Noobie first post =) Looking for direction.

Hello everyone and welcome to my virgin post. I'm new to linux and to this forum, so please be nice to me.

I was being a Windows user for over 10 years. And just to give you an idea how good I'm with computer. I spent the last 24 hours to figure out how to download and install Debian 7.3.0 on my laptop. The progress pretty much stalled from there. I'm trying to learn the basics at the moment like how to extract archive, how to install application, etc. like a toddler learns to walk. And I will appriciate your help. =)

I notice that there are many online tutorials on Linux. But wouldn't the operation be different from distro to distro? Could you guys suggest some well-written and up-to-date tutorials for Debian user? I tried Debian wiki, but I can't find it useful. For now, I will wander off to tutorial section.

Kuma

I'm new to linux and to this forum, so please be nice to me.
That's asking a lot from us grouches.:D

But wouldn't the operation be different from distro to distro?
That depends on which distros are compared. The same general procedure is used by systems that use the same package manager. So installing and removing packages is generally the same. The procedures can be quite different if other distros are compared.

I'm trying to learn the basics at the moment like how to extract archive, how to install application, etc. like a toddler learns to walk.
The best places to read about the basics are the wiki and the Reference Book (http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/). Which brings us to this:
I tried Debian wiki, but I can't find it useful.
Which parts are giving you trouble? We might be able to guide you through.
I suggest beginning with the wiki section for Package Management. The first thing that would be helpful to learn is how to manage the list of package sources, install security updates and install/remove applications. Understanding that aspect will make everything else easier.

Learn to love apt-get.:)

You guys are amazing. Thank you so much for the suggestions! I will take a good look at each of them.

I installed Debian wheezy+Gnome GUI. At this stage, I try to use command line as much as possible, just to be familiar with it.

apt-get is brilliant. Thanks Berserker. I managed to remove iceweasel, hooray! Though I'm still working on getting it back.:confused: The problem for me was that I didn't know where to start from. So I really appreciate your helps. On top of that, the command and argument look like allien language to me. Luckily I found myself two besties; whatis and --help.

I should do some self-studies before getting on your nerves. :p

Love you,
Kuma

Two more commands you might really like to become good friends with are "apropos" and "man".

apropos will help you find the command you need to do something. Just use apropos followed by a keyword and it will bring back list of things related to that word.

man is for pulling up manuals. So once you found the command you need and you want to know how to use it, just type man followed by a command. It will then give you the manual for that command.

Members online

Latest posts