Noob question about Installing Linux

Platos5

Reaction score
Credits
When you choose to completely format the disk to install only Linux, does the installation delete also the drivers of the hardware? Recently I installed Linux Mint in an HP and after the installation it says that the battery is not HP anymore.

Yes, it uses its own drivers just like Windows uses its own drivers. Linux drivers don't always have OEM support, so there may be some features that don't work and it may be listed as some generic device. When you completely format and erase the disk, everything on it is lost.

Recently I installed Linux Mint in an HP and after the installation it says that the battery is not HP anymore.
The tool that is reporting that may be inspecting the actual manufacturer of the battery. For example, in my laptop (a Lenovo ThinkPad), the battery is not reported as Lenovo's, but as SMP as they are its actual manufacturer:

Bash:
$ sudo tlp-stat -b
#...
+++ ThinkPad Battery Status: BAT0 (Main / Internal) 
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/manufacturer                   = SMP 
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/model_name                     = 5B10W13910 
#...

Just a heads up on the above that if you wish to use TLP you will need to install it

Code:
sudo apt install tlp tlp-rdw

before you can use it. :)

@Platos5 G'day and welcome to linux.org :)

HP, both the computers, and the printers, is one of the best supported brands in Linux.

So if you experience any problems, just ask here and someone can likely help.

Enjoy your Linux journey and Avagudweegend.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hello Plato5,
Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux and the Forum. Enjoy the Journey! :)
As others have said the program reading the battery is reading the actual maker and not the brand name. And usually is no cause for worry.

Latest posts