New user saying hello :)

bodeplot

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All,

This looks like a really nice site :)

I'm a Electronics Technician from Adelaide, South Australia. I'm exclusively a hardware dude now days. My current interests are RF filters and antenna design (hence my username). However, in a past life (in the 90s), I was a degree educated open source Linux developer (or "programmer" as we used to call ourselves back then). Two of my projects become popular in the 90s in the Linux scene.

I'm back here because I got access to some free web hosting. I decided to dust off and revamp a web space I created in the 90s. I came across some of the work I had done and become a bit teary eyed. This prompted me to restore an old X-Windows game (Some of you may have seen my announcement). It's been so long since I cracked open a C file. I kept on forgetting to put the ";" in the first week LOL :). I think I wrote my last C program in 2009 ?

Other than that, I'm an old X gen fart (I'm not grumpy though) whose into motorcycles and windsurfing. My career has pretty much finished now, and I don't chase it. it's a live slow and die whenever attitude for me now. Look forward to engaging you all in discussions :)

J

Hello @bodeplot ! Welcome to the forums and community! :) Looking forward to reading your posts! What's your distribution of choice? And what other programming languages do you know? I'm currently working on learning python :)

Welcome to the community!
I've already replied to your post about Nighthawk. As a professional C/C++ programmer, I'd be more than happy to take a look at it. See if there are any bugs to wrinkle out.

Other than a few minor mods to some suckless.org software, I haven't done a lot of C programming in the last 16 years or so. C++ only in my current job. But it shouldn't take long to get re-acclimatised!

Last edited:
G'day bodeplot, Welcome to linux.org

This looks like a really nice site
You are quite correct. A good place to be. Friendly people.

G'day Jason from yet another Aussie - I am from Stanthorpe (Applethorpe) in the curly bit of the QLD/NSW border.

I approved your Nighthawk Thread the other day when it came across my desk for some reason. Had I known you were Aussie of course I would have rolled out the red carpet ;)

We hope you enjoy the community and look forward to your involvement. Brian @Condobloke and I came here 3.5 years ago from a site that resembled Stalag 13 but without the humour of Klink, Hogan and Schultz. We were welcomed just as you are, and hang our hats here as Home on pretty much a daily basis.

Enjoy your Linux

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW - I have no idea what a bodeplot is ... but then I have lost the plot, which does not bode well.

(I could have helped that)

Thanks all for your replies :)

@f33dm3bits, I've always had limited net access. So, my distribution of choice is one that is fairly bug free. I normally download two and choose the one that gives me less grief. For the past 5 years, I've been using Mint Linux. This was because it was one of the first 64 bit dists. I've got Ubuntu 20.04 running on spare notebook I installed recently to test my game. I like the MATE desktop in Mint. It's basic. I like that. The tablet style Desktop in Ubuntu 20.04, I can't get my head around it LOL :)

At the start of my career it was COBOL and Pascal. When I got into demo writing, it was assembly language and C. Then learning the C++ extension (I don't really like C++ extension). Perl (which I don't use much now days). A bit of Java from time to time (I wrote a small personal Android app a few years ago to explore the Android development kit). Now days I'm big on Python. I don't really like Python, but it's easy to use, handles object orientated programming very well and is very popular. End of the day, you go with what is popular. It's going to be the most supported and tested.

@wizardfromoz, In electronic communications, Bode (pronounced "Bow day") plots are graphs that express responses of devices (ie: a cable, a capacitor, an transistor etc). It will show you how the device amplifies or attenuates the signal at a given frequency in graph form. It will also show you the phase shift that the device causes at a given frequency. it was a random name I choose for an electronics forum I joined a few years back :)

Thanks for your help @JasKinasis :)

Welcome!

If you need more free hosting, let me know. I can toss some space and bandwidth (gratis) at you.

Now that I think about it, I can probably do that for a few more people if they have interesting projects they want to get online.

Bode (pronounced "Bow day")

Damn, that wrecks my pun - "which does not bow-day well" :D, scratch one for the Wizard.

Wondered with your career, and particularly COBOL, whether you had any involvement with the Y2K influence on programming?

Wiz

Wondered with your career, and particularly COBOL, whether you had any involvement with the Y2K influence on programming?
What a beat up that was. I was writing back end software for an ISP then and didn't have demonstrate that type of compliance as my boss had a clue LOL :)

Welcome!

If you need more free hosting, let me know. I can toss some space and bandwidth (gratis) at you.

Now that I think about it, I can probably do that for a few more people if they have interesting projects they want to get online.
Thanks for the offer KGill :)

I've just changed by ISP carrier. As a result I lost of web space (which I only just got going again 2 months ago). Loosing this space has come at a really bad time. I had to scramble to change the URLs in the game I'm about to release.

However, I might go with a local commercial web host this time. They are pretty cheap now days anyway. I've always either got free hosting off the ISP, or bummed off friends etc. It's time I brought my own :)

J

Members online

Latest posts