Newbee needs help!!

I upgraded for 18.04 to 20.04 6 mos. ago & had many updates since but the last update caused my keyboard & touch pad to stop working.
You may want to check which kernel you are using now which is giving you problems.
According to the screenshot in #11 above it is
Code:
Linux 5.4.0-47-generic x86_64

If you reinstall and the older kernel works fine keep note of that and don't update the kernel to the newer version. Keep an eye on the Ubuntu Update Manager and examine the updates being offered. 'De-select' the newer kernel to avoid installing it.

It looks like you also have the
Code:
5.4.0-45
kernel installed which would make sense.
If that kernel worked well, ie. keyboard worked, etc., then update to that if wanted but no further.

P.S. This all assumes that a kernel update is the culprit. Possibly there is some other cause ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In your original post you say "After upd
ating my ubuntu 20.04" - does that mean you had Ubuntu 20.04 installed and running fine, everything worked, and then after an update the keyboard stopped working?

I ask because sometimes people confuse "upgrading" with "updating".

Well, if the keyboard worked during the Grub menu screen it would have been 'easy-peasy' :(
I think perhaps the easiest solution may therefore be to re-install Ubuntu.

Do you know if the Ubuntu 20.04 on that stick works well for you?
The keyboard did work well during the Grub menu screen. Inputting the /bin/bash with the keyboard but stopped working after reboot!!!!

That is through the line saying "Advanced Options", Richard :)

I upgraded for 18.04 to 20.04 6 mos. ago & had many updates since but the last update caused my keyboard & touch pad to stop working.
Was a bit fast suggesting it is this bug. It sounds like it, but so far for HP and Acer's using the 5.4.0-45 Kernels. Should list your computer and your kernel to make sure. uname -a in terminal for kernel. External USB or wireless keyboards and mice do seem to work. – crip659 Sep 14 at 11:29

Looks like a kernel issue here. Reverting back to previous Kernel 5.4.0-42 will cure the keyboard issue.

G'day Richard :)

I am a little confused here. Does

Was a bit fast suggesting it is this bug. It sounds like it, but so far for HP and Acer's using the 5.4.0-45 Kernels. Should list your computer and your kernel to make sure. uname -a in terminal for kernel. External USB or wireless keyboards and mice do seem to work. – crip659 Sep 14 at 11:29

Looks like a kernel issue here. Reverting back to previous Kernel 5.4.0-42 will cure the keyboard issue.

... include a reference from an article found on the Net? If so, can you quote a link so we can take a look-see?

Did you want us to continue on trying to help with the built-in keyboard?

Cheers

Wizard

G'day Richard :)

I am a little confused here. Does

... include a reference from an article found on the Net? If so, can you quote a link so we can take a look-see?

Did you want us to continue on trying to help with the built-in keyboard?

Cheers

Wizard
No I reverted back to the previous kernel & the keyboard & mouse work great. The link I got the info from is https://askubuntu.com/.

Because neither touchpad & keyboard work, I'm unable to get into Grub Menu @ start up,please help.

Can you get into the BIOS/UEFI?
If not, then this isn't a Linux problem, it's a hardware problem.

Henceforth it may behoove you to create Timeshift snapshots before installing updates and especially before installing any kernel updates.

I generally do not update my kernel unless the update is for a serious security issue which is being actively exploited in the wild.
With Livepatch can you stop it from updating the kernal?

With Livepatch can you stop it from updating the kernal?
Hmmmm.... good question...
My recent foray with Ubuntu on my testing machine gives me pause to ponder because I found the Ubuntu update application to be very "Windows like".

On my Linux Mint 19.3 system the Update Manager always shows the available updates and there are 'tick boxes' to 'de-select' certain updates if one does not want to install them.

I suspect Ubuntu may offer the same functionality but the 'default' Ubuntu updater is less than ideal - IMHO (in my humble opinion).

Perhaps an Ubuntu user here or a web search utilizing duckduckgo.com or Startpage.com may reveal some useful insight on this matter.

Hmmmm.... good question...
My recent foray with Ubuntu on my testing machine gives me pause to ponder because I found the Ubuntu update application to be very "Windows like".

On my Linux Mint 19.3 system the Update Manager always shows the available updates and there are 'tick boxes' to 'de-select' certain updates if one does not want to install them.

I suspect Ubuntu may offer the same functionality but the 'default' Ubuntu updater is less than ideal - IMHO (in my humble opinion).

Perhaps an Ubuntu user here or a web search utilizing duckduckgo.com or Startpage.com may reveal some useful insight on this matter.
Thanks for the update. Maybe I'll put Mint 19.3 on my laptop,same a my desk top so I can pick & choose updates also.

Members online