NTFS file problem in BTRFS drive.

Human

Reaction score
Credits
Formatted my drive btrfs some times ago. Added some files from my Windows machine. Now I can't modify the folders or contents in my linux machine. Tried
Code:
ntfsfix
. Results into
Code:
Mounting volume... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
NTFS signature is missing.
Trying the alternate boot sector
Unrecoverable error
Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk.

how do I fix them? (There are a lot of files like this in different directories. A command for all subfolders or complete drive would be appreciated.)

You need to boot to windows and chech and repair the ntfs partition there.

You need to boot to windows and chech and repair the ntfs partition there.
A doubt,
My whole disk is partitioned in btrfs. I transfered some files which were in NTFS.

Will repairing through windows be of any help?

And why then you run ntfsfix? This utility is for ntfs filesystems. Because of this I supposed that you have an ntfs partition. So you have no access to those files that you copied from the ntfs partition. Did you try as root?

And why then you run ntfsfix? This utility is for ntfs filesystems. Because of this I supposed that you have an ntfs partition. So you have no access to those files that you copied from the ntfs partition. Did you try as root?
I'm sort new in this area, so tried nfsfix as I've seen in some forums. :)

TL/DR:
* Some unmodifiable (can't move, delete, write a new file into) files in a btrfs file system, which were copied from a windows machine.
*GUI file manager shows permission not granted of those folders.
*didn't do anything as root or didn't try
Code:
chmod
as I don't have lot of knowledge and doing sth stupid can potentially mess up the files.

Where is the location of those files. Are in your home folder?
Try to take ownership of the directory(and subdirectories) with those file with chown:
Code:
chown -R USER:GROUP FOLDER
for e.g if your username is parrot, the folder name is winfolder and it's in /home/parrot directory:
Code:
sudo chown -R parrot:parrot /home/parrot/winfolder

Last edited:

Members online