No idea where to post, but please help.

RayBoi03

Reaction score
Credits
I want to build a kernel that works with the motherboard of a laptop so that i can use the hdmi output as an hdmi input. even if this means i have tpo go to the means to code my own version of linux, i will do my best to see what means i can go through, i know of some laptops that are 2k that do dual hdmi. but thinking linux is open source and you can code pretty much anything with knowledge. i want to be able to do this if its even close to possible. as easy as 1 2 and 3 with some work. sorry for the scrambled up question. any help is a big thanks.

I think you should study electrical engineering, not programming, to pursue this goal. Software cannot usually rewire hardware on existing electrical or electronic circuitry unless that is part of its engineering design. I don't doubt that a new style of HDMI port "could be" developed... but it has not been done so far, maybe partly due to design specifications and standards governing the plugs and cables currently being used. It may also be partly due to lack of demand. The easy way is just to buy one of the dual HDMI laptops that you are already aware of. Good luck!

PS. Your title should always reflect your question or problem. Something like, "How to change HDMI from output to input?" would gather more attention. With that title, I would guess that Linux Audio / Video would have been a good sub-forum choice.

Last edited:
I think you should study electrical engineering, not programming, to pursue this goal. Software cannot usually rewire hardware on existing electrical or electronic circuitry unless that is part of its engineering design. I don't doubt that a new style of HDMI port "could be" developed... but it has not been done so far, maybe partly due to design specifications and standards governing the plugs and cables currently being used. It may also be partly due to lack of demand. The easy way is just to buy one of the dual HDMI laptops that you are already aware of. Good luck!

PS. Your title should always reflect your question or problem. Something like, "How to change HDMI from output to input?" would gather more attention. With that title, I would guess that Linux Audio / Video would have been a good sub-forum choice.

Alright thanks, i just needed some info bc i didnt know if it was possible or not. HDCP is an issue with in and output ports, but all cords go both ways. nether the less, thanks for the input. :)

Members online