New to Linux which distro to be used for Lenovo ideapad 130-151kb

JohanPH

Reaction score
Credits
Hi I'm a complete newbie with Linux. Reading conflicting answers for Installing Linux on a Lenovo ideapad 130-151kb with a Intel corei7 5th Gen. Is possible? which distro to use and work around?

Regards

Last edited:

Welcome to the forums,
Personally, I have found Lenovo no more difficult than any other pad to install Linux to. All make have their idiosyncrasies,
with over 500 different distributions, many for specific uses, there is no such thing as the best distribution, only what is best for you, the world is your Oyster as they say,
As a newbie to Linux, my suggestion is that you use one of the main stream builds, which include non-free drivers for ease of installation. Before you make a final choice, try running five or six different ones, with different desk tops "live" from a pen-drive to see which you like the look and feel of the best and feel most comfortable with, then you can install it,
https://distrowatch.com/ list the current top 100 distributions
take your time

Hello JohanPH
Welcome to Linux.org forums, As has already been said try a few Distros with live usb then choose the one that seems to work the best for your machine and you work flow. Enjoy the process and learn all you can. Check out the download section.

I'll add this to the list:

What makes you think it won't work? What kinda conflicting information are you coming across?

It can be a bit of a hassle to get Linux running on some hardware (depending on your level of experience), more often than not you can get Linux up and running with almost zero fuss and zero muss.

Ubuntu might be just the right option for you. Going with a well known distro for the first time really helps other to find solutions to your problems. Take your time to get used to linux and then you can do something a little harder every day if the fun is there to you.

Ubuntu might be just the right option for you.

Or an official flavor if they don't want the GNOME desktop environment. There are other choices closer to what they're used to and GNOME can be less than appealing to new people. The official Ubuntu flavors are literally just Ubuntu with different default software and different desktop. There's Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Budgie, etc...

These two links may interest you, now that I think about it.

Members online

Latest posts