New to Linux -

Reene

Reaction score
Credits
have been a windows use and want to GET AWAY!:) Purchased an Acer but since the warranty will be void if I load Linux, I'm returning it.
Looking at a Dell Precision 15-3541 - priced at $826. Ubuntu installed by Dell 2-3 wk lead time. free ship.
would have liked a touch screen, but if I cant its not a deal breaker.

Would appreciate some feedback before I purchase it. Also would appreciate suggestions. Be gentile, i'll get the hang of it but not familiar with the jargon

Thanks!
Reene

G'day Reene, and Welcome to linux.org

THIS MACHINE ?

The difference in price will be USD vs AUD

That would most likely perform like a bat out of hell.

Seeing your title is "New to Linux", how sure are you that you want Ubuntu ?

Have you tried it on another PC ?

Do you still have your PC which runs/ran Win 10

If you want to have a look at/try out other Linux Distros, we can help with that on your old pc

Likely contenders might be LInux Mint 19.3....that is just one amongst many, many others.

I am not trying to make this any more complex than it needs to be, however, Linux Mint is very user friendly. I used to use win 10 around 5 years ago. Like you I became fed up and followed a tutorial to load linux mint onto a thumb drive (usb drive/pen drive etc )and make the pc boot to that thumb drive. I instantly loved it and still run it now.

I also "tried" various other distros including Ubuntu and many others.....but for me Linux Mint won the race.

Dont misunderstand me....Ubuntu is a very good distro. It is the feeling of 'comfort' that won me over with Linux Mint,

If you still have the old pc and decide to give a few distros a spin, just let us know

A word of reassurance. Running any Linux distro on a usb/thumb drive will not do any harm to the pc

The distro runs in the RAM.....NOT on the hard drive.....so when you close that distro and pull the usb/thumb drive out, Thats it !!......there are NO traces left behind and no possibility of any damage.

Just something for you to think about

G'day @Reene from another Aussie :)

I agree with both of the above, except perhaps for the "overkill" part :)

I have been buying mostly Dells since 2005 and any time I wander, I get a lemon.

Been using Linux exclusively since 2014, and Linux and Dell is a match made in heaven, IMO

Happy choosing

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Be gentile, i'll get the hang of it but not familiar with the jargon
G'day and welcome
I cannot add to what my compatriots said though, just a little advice always remember that Linux is neither Vindows nor Mac so you will encounter a learning curve. How steep that curve is, is up to you and how you apply yourself in the learning. Going on the attitude that you displayed in your first post you will be OK. :)
You will be come familiar with the jargon, no sweat.:cool:

hp has you covered mate . with wide range of ubuntu mechains.

I currently have a Hp Pavilion 570-p054 desktop it working fine in Linux it started it life out a windows mechaine but wannty ran out so i switch to ubuntu 20.04 . After fresh install it gave me the hp factory logo and Ubuntu logo and it also gave a option to install oem . just remember that all computer you buy will come with bloot wear. A 2nd had computer might be better if you going to be running games . as you dont have warranty and is cheaper .One you have the computer just add a better power supply and add a good graphic card with the money you have left over . anything processor with 4 cores and up should be enought to play gams, just stay away from amd fx processoers
bulldozer and piledriver are no good .

Last edited:
I know from personal experience that choosing which laptop or desktop computer to purchase is a very deep rabbit hole! That being said, it generally boils down to price range. All the major players have similar equipment for sale and the price is usually what determines the quality of the components inside. Common sense really.

If you get a computer with Linux pre-installed that is a big 'plus' because the manufacturer will provide support. Personally, I would not hesitate to install Linux on any new PC I purchased even if it meant I was on my own after that. They may not "support" Linux but they would still have to warranty their product.

I don't like Ubuntu and would not use it for my 'daily driver' but perhaps it works well for the 'new Linux user'. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So, let's not get into distro wars. It's fun for a while, until it becomes overwhelming - and quite boring.

That Dell is a decent machine, and if it comes with Ubuntu pre-installed, that's a good starting point. If you become familiar with Linux with this machine and then later tire of Ubuntu, you can easily replace it with anything.

if the price it right, go for it. Dell PCs and laptops are generally good hardware platforms for doing most anything.

and again a New member who doesn't check for answers to the question he/she asked......5 days now

Suggestions:
16 Places To Buy A Linux Laptop With Linux Preloaded
The Best Linux Distros for Laptops in 2019

The Precision 3541 looks like a workstation for AutoCAD or GIS. I like the nVidia GPU. What is your intended use of it?

To me, it looks like overkill. But if you can get such new at that price, more power to you!

Hello, thank you for your support! sorry for the delay in my response...... the saga continues.

Honestly, I haven't a clue on how I'll be using this machine. I just lost my job due to the pandemic and it's a new world for me. In the past, with my work, I'd use simple AutoCAD, make fairly nice powerpoint presentations, excel sheets - no pivot tables. Used many photos. But that was then.

now...ive got lots of photos, music?, emails of course, and at the moment, resumes will be a plenty!

G'day and welcome
I cannot add to what my compatriots said though, just a little advice always remember that Linux is neither Vindows nor Mac so you will encounter a learning curve. How steep that curve is, is up to you and how you apply yourself in the learning. Going on the attitude that you displayed in your first post you will be OK. :)
You will be come familiar with the jargon, no sweat.:cool:
Hello, thank you for your support! sorry for the delay in my response...... the saga continues.

Honestly, I haven't a clue on how I'll be using this machine. I just lost my job due to the pandemic and it's a new world for me. In the past, with my work, I'd use simple AutoCAD, make fairly nice powerpoint presentations, excel sheets - no pivot tables. Used many photos. But that was then.

now...ive got lots of photos, music?, emails of course, and at the moment, resumes will be a plenty!

thanks for your reply....and your vote of confidence!. I under
G'day Reene, and Welcome to linux.org

THIS MACHINE ?

The difference in price will be USD vs AUD

That would most likely perform like a bat out of hell.

Seeing your title is "New to Linux", how sure are you that you want Ubuntu ?

Have you tried it on another PC ?

Do you still have your PC which runs/ran Win 10

If you want to have a look at/try out other Linux Distros, we can help with that on your old pc

Likely contenders might be LInux Mint 19.3....that is just one amongst many, many others.

I am not trying to make this any more complex than it needs to be, however, Linux Mint is very user friendly. I used to use win 10 around 5 years ago. Like you I became fed up and followed a tutorial to load linux mint onto a thumb drive (usb drive/pen drive etc )and make the pc boot to that thumb drive. I instantly loved it and still run it now.

I also "tried" various other distros including Ubuntu and many others.....but for me Linux Mint won the race.

Dont misunderstand me....Ubuntu is a very good distro. It is the feeling of 'comfort' that won me over with Linux Mint,

If you still have the old pc and decide to give a few distros a spin, just let us know

A word of reassurance. Running any Linux distro on a usb/thumb drive will not do any harm to the pc

The distro runs in the RAM.....NOT on the hard drive.....so when you close that distro and pull the usb/thumb drive out, Thats it !!......there are NO traces left behind and no possibility of any damage.

Just something for you to think about

Hi Condo...thanks for your input. Here's the thing...originally I thought i'd use Mint as well however Dell says if mint is installed, it voids the warranty.. Why is using Linux so difficult? I can use Windows fairly well...Id say better than average. I'll be on my own when it comes to Linux - Ubuntu - this is the only system that Dell willl load. Im wondering if its so so difficult to lean the Ubuntu, maybe i should learn Windows 10...…

thanks for your reply....and your vote of confidence!. I under

Hi Condo...thanks for your input. Here's the thing...originally I thought i'd use Mint as well however Dell says if mint is installed, it voids the warranty.. Why is using Linux so difficult? I can use Windows fairly well...Id say better than average. I'll be on my own when it comes to Linux - Ubuntu - this is the only system that Dell willl load. Im wondering if its so so difficult to lean the Ubuntu, maybe i should learn Windows 10...…have never used Linux...never saw Ubuntu or Mint....im a total newbie. I just do not like windows any more....all the stuff they've put on my computer...."must" updates...pop ups...Norton...the whole thing...wanted something different....does this make sense or am I asking for problems?

Dell says if mint is installed, it voids the warranty.
How long does the so called warranty last for?

Seems as though Dell thinks that there is a difference to Ubuntu and Linux Mint. The only real difference is they handle and do things slightly differently as Mint 19.2 and 19.3 are based upon Ubuntu though there is a version of Mint called LMDE which is purely based on Debian and no input from Ubuntu.
It is your computer and you are the pilot and have complete control what goes into it.

Personally this is what I would be doing:-
Should I desire the warranty then I would mount Ubuntu then use a USB stick with Mint installed, with Mint having a persistence so that when I log out of my session it remembers all my settings for it. Then set-up the grub menu so when the stick is in its slot it defaults to Linux Mint but when it is not present on the system it loads up Ubuntu. Till the warranty ran out then just load up Mint straight onto the HDD.

Or

Should I not give a rats about their generally next to useless warranty I would just load Mint straight up and to hell with them trying to dictate what I can and cannot have on my computer hardware.

This is just from my perspective, your perspective will be different to mine as you know your own situation and your abilities better than I.

Just something to think about.

(Continuing Nik_Ken-Bah's train of thought) or get a small 2.5" SSD, place it in an external hard drive enclosure of proper specs, and use the external SSD for Mint or Knoppix or MX or whatever distro you choose to begin on. (Not that I favor debian over 'buntus--LOL).

Best wishes! And perish the thought of Win10!

Members online

Latest posts