New World on Linux

TheProf

Reaction score
Credits
Unfortunately I could not get this to work in Linux... based on ProtonDB no one else has either due to the anti-cheat software.... Right now would be a good time to have the EAC supported on Linux for this game!

Hopefully the game devs will make this work as right now I have to use Windows to play... Kind of not fun :)

Hopefully the game devs will make this work as right now I have to use Windows to play... Kind of not fun :)
I have tried since Tuesday launch, and my 7hr que time has deemed me uneligable for a refund. Why did Amazon have to solely release this through Steam? Has anyone VM'd this. I am getting VRAM errors....with this and only this game.

I have tried since Tuesday launch, and my 7hr que time has deemed me uneligable for a refund. Why did Amazon have to solely release this through Steam? Has anyone VM'd this. I am getting VRAM errors....with this and only this game.

I havent tried to use a VM, but you'd probably need to pass-through a GPU for that to work well. For now, I have to use Windows. But for the queues, it was not so bad for me, I joined a mid population server, was ok. For sure if you try to join the high pop server, you'll be queued up.

With that said, I agree about the queues though, this is Amazon who owns AWS, they should now how to scale their apps ;)

I havent tried to use a VM, but you'd probably need to pass-through a GPU for that to work well. For now, I have to use Windows. But for the queues, it was not so bad for me, I joined a mid population server, was ok. For sure if you try to join the high pop server, you'll be queued up.

With that said, I agree about the queues though, this is Amazon who owns AWS, they should now how to scale their apps ;)
Yeah, I only have one win device in the house, (MSI I7 laptop). It will power this, np, but having to have it take up desk space just for one game....blah. I created a VM late lastnight but ran into Vram complaints from NW. What I meant was why couldnt Amazon release this direct? They could always option to Steam, and also sell it direct through their site. Don't you think it would have been easier for all. I managed to get ESO, GW 1&2, FFXIV all to run superbly through just Wine and Lutris. :)

Yeah, I only have one win device in the house, (MSI I7 laptop). It will power this, np, but having to have it take up desk space just for one game....blah. I created a VM late lastnight but ran into Vram complaints from NW. What I meant was why couldnt Amazon release this direct? They could always option to Steam, and also sell it direct through their site. Don't you think it would have been easier for all. I managed to get ESO, GW 1&2, FFXIV all to run superbly through just Wine and Lutris. :)

I think for the gaming studios, Steam is quite an interesting option because it is the biggest distribution platform out there. But the queue issues seem to stem from Amazon limiting the number of active players per server. I am sure part of it has to do with the fact that they're targeting a large group of gamers by going through steam, so these queues might be expected to a certain extent... I mean there are also queues in FF14 and depending on the server, in WoW you see the same thing from time to time.

Lots of hype for this game, I personally think the hype will die down in about 1 month once people get to the end game and realize there is not all that much to do (maybe I am wrong on this part, but so far its what I think will happen).

:) Hopefully by then someone way smarter than I will have figured the workings for Linux game play. Because the Devs over at Proton missed that boat.

Gaming on Linux in a Windows vm isn't really gaming on Linux, so it doesn't count as gaming on Linux.

:) Hopefully by then someone way smarter than I will have figured the workings for Linux game play. Because the Devs over at Proton missed that boat.

I think it’s just a matter of support the anti-cheat software through proton for this game… once this is done, New World should work, but this needs to be enabled by the software devs.

I personally think there shouldn't be a need to run anti-cheat software on the client side, with technology available today it could only be run on the server side in combination with machine learning.

I personally think there shouldn't be a need to run anti-cheat software on the client side, with technology available today it could only be run on the server side in combination with machine learning.

Hey f33dm3bits,

sorry but that is just wrong. Seen with VALVE's VACnet, these AI-driven approaches are most likely only memes. To protect your game as good as possible a client-sided anti cheat is simply required, with at least a kernel module to it. The so far only good working approaches are all this way (FaceIT AC, EasyAntiCheat, etc..). Sure there are still some ways to cheat and bypass these anti cheats, but the possibility is very low and it requires a ton of knowledge to get this far. There are dozen available cheats for CS:GO, most of them are VAC undetected. There are almost no purchasable hacks available with EAC or FaceIT/ESEA support. There are some, but these are sold exclusively to closer and trusted communities.

As far as I love FOSS, when it comes to preventing cheaters, a client-sided approach is simply required, as long as the user runs the game on his machine (which I hope stays like that for a while).

Cheers

sorry but that is just wrong.
It is wrong to have to run rootkits to play a game on your own pc.

Seems Activision has made a start in the good direction with Richochet.
Another layer in the battle against cheaters is the evolving use of machine learning (ML). ML algorithms examine gameplay data from the server, helping to identify suspicious behavior trends, and add another layer of security as part of the overall RICOCHET Anti-Cheat initiative.
Hopefully they eventually work towards not needing to run rootkits on the client-side anymore.

Last edited:
It is wrong to have to run rootkits to play a game on your own pc.

Why tho? It is literally the only way to properly prevent cheating.

Seems Activision has made a start in the good direction with Richochet.

Hopefully they eventually work towards not needing to run rootkits on the client-side anymore.
I highly doubt that. Machine Learning as Anti Cheat is a meme. Look at VACnet, it doesn't work at all.

Why tho? It is literally the only way to properly prevent cheating.

I highly doubt that. Machine Learning as Anti Cheat is a meme. Look at VACnet, it doesn't work at all.
Because it gives the anti-cheat vendor the ability to run and read anything on your system, I don't trust any company with that kind of power. What if they get hacked or if hackers find a way to get access to the kernel through the ant-cheat software running on your system? There is more than one solution to different problems, the way they are currently doing anti-cheat isn't the only way of doing it and if they haven't thought of something different it will take time before they think of something new.

Rome wasn't built in a day and evolution didn't happen over night.
What does Reddit think?

Last edited: