New User, Old Computer

H

hpierce

I have an older computer that I would like to convert to Linux. I want something that is fairly easy to use, since I plan on using this as my daughter's first computer. I know LinuxMint is usually recommended to try first, but I know it isn't really compatible with a touchscreen, which this computer has. I have hardware details below:

Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N550 @ 1.50 GHz 1.50 GHz
RAM: 2.00 GB
System: 32-bit Operating System (Current running Windows 7)
Pen and Touch: Touch Input Available with 2 Touch Points

For the best touchscreen support, the Google-machine tells me you should check out Gnome 3 desktops on any distro, or try Ubuntu with Unity desktop. Whatever distro you get, pick the 64-bit version since your Atom N550 supports 64-bit instructions.

Cheers!

I have an older computer that I would like to convert to Linux. I want something that is fairly easy to use, since I plan on using this as my daughter's first computer. I know LinuxMint is usually recommended to try first, but I know it isn't really compatible with a touchscreen, which this computer has. I have hardware details below:

I concur with atanere!..... :3 On my new ASUS Q503UA, Unity, (and I assume Gnome, which I don't currently have), works like a charm!!...... ^^

Nice! Bring her up so she is not dependent on Windows! Please let us know how it works out, and welcome to the group.:D:D Is she old enough to be in school yet?

Ciao for now
Paul

Latest posts