NOOB I want to run WinXP only in VIRTUALBOX

KLTM

Reaction score
Credits
Hi I want to install Linux and use it to only run Windows XP in Virtualbox. It would be nice to be able to boot straight into Virtualbox if possible, and shut down from there. Is this possible? This PC would only have access to a DVD, USB and a printer. There is no requirement for internet access. What Linux OS should I use?

You could start the VM automatically but you can't really shut the whole system down from a VM - that kinda defeats the point of a VM to begin with. But, shutting the host OS down isn't a difficult task.

I'd suggest a mainstream distro that's easy to maintain and easy to install. A VM, such as with VirtualBox, will run just fine.

Um.....y'know, this doesn't make much sense to me.

If it will be permanently off-line, and just connect to DVD, USB and printer, then why do you need to run it from a Linux VM? You've made it quite clear you're NOT interested in Linux itself, so why complicate the matter by involving Linux at all?

Just install XP on an older machine and keep it away from t'internet. Without any connection to the web, it's as safe as it's ever going to be.....

Or maybe I can't see the wood for the trees.

Mike. o_O

Um.....y'know, this doesn't make much sense to me.

If it will be permanently off-line, and just connect to DVD, USB and printer, then why do you need to run it from a Linux VM? You've made it quite clear you're NOT interested in Linux itself, so why complicate the matter by involving Linux at all?

Just install XP on an older machine and keep it away from t'internet. Without any connection to the web, it's as safe as it's ever going to be.....

Or maybe I can't see the wood for the trees.

Mike. o_O
I had the same question - why must Windows XP run in a virtual machine under Linux?

Speculating wildly, the only explanations I could think of were:
  • Windows XP cannot run on the actual hardware, but it can run in a virtual machine.
  • Provide network isolation for the Windows XP virtual machine - nobody can access it, but it can still get patched to the latest version (before support was dropped).
    • I admit, it is unlikely, but possible.
Okay @KLTM:
-> Why must it run in a virtual machine and not the real hardware?

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

Have you used Linux before...if not you will need to learn that first before you can install Virtualbox and XP.

I have w7 as a VM but it's not connected to the net and is only used for some software.
m0103.gif

I had the same question - why must Windows XP run in a virtual machine under Linux?

Speculating wildly, the only explanations I could think of were:
  • Windows XP cannot run on the actual hardware, but it can run in a virtual machine.
  • Provide network isolation for the Windows XP virtual machine - nobody can access it, but it can still get patched to the latest version (before support was dropped).
    • I admit, it is unlikely, but possible.
Okay @KLTM:
-> Why must it run in a virtual machine and not the real hardware?
The reason is the hardware I have, for some reason, won’t let me install Windows XP. I’ve installed Linux on the same machine without a problem.

MX Package Installer can help you to install and use VirtualBox with minimum of sweat.

You could more easily install Virtualbox on Windows 10 and run Windows XP there. I have a 32 bit XP vm and a 64 bit XP vm on my Windows 10 with desktop shortcuts that start them. But if it must be on top of Linux, it could be pretty much any Ubuntu based/Debian based/Red Hat based distribution, best if you choose a really light one, even without desktop since you won't be using it. Hard to name a specific one for such a generic purpose. I'm using Linux Mint Cinnamon on this laptop and I have a Windows 7 vm on it I rarely use but is occasionally useful. But Mint Cinnamon isn't lightweight. Another relevant question is, what do you intend to use XP for?

You could more easily install Virtualbox on Windows 10 and run Windows XP there. I have a 32 bit XP vm and a 64 bit XP vm on my Windows 10 with desktop shortcuts that start them. But if it must be on top of Linux, it could be pretty much any Ubuntu based/Debian based/Red Hat based distribution, best if you choose a really light one, even without desktop since you won't be using it. Hard to name a specific one for such a generic purpose.
I use MAC computers, because I hate all the iterations of Windoze since XP. I get so annoyed with BSOD and updates just taking things over. I have loads of software from my old XP days that I still like to use. I have installed some of them on VirtualBox on the MAC, but since the support for XP disappeared I am a little wary of viruses and malware. If I lock XP down on a PC then its problem solved. Oddly enough my XP disc loads fine onto VB on the MAC, but won’t load as a stand-alone on my Windows PC. That’s why I have to run it inside Linux on that machine.

I have loads of software from my old XP days that I still like to use.
I have a few 32 bit w98/xp which I like to play with occasionally, most run in 32 bit enabled Wine without issue.

I use MAC computers, because I hate all the iterations of Windoze since XP. I get so annoyed with BSOD and updates just taking things over. I have loads of software from my old XP days that I still like to use. I have installed some of them on VirtualBox on the MAC, but since the support for XP disappeared I am a little wary of viruses and malware. If I lock XP down on a PC then its problem solved. Oddly enough my XP disc loads fine onto VB on the MAC, but won’t load as a stand-alone on my Windows PC. That’s why I have to run it inside Linux on that machine.
Virtualbox is a sandbox. Malware is not supposed to get in, or out, generally. Mac is also supposed to be somewhat close to invulnerable in itself. The only way Malware could ever have a chance to enter your XP vm is if it's connected to the network, and it shouldn't be, since it's so internet obsolete these days no page will even load. There's nothing you can do with XP on the network except maybe LAN type things. So disconnect the XP vm from the network in Virtualbox settings and keep using it on your Mac, and you're all set.

I have Intel Macs and run virtual machines on them using VMware Fusion. At one time, I configured a firewall/router to run in a VMware virtual machine on a Mac mini. It was configured this way:
  • If power fails, the Mac was configured to automatically startup and boot.
  • At boot time, the Mac would automatically login to an unprivileged account on the Mac.
  • The unprivileged account had VMware Fusion set to launch as one of its "Startup Items"
  • The firewall/router virtual machine was configured so that it would automatically start up whenever VMware Fusion was launched.
    • The firewall/router had its own bridged IP address on the LAN. That virtual machine IP address was the "gateway" for all the devices on the house network LAN.
    • The firewall/router had a second USB to Ethernet network interface for the WAN (the public IP address from the ISP).
It worked very reliably and well for a couple years at least. At some point, Apple seems to have changed something in the macOS boot process, where the virtual machine would try to attach to the USB/Ethernet adapter, but the macOS drivers were not yet ready or the device was not yet recognized by the Mac, still booting. The easy, quick fix was to unplug and reconnect the USB/Ethernet adapter after booting the Mac. The virtual machine firewall/router would detect it and connect to the internet and the firewall would work. It was something that I could teach my partner to do if I was away on travel, but I did not like that it had become necessary.

I sent you a PM with a link to the configuration details, but your problem is somewhat different. There were also security issues with my approach, and now I run that same firewall in its own hardware appliance.

I think it can be made to work the way you want, but I do not have experience with VirtualBox, only VMware Fusion. In web searches found some links that talk about how to launch VirtualBox as a service, and I like that idea much better than using automatic login to an account the way I did. In addition, I found this link, which may yield another clue:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...hostwhen-virtualbox-guest-windows-is-shutdown

Sorry that I do not have a cookbook solution, but I hope this post takes you further toward your goal.

I have Intel Macs and run virtual machines on them using VMware Fusion. At one time, I configured a firewall/router to run in a VMware virtual machine on a Mac mini. It was configured this way:
  • If power fails, the Mac was configured to automatically startup and boot.
  • At boot time, the Mac would automatically login to an unprivileged account on the Mac.
  • The unprivileged account had VMware Fusion set to launch as one of its "Startup Items"
  • The firewall/router virtual machine was configured so that it would automatically start up whenever VMware Fusion was launched.
    • The firewall/router had its own bridged IP address on the LAN. That virtual machine IP address was the "gateway" for all the devices on the house network LAN.
    • The firewall/router had a second USB to Ethernet network interface for the WAN (the public IP address from the ISP).
It worked very reliably and well for a couple years at least. At some point, Apple seems to have changed something in the macOS boot process, where the virtual machine would try to attach to the USB/Ethernet adapter, but the macOS drivers were not yet ready or the device was not yet recognized by the Mac, still booting. The easy, quick fix was to unplug and reconnect the USB/Ethernet adapter after booting the Mac. The virtual machine firewall/router would detect it and connect to the internet and the firewall would work. It was something that I could teach my partner to do if I was away on travel, but I did not like that it had become necessary.

I sent you a PM with a link to the configuration details, but your problem is somewhat different. There were also security issues with my approach, and now I run that same firewall in its own hardware appliance.

I think it can be made to work the way you want, but I do not have experience with VirtualBox, only VMware Fusion. In web searches found some links that talk about how to launch VirtualBox as a service, and I like that idea much better than using automatic login to an account the way I did. In addition, I found this link, which may yield another clue:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...hostwhen-virtualbox-guest-windows-is-shutdown

Sorry that I do not have a cookbook solution, but I hope this post takes you further toward your goal.
Interesting thank you

Goodwill has E stores, or Ebay. You can get the hardware, I have 4 Motherboards Brand new that I never used and DDR3 the Intel or AMD CPU's the old IDE drives, Just put it all onto a test bench rig and plug it into a Monitor. New Old Stock as it is, I have 95, 98, and XP that I can use if I chose to. Run all the stuff you want to you heart's content.

If you want to use Linux for the sole purpose of Running another OS via VM, then you need something with as low overhead as possible. Considering that you are newcommer, go familiarize yourself with how much system resources does each beginner distribution need, and you just pick the one least demanding one.

It also possible to completely automate the process of running another OS via VM, but for the damnest of me, I can't remember where that guide is...

I can't remember where that guide is...
It sounds like me.:(
it sounds like all of us.

To make matters worse, you KNOW it is somewhere on the internet, but the quality of search engine results has declined. These days, all you can find are bot-generated web pages that magically have your search text, but provide no useful information. The website got an ad impression from you, which is all they really wanted.

All the while, the web page with the answer sits on a lonely server someone on the internet, hoping to be found ... but the link to it is on page 27 of the search results. :-(

it sounds like all of us.

To make matters worse, you KNOW it is somewhere on the internet, but the quality of search engine results has declined. These days, all you can find are bot-generated web pages that magically have your search text, but provide no useful information. The website got an ad impression from you, which is all they really wanted.

All the while, the web page with the answer sits on a lonely server someone on the internet, hoping to be found ... but the link to it is on page 27 of the search results. :-(
No its me growing senile in my mid 30's. I'm practically gone... nuts... whacked... gone koo koo for cocoa puffs... deep fried with a side of olives! :D

First, please, how did You solve it now ?
Hi I want to install Linux and use it to only run Windows XP in Virtualbox. It would be nice to be able to boot straight into Virtualbox if possible, and shut down from there. Is this possible? This PC would only have access to a DVD, USB and a printer. There is no requirement for internet access. What Linux OS should I use?
for some reason, won’t let me install Windows XP
Do You like to tell the reasons, the messages ?

(As AntiVir still does work Avast - an 18.xx version - with def-list updates. But with setting: check only at writing - not and reading files, ´probably´ slowing all too very much.
And the browser MyPal https://www.mypal-browser.org/, if from interesst.)

(I hope, it´s OK, asking and telling this.)

Do You like to tell the reasons, the messages
I was not involved on this one, but my best guess was the OP was trying to install 32 bit XP on to 64 bit Linux, without adding the 32 bit codecs to his linux first

Members online