Nfs

D

Dr_Faust

Ok I am a student and im working on some lab work. I'm trying to install NFS on my system, and I am checking my portmap to see if its running and at what levels. I enter this command chkconfig -- list portmap and instead of a listing of what levels at which the daemon is running I got this:

[root@IT302labVM1 nosfarratu]# chkconfig -- list portmap
chkconfig version 1.3.49 - Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Red Hat, Inc.
This may be freely redistributed under the terms of the GNU Public License.

usage: chkconfig [--list] [--type <type>] [name]
chkconfig --add <name>
chkconfig --del <name>
chkconfig --override <name>
chkconfig [--level <levels>] [--type <type>] <name> <on|off|reset|resetpriorities>
[root@IT302labVM1 nosfarratu]#

I know that the portmap daemon obviously isnt running but besides that what else is this telling me? Does this mean there is something wrong with my linux or the VMplayer?

Thanks #Not trying to get answers to home work :)

You have entered the option incorrectly so chkconfig has given you it's help --list is a posix option - no space between -- and list.

To check if portmap is running
ps ax | grep portmap

You need to install nfs-command package as follows (open terminal and type the following command):
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install nfs-common

The first thing to do is did you install NFS packages properly, and what Linux distribution dd you use? If yes, how did you install it?
Then after installing it, if you were, try this command to check if nfs is running: ps ax | grep portmap
Then if its working, you can do this: chkconfig --list portmap

See if it works..

It has to be something wrong with the Linux prob try reinstalling the software again...

This could be handy for you for problems with NFS
nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ar01s02

Members online