newbie advice please

Shiva42

Reaction score
Credits
Experienced with Linux and PC's, just got my first Mac (Macbook pro, 15", 16gb ram, 256gb SSD, DVD burner).

I'm wanting to dual boot this macbook, should I use grub or a different method for the mac? Thanks in advance for any specific advice, I've had mixed results dual-booting laptops in the past, do this routinely for my Windows desktops...

Some folks use rEFInd, which is something I've absolutely never touched.

@KGIII well.. rEFInd you should and it could be the title for a new Topic ? i've got it on USb . I've tested it to boot Windows (uefi) motherboard and slackware(uefi) it can boot both. Mac i'm not sure

Rodney Smith is your man : http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/index.html he does respond to emails as well

Follow Andy's advice

I think they might mean for my site - another topic for that. I'm not really sure. It's kinda vague.

Buggered if I know. If I ever get bored/curious, I'll look into it.

Is it any good? Any benefits over grub?
i haven't installed rEFInd on hard drive; its on a usb with the intention of using as a boot rescue tool . I found it works a treat on both Windows 10 and even slackware. The way to use from usb is to insert usb with rEFInd; hit appropriate key to boot from usb. The rEFInd scans the PC for OS and gives options to boot.

Thanks for the responses. Have any of you successfully used GRUB in the proposed environment? The typical problems I've run into previously (with Windows laptops), is that all the formatting, partitioning, and installation all appear to run and complete correctly, but upon reboot, I never get the GRUB dual-boot menu. Just a little gun-shy about trying it on the Mac I guess. I much less knowledgeable about Mac's than Win products. FWIW, I'm probably going Linux Mint, unless anyone has any feedback on that choice, especially better choices than that distribution?

I'm probably going Linux Mint, unless anyone has any feedback on that choice, especially better choices than that distribution?
G'day Shiva42.
Mint is my main Distro I use all the time and being the old fogey that I be I have no problems with it at all just the usaul hiccups every so often. I run a Cinnamon desktop version of 19.2 Tina .
Were I to decide to use another distro instead then it would either be Manjaro or MX which because I can be slacko haven't installed as my secondary distros as of yet.
But in the realm Linux the best distro for yourself is the one that satisfies what you wish to do on your machine and as @wizardfromoz is apt to say "you are the pilot of your machine".

G'day Shiva42.
Mint is my main Distro I use all the time and being the old fogey that I be I have no problems with it at all just the usaul hiccups every so often. I run a Cinnamon desktop version of 19.2 Tina .
Were I to decide to use another distro instead then it would either be Manjaro or MX which because I can be slacko haven't installed as my secondary distros as of yet.
But in the realm Linux the best distro for yourself is the one that satisfies what you wish to do on your machine and as @wizardfromoz is apt to say "you are the pilot of your machine".
Good morning @Shiva42
Let me add this to what @Nik-Ken-Bah and @wizardfromoz said about "you are the pilot of your machine." When it comes to Linux, you really are the "Pilot in command!" of your machine. Not like Windows where you need permission to do almost anything!
Old Geezer, Tango Charlie

Members online

Latest posts