Noob. Planning a Linux install on a Sagar NP8760. Too old?

well i admit 14.2 is a bit stale but i think release 15 could be quite competitive.

This machine came with Vista, upgraded to both Window 7 and Windows 10 easily. (I clean installed both eventually with no problems) It was my 3D modeling work machine for years. (AutoCAD, Rhino, etc) I was hoping to make it a Linux creation machine with Blender, Inkscape, FreeCad, etc. Unfortunately, Mint and Ubuntu will not install. Linux it seems, is more problematic than I was led to believe. As a last try before I abandon this, does anyone think creating a DVD install disk might work better? The machine does have a working DVD drive. Should I try an older version on Ubuntu? (Not 18.04)

I did some reading about this the other day. Found a few interesting forum posts. Which leads me to wonder if a BIOS update may be in order. Have you ever updated the BIOS on that machine?

Also, I remember something from years ago which may be similar to the problem you are having - and the recommendation was to disable AHCI or ACPI during boot by setting the boot flags. Don't know if that is still a "thing" but given the age of that machine it may be worth looking into.