New to Linux

watson

Reaction score
Credits
Wondering which distribution to go with. I'm a basic beginner. I like easy. I am used to windows and android phones. My main goal is simple and security. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Watson

You did give some criteria, which does sorta narrow it down - but not much. Not nearly as much as you might think.

Security is what you do, not what the OS does. Regardless of the distro you choose, you will be the weakest link in the security chain. (This is true for all of us.) Security is a process, not an application.

So, next on your list is simple. Simple for you means something different to me - and to the next person, and to the next person. We don't know how you define simple or what you are capable of digesting or what how long it will take you to learn.

With that in mind, I'd recommend this link:

Do you want to go with something that looks familiar to a Windows user? Do you want something that looks more like Android? Do you want something that works out of the box, or do you want to customize everything? Do you want to have as much opensource software as you can get?

The list of questions is endless. This question will likely get you answers that show you their preferences, and that's absolutely okay - but they'll be telling you what worked for them and you should find what works for you.

If you're new to Linux and want something that works out of the box I recommend giving Linux Mint a spin. That's provided your pc has enough RAM and the right CPU.

What's your machines specs?

You can try it Live on a USB if you don't want to install it right away. OR> run it in a vm.

I personally would grab several distros, run them in Virtualbox, and play around with each one so you know which one works for you

It's not elementary my dear Watson!

I am also a noob so just my 2c. It is worth getting something popular so you'll have more chance of getting correct advice.

@watson
Greetings and welcome!
My opinion is that Linux Mint is the easiest distro to transition to from Windows.
Several reasons for that include:
1-MATE is very similar to the Windows desktop look and feel.
2-The Mint community is very active and supportive.
3-Most everything just works out of the box. No need to jump through hoops to get things working.
4-It is harder to break than many other distros.
Remember, that is my opinion and not something written in stone; as is every other recommendation you may see here on the forum.
Once again, welcome and enjoy your journey on the Linux roller-coaster!!!
Old Geezer, Tango Charlie

It's not elementary my dear Watson!

I am also a noob so just my 2c. It is worth getting something popular so you'll have more chance of getting correct advice.
I'm not sure thats totally true; when researching some problems i noted say on Ubuntu forums along the lines of "yeah i've got the same problem , how do we fix it", whereas Slackware (marginally less popular ?) and with users being the longest running Distro and ∴ having more years of experience i found : " this is how you solve it"

I'm not sure thats totally true; when researching some problems i noted say on Ubuntu forums along the lines of "yeah i've got the same problem , how do we fix it", whereas Slackware (marginally less popular ?) and with users being the longest running Distro and ∴ having more years of experience i found : " this is how you solve it"

Interesting. Maybe it's more applicable to me, and lubuntu / Ubuntu. I suppose if it's on the same lineage or something.

But what you say makes sense too

there was a "modicom" of truth in my post , but also a large dose of "tongue in cheek" . The hint was in me saying slackware is marginally less popular than Ubuntu. Of course Ubuntu/Mint is hugely popular , whereas if Slackware is less popular its by a wide margin ?

there was a "modicom" of truth in my post , but also a large dose of "tongue in cheek" . The hint was in me saying slackware is marginally less popular than Ubuntu. Of course Ubuntu/Mint is hugely popular , whereas if Slackware is less popular its by a wide margin ?

I did read that but, but I've only heard of Slackware for about a week! It didn't even register tbh. I kinda thought you'd just said Slackware because you use it!

I'm not sure if there is a definitive way to know what's popularly used, but on distrowatch (according to page rank) Lubuntu is one place behind Slackware!

So maybe I'll follow my initial advice and switch to Slackware, then bombard you with questions on how to use it. :cool:

Just switched from win. Now using mint 20.1 and loving it. it feels familiar butt it works without all the poo.

Latest posts