newest kid on the block

@hacodo75
Let me explain what happens when you press the 'prt sc' key.
It works just like copy and paste. The picture of the screenshot goes to the clipboard, and waits there until you paste it somewhere. Clear as mud, no?
OG
TC

RE: hacodo75

You've come to a great source for most anything concerning Linux/unix. The folks here (most anyways) are good folk and can give you some great advice/help. 70 Tango Charlie gave you some great advice...start with a distro running from a pendrive (live). In fact, try many til you get the one you like most/feel most comfortable with. Then when you decide on a distro of your choice, install to your HDD/SDD. One thing I'll say and this is my opinion and personal experience...don't try to dual run Linux and Win. When I first got into Linux, I did just that (dual O.S.)...caused a lot of problems until I deleted Win altogether from the HDD and had to use a pretty powerful "wipe" to do so. Just sayin'....welcome and good luck!!

@70 Tango Charlie Re screenshots. I've taken quite a few, should they be ALL on clipboard? If so I perhaps should try yo learn to copy some down to a file, just to learn the steps. Why do you mention that?? Is not everything on the desktop or are there too many??

TC I have done a little exercise with screenshots. I got the last two shots together on one file and will attach it to this message. One more step done. Hmph.

The first attachment did not work > the second one is this one, But it was covering the whole page and got it reduced finally by going on the settings wheel. Still puzzled . I can not get the screenshot on it select.

Good morning @Harald,
May we start over with your first post concerning a 'new HP laptop with Windows 10' and you would like to put Linux Mint or Ubuntu on it?
I do have some experience with Linux Mint. Unfortunately, Slackware is too advanced for me at this time. @captain-sensible
I bought an Asus laptop a couple months ago with Win 10 and installed LM on it immediately, erasing Win 10. I have not looked back since.
Old Geezer
TC

yes well that's find by me, but I have been all along the slow route. I have the partition ready on my drive, unformatted. However I have no experience with Linux installation, so need to be guided.
Come to speak of experience, mine goes back to MS/DOS prompt, dare I say it , 30 yrs ago. I have not been in tech since. So,, HELP please.
H

well i don't mind if you go for Mint; i'm trying to get you in a position to be able to do that.

I think its safer to get up a live on usb first . But looking at your desktop you have neither rufus.exe nor salixos on your Desktop. If you look at that sort of bent arrow, it means you have short cuts to files but not the files themselves. You have have to try to find them; mouse right click "copy " go to Desktop & "paste" we need the files themselves.

So i have a bit of a dry sense of humour i admit , but let me be serious for a minute. My worry is that if we can not guide you to successfully get a working live os on a usb stick, then there is a good chance of your hard drive being messed up, if you go for full install.
Can you appreciate the logic on where i'm coming from here ?

@Rick has allready mentioned he managed to delete his windows in the process of trying to install dual boot! @hacodo75 thats a nice uncluttered Desktop image. So the objective is to get the actual two files there please

yes well that's find by me, but I have been all along the slow route. I have the partition ready on my drive, unformatted. However I have no experience with Linux installation, so need to be guided.
Come to speak of experience, mine goes back to MS/DOS prompt, dare I say it , 30 yrs ago. I have not been in tech since. So,, HELP please.
H
Harald, please bear with me if I seem too elementary. I am going to start from scratch.

What I did, was to use a 16 gb flash drive {some call them thumb drives}.
I went to DistroWatch; located 'Mint' in the right hand column; clicked on that.

Then scroll down to this:

Next I clicked on the Linux Mint 19.3 and this is what showed up:

LM 19.3.png

Next step is to click on which distro you want to download. Mine was Mate-64bit.iso

Click on your choice and something like this will pop up:

Next.png

Click on "Save".

The 'iso' will be saved in your 'Downloads' folder.

End of part one. {Not sure how many parts are yet to come, so stay tuned!}

Old Geezer
TC

So these files should be on my flash drive? And the copies aren't really copies they are shortcuts?
Who should understand that. So now I stick the flash drive in and get these files and drop them on the Desktop. yes?

I think I've just learned why it it so difficult to get the screenshots on . its because they come from a different os, microsoft. ev erytime I attach it , it throws it out saying, "this file has an extension that is not allowed" No wonder I am getting this frustrated.
I have now got these two files on the desktop and I wanted to show you and ask is there anything on there that is surplus to requirement. But I cant get the screen shot attached or drop it on. What can I do??

I've learned something else, the screenshot I saved is in dropbox and has become a .doxc file not a .png.

@captain-sensible . Yes I follow that logic, however time is getting on. If I buy new computer and am forced to accept WIN 10 blindlym whats the difference if I install Linux Mint or Ubuntu without testing it first. I amnot against test running a system. But I like to get there too. I don't mind wiping MS off if it proofs too difficult getting Linux running properly. I could lput WIN on my other stick, will 32 gig be enough.??

hacodo75;

Running Linux from a stick first allows you to "experience" what your going to get. I suggested trying different distros to see what you prefer best. There are, as I'm sure you've seen, many different "flavors" of Linux. I prefer LinuxMint and have tried PuppyLinux, dabbled with Ubuntu and Manjaro. Here's a link that would benefit you-- Perhaps I should embellish my statement about dual O.S.'s on the same HDD. That was 11 yrs. ago when I first started out w/ linux. It may have been possible I didn't set up a proper partition to isolate the 2 O.S's. I installed Linux "thinking" it would set up it's own partitions. I know that today's linux O.S.'s do that. But, since I'm not a fan of Micros#*t, for me, I'd wipe Windows off the face of the HDD/SDD and the planet if it were in my power. So, do some 'research" select and try out different Linux's then decide what you want and do a (IMO) full install to your HDD/SDD. I believe you'll find Linux a 'breath of fresh air" compared to Micros#*t.

hey @70 Tango Charlie i think your user image should have you holding a lollypop with a caption "who loves ya baby" - do you remember Kojak ?

I am not far off you but if i was to wear a berret i would now look like the bloke from "some mothers do av em" which is why i display myself in military uniform circa age 12

if you could guide @hacodo75 to a begetting files in place and confirming that would be great

@captain-sensible
Ah yes, Old baldy, Kojak.
That was a good detective show. Telly Savalas was excellent in that show.
Perhaps they will bring it back again sometime.
OG TC :)
Have you noticed that all the emojis have bald heads? LOL.

@ rick Thanks for your deliberations. Very valuable, as all the other brothers are. It seems to me that a clearance of MSos is the preferred option. As I'm not keen on it , I can live without it. Can you suggest a program that will swipe it well? I have looked at Ubuntu 10 yrs ago but could not get it installed without corruption, so gave up. But it seems that Mint is going well and I like to play around, although I'm no longer a whizz kid. Far from it. These two champions helping me are great, its a;mzing what you can learn in a short time. Thanks for your input. H

@hacodo75
Harald,
One more question - do you have an old computer that you could experiment with? Any old computer would work.
OG TC

l@70 Charlie Tango @captain-sensible, Rather then shredding each other, show me the way to amarilo. yes I Have a laptop which will go to bed soon because its on win 7. What would you wantme to do??
On this one, should I prepare to drop MSos ?? I'm ready for it, seems a good idea, gets Bill Gates out of my hair.

I was a flight instructor for about 11 years. During that time I found out that the old saying is true - "When you teach someone, you come to realise that you are learning more about your subject than you are teaching your student!"
One other thing is - "You find out just how much you understand the subject."
Just and old Geezer venting his opinion. LOL.
TC

Members online