Now I REALLY appreciate how quiet my PC's power supply was

K

KenJackson

I came home from the weekend and found my PC was powered down. Strange. I always leave it running.

A push of the button got no response. I investigated a little and decided it might be the power supply, and that's the easiest to replace, so I ran down to the local computer shop and bought a replacement. That was it! I'm up and running again.

But oh the noise! I suppose it's not really that bad. Music would drown it out. But I hate it.

The power supply that died was a Nexus Value430, which I bought specifically because I want silence in my little home office. And, indeed, I now apprecieate how very quiet it was more than ever.

But it failed in less than 3 years, so I've just ordered an FSP AU-400 to replace it. I hope it's as quiet.

Sorry to hear that. I hope it's quiet for your sake. :) My computer is an all-in-one and it's not really all that quiet. It's not horribly loud but it's definitely far from silent.

I think that Value430 was just a whisper quieter, but the FSP is still good and it's much much more quiet than that off-the-shelf unit. So, AH! I once again have a peaceful office.

I think that Value430 was just a whisper quieter, but the FSP is still good and it's much much more quiet than that off-the-shelf unit. So, AH! I once again have a peaceful office.

Hi KenJackson, I have just read that there are "Accoustic Insulation" devices available we can use to help lessen the noise coming off from your computer. This article shows how to make your computer sound proof. Hope that helps you out in the future.

Members online