No Wifi !! found with Linux on Win10 intel PC

ken doka

Reaction score
Credits
Hi I am a happy user of Linux Raspian Unbutu Debian on my RPI P4 v2 ram 4 meg. i was hoping to move over from win10 on my rebuilt Dell t3610 PC. I am a PC newbie in installing Linux to achieve working Wifi operating.

Gamer PC Spec Dell T3610 Tower Xeon E5 8 core, 24 mg Ram 1Tb seagate hdd crucial 250 ssd, Nvidia GTX 1070, Usb Bros Trend AC1200 wifi dongle and Reatec 802.11 all working superbly on win 10 PC

I am looking for any help. I've tried Linux unbutu 16.4 18.04 LTE and 20.04 and also Linux-Mint Zerin on a my Dell Tower 790 i7 and a Dell Gamer T3610 Xeon. But the wifi does not work with Linux distro on either machine, as per many many questions posted "No Wifi found on Linux sites..
I was looking to move from Win 10 on which wifi works fine or create a dual boot system.
On all my Rpi p4 the wifi is on board so any command say sudo apt update instantly works however in Intel Dell it's only fail failed, reported.
I hope this is pretty clear that any commands suggested kingly as help to upgrade, or 'get' visit sites Https WWW just Fails!!.
There is No wifi connection.
A network search shows only ethernet Wired available.
it would be VERY strange to use a Rpi P4 to link to the WWW by cable to my Linux PC

A solution I've tried which works round the missing Wifi problem is to run Linux inside of Win10 under WSL. Go to Microsoft Store type Linux I chose from distros Free Unbutu and downloaded. No gui only the command terminal but that's all I really wanted.
No dual boot, no lost files to move about and as to speed it is just me typing slow commands like sudo apt update and upgrade. All then done fast in seconds. Days wasted trying to address Linux missing wifi from multiple help request posts all over the web.
Nice result it's fixed!!.

You could have either bought a compatible wifi adapter or looked into the Additional Drivers program on Ubuntu and see if there wasn't a proprietary or unofficial open source driver available for your card. Additionally you could have ran the command: lscpi | grep -i wireless into the terminal and see if there was an official driver available on later kernel version or if there was an unofficial one listed.

Or you know, just used an ethernet connection.

The single most difficult issue in Linux is wifi drivers. Very few wifi chip makers actually provide Linux drivers, and only some provide any material assistance to Linux developers. It's all about the Benjamins; chip makers don't make money by supporting Linux. But some good will comes out the back door.

Wifi drivers do happen for Linux. They are the result of hard work by individuals and small groups.

If the OP thinks that running Linux as a Windows object is a good thing, then so be it. If the OP wants to understand how to make Linux work natively, outside of Windows, in an existence in which Windows is not necessary, then the conversation can continue.

The single most difficult issue in Linux is wifi drivers. Very few wifi chip makers actually provide Linux drivers, and only some provide any material assistance to Linux developers. It's all about the Benjamins; chip makers don't make money by supporting Linux. But some good will comes out the back door.

Wifi drivers do happen for Linux. They are the result of hard work by individuals and small groups.

If the OP thinks that running Linux as a Windows object is a good thing, then so be it. If the OP wants to understand how to make Linux work natively, outside of Windows, in an existence in which Windows is not necessary, then the conversation can continue.
I was listing to him alternatives that he could have done to solve his issue rather than going to WSL. I would rather of him know of it rather than letting him think that there was nothing else he could have done. Most popular chip makers such as Realtek, Intel and to a lesser extent Broadcom do make wifi drivers for Linux for the majority of their cards. Is it perfect, no. Do all the cards by these coporations work on Linux, no. Some cards will never have official or open source drivers available from the get-go. It's not the chip makers but rather the drivers that are being developed for them.

This was more off-topic and a small rant on manufacturers who doesn't support Linux for their wireless cards: Considering they only develop a driver for one operating system such as Windows, I find they are more often than not , that it is done out of laziness as opposed to greed. Supporting a driver officially on Linux, would result in it being available (especially if it is open source), more likely than not, on other operating systems such as BSDs,
and Illumos based distros.

I hear ya, Jared! It's hard, but when an OS like Ubuntu provides tools that help a lost new user like ken doka at least be able to look for solutions, you'd think there would be some curiosity about how Linux might provide/find a solution. But, no, the new user has to run back to Windows and find some half baked "solution" that is guaranteed to keep the new user forever bound and velcro'd to MS - running Linux as if were some sort of app.

It's frustrating. The path to the solution is found many times on this forum, Ubuntu forums, and all the other specialized forums in the internetverse. Google finds answers in seconds to the simplest problems.

Thanks for the advice and giving your thoughts. I spent 18 hours over 4 days trailing posts here and github and elsewhere on Wifi issues. Tried seven distros that might give Wifi connection. Tried highly recommended Linux friendly "Bros Trend AC1200" to do the business. As previously said it works fine on Win10 but not recognised in unbutu terminal so that commands lspci and lsusb shows not recognised. A further quirk was CD-rom failed and as there was a dedicated Linux disk I could not read it in unbutu or use a cut and paste basis about 40+ files were displayed but no idea what specific file might correct things.
I can't be bothered with cables fix as I've dumped Serial and Parallel cables to Win3 as dated 1990.
I'm puzzled as there is a PC Fix ~Upgrade stick USB using linux to upgrades ALL old PCs so a wifi is there.

Seeing your run Ubuntu it might be worth a shot installing the Mainline kernel. You could try kernel 5.8
Download these packages put them on a usb drive:
  • linux-headers_all
  • linux-headers-generic
  • linux-image-unsigned-generic
  • linux-modules-generic
Put usb stick in the system you have no wifi and install the packages by using the terminal. Go to the mounted location of your usb drive in the terminal.
Install: sudo dpkg -i linux-*.deb
Update Grub: sudo update-grub
Reboot your system(If your system fails to boot in the new kernel you can reboot system and select to boot into one of the other installed kernels and remove the previously installed packages)
Check if you wireless card is no detected: lspci -nn | grep -i net

Thank you both again. I parked this problem for 48 hrs. Tried Linuxmint (in compatibility mode) on an old Dell Insperon laptop and wifi found and worked. So two operate RPI P4 and laptop now have Wifi access
Tried Linux Mint on my high spec PC Xeon and it failed again.
I observed that under a Win10 boot and Win10 WSL Unbutu boot the wifi dongle the LEDS light up.
Installing unbuntu vanilla distro and Linux Mint there are no LEDS lighted up as OS boots.
OK I have the .deb for the Bros Trend AC1200
AC1L is fully Linux unbuntu compatible.
First added *.deb it to USB installing OS however all Linux distros block access to the USB used for Linux OS boot (and also to the Win boot parltition).
Next installed the
requred .deb as a dll under and into every available drive under Win10. As root is Not available to access needed a location "Drive" to be found under Unbutu or Mint.
In looking for.incude/autoconf file in not found in any drive but may be inside the blocked USB with Linux distro.
It is complicated time consuming repeatery resetting BIOS Under F2 to explore permutations.
Trying this Wifi Fix without an Ether net Cable was a trial not to be considered ever. Though I may be a little closer if I can find incude or autoconf file or folder.

Members online

Latest posts