nmap

KaliWali

Reaction score
Credits
Hey, guys I just want to scan my friend's Pc host but when I scan namp says 0 host up but his pc is on and connected to the internet I also use -Pn with the scan but nothing changed.
when I scan his network all hosts Nmap shows my network host, not his. My router IP range address starts from 192.168.100.0 and his router IP range starts from 192.168.100.2 my and his subnet mask, port, and ISP provider are the same. how can I scan his network or his pc from my Linux?

If you're in different locations and not on the same LAN, then you'd be scanning his public IP address. In modern times, that should prove relatively fruitless as they're unlikely to have any ports open because they're behind a NATed router.

Read this before you start scanning public ip addresses with nmap.

Back in the day, you used to find so many things open to the public 'net. You'd often find things like printers - including delightful HP printers that would still have the default admin passwords so you could load your own firmware on said printers that you found. A fairly common 'hack' was to make their LCD say, "insert 25¢ to Continue".

That might seem off-topic, but it's not really. See the link posted by @f33dm3bits and understand that some of these tools come with a stigma. Sure, you were scanning your friend's PC, but does your ISP know that you had their permission? It'd really suck to have your ISP cancel your service - especially if you live in the US where there's often only one service provider.

So, you can learn a lot, have some fun, and maybe cause a bit of mayhem - but the laws have caught up with it and it really is a good idea to be careful with these tools. I probably should have mentioned that in my post. Thanks for the catch, f33dm3.

Latest posts