newest kid on the block

i am going to run through the process myself using new usb and wifes windows 10 laptop.

I got corrupted img but that may be due to bad internet ; down loading iso onto linux pc ...

ok salix working i will tell you about it but first i have to call @70-tango-charlie over before i introduce you to the " Amoeba method" .

An Amoeba is a single cell organism that lives in fresh water. It doesn't have much brains so when it moves and hits a wall , it can't figure out how to get paste it. So what it does , is move a little to the right and try again. A bit more "bang" ..a bit more, it carries on until it gets past barrier in way

This concept applies to computers and installing linux

Last edited:
So i got a failure with unetbootin ; what did i do ? i tried the Amoeba method. First i headed over to https://www.salixos.org/download.html to get the iso myself i'm on 64 bit HP laptop so i chose : SalixLive64 Xfce 14.2.1 DVD ISO (x86_64, 64-bit)

I clicked the link get it from source forge

You don't have to install the rufus .exe just run it. i had to take screenshot with phone , have a look at it. Because i had just tried unetbootin and had labeled it "salixos" thats whats showing up for "device" on rufus dialog menu. Next there is abutton below of device , and right of "boot selection" - meaning what you will be booting. It will give you a naviagtion to find your iso. Best you downloaded it or drop and drag to desktop. Then its just a case of hitting start button.

Attachments

• rufus2.jpg
    rufus2.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 481
once completed you can boot from stick .to get to this point i had to get to bios as "admin"
user on windows. I had to disable secure boot, then enable legacy support. Then i fiddled with boot order so that usb was first. I powered down , powered up and hit F9,. I got the image your seeing

Attachments

• boot_options.jpg
    boot_options.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 520
i used up and down arrows to highlight usb option, then hit return. I got images attached as salixos was booting up and giving me choices . So in summary i downloaded a "live" salixos iso to Windows desktop. I downloaded rufus to Desktop. i used rufus to iso onto usb. I selected usb from boot menu.

If you follow my steps you should be ok; if at first you don't succeed try the "Amoeba method"

Attachments

• salixos_booting.jpg
    salixos_booting.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 519
  • salixos_desktop.jpg
    salixos_desktop.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 503
SAlixos Is a nice light Distro that you can play with. it has some inbuilt text editor etc.

restart they used to call "warm boot" ; shutdown completely then power up and keep hitting esc key ; tell us what happens

@captain-sensible I really appreciate your being so busy try your amoeba spiel. And especially as it was succesfull. Sorry I havn't been at home all day to try it myself. I will in the morning as I'm very tired now, too tired to do anything a delicate as this. I have read through your instructions and I need to do again in morning. Thanks you so much. H

well let me tell you regarding the Amoeba - it is a bit of English humor of course ;but i am having looking at logs coming down the river and webs i have are using a php framework stuck at php 5.4 and not being updated to 7+ thus i have to start thinking of switching to something more mainstream i.e Symfony 5. Thus i am really probably feeling exactly what your going through in that feel i'm hitting brick wall occasionally.

So i guess its a case of us both plodding on ..and with a bit of luck and grace of God we might get there !

Just to clarify the Salixos is going to be live version, but its a start

Last edited:
ok salix working i will tell you about it but first i have to call @70-tango-charlie over before i introduce you to the " Amoeba method" .

An Amoeba is a single cell organism that lives in fresh water. It doesn't have much brains so when it moves and hits a wall , it can't figure out how to get paste it. So what it does , is move a little to the right and try again. A bit more "bang" ..a bit more, it carries on until it gets past barrier in way

This concept applies to computers and installing linux
Hey @captain-sensible
The amoeba method works best for me! Maybe that's why I am bald with a funny shaped head. LOL.
When I started using computers in 1993, I found that the best way for me to learn was to push buttons and see what happens. Then I soon found out that I needed to start remembering which buttons I pushed to get what I got!
Once I got that figured out, I realized that my memory was not as good as it used to be; so I had to start writing things down.
Then after compiling lots of notes and stuff, I would have a difficult time remembering where I stored things.
As you can see, I have been just like your Amoeba!
That is also one of the reasons I love screen shots. Pictures might tell a fuller story of things, than words can do by themselves.
{I sometimes wonder how I got through high school and one class in college}
Enough already.
Watch out you brick walls, Old Geezer is coming after you again!!! LOL.
Old Geezer
TC

As long as it works for you; or what works for other people is all that matters.

I have a simple approach to when i read something and i don't understand it. I leave it for a bit go back read and then leave it again. I keep repeating this cycle until i do understand it.
I have found that stuff that i came to the conclusion that I could not understand, given time i could in fact understand it 1

@captain-sensible This is a screenshop of mt desktop after download. I am totally confused here, so is this right?
l can't do anything with it. Will not move to Desktop because a file is open?? I have moves the folders but the image file hangs. ?? It took me over an hours to get this far. Really depleted.

Attachments

• desktp salixos 1.jpg
    desktp salixos 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 485
if the rufus utility went as it should be this is what you would see in usb stick.i just thought of another problem maybe i can see one drive there. One frustrating thing with with windows 10 is that unlike in the old days when there was "my computer" you could navigate around. Also one drive starts kicking in so that it interfers where files go.

Attachments

• slackware_desktop1.jpg
    slackware_desktop1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 516
i don't know whether first you control windows and look into tweaking "files are downloaded to pc" because i can see ,or found with wife that 1) with all the smoke screen of icons i could hardly see where i was going 2) onedrive meant files might nit be direcly on PC

The first step is to get rufus onto desktop and be able to run it . I can see efi in that graphic image suggesting sort of boot. the file tab is open also so, file on desktop open ?i'm back on linux so can't see inside that rufus.exe

Last edited:
@captain-sensible This is a screenshop of mt desktop after download. I am totally confused here, so is this right?
l can't do anything with it. Will not move to Desktop because a file is open?? I have moves the folders but the image file hangs. ?? It took me over an hours to get this far. Really depleted.
Out of interest what's on D drive it's saying Dvd but my usb also came up called live.can you show me what's on D

Members online

Latest posts