Nvidia 1030 chip, a Simple 4k graphics card for ubuntu?

TMR

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, about 1,5year ago i build a new smal PC for my father. We kept the old FHD screen sins it was suffient, but yeasterday his fancy glass table where his computer screen was standing on, suddenly exploded. And now it looks like there is some need of a new computer screen. .

His use i very simple, but I think the way forward is a 4k screen since his hardware tend til last for many years.
The current setup only supports 4k in 30hz, and I dont think that is good enough. need 60hz

The setup needs to be as cheap, simple and basic as possible with no proprietery drivers needed.
He just do surfing, emails and sort pictures in folders from his camera, no editing to speak of.

He uses Ubuntu 17.10 (soon 18.04)
From what i have found, the Nvidia 1030 chip will deliver the goods on paper, but would it be plug and play in ubuntu?

Hi @TMR, and welcome to the site!

The setup needs to be as cheap, simple and basic as possible with no proprietery drivers needed.
Nvidia is often not the most friendly graphics with Linux. If by "1030 chip" you mean GeForce GT 1030, then this link indicates you will not be successful without using Nvidia's proprietary driver.

Cheers

Hi @TMR, and welcome to the site!

Nvidia is often not the most friendly graphics with Linux. If by "1030 chip" you mean GeForce GT 1030, then this link indicates you will not be successful without using Nvidia's proprietary driver.

Cheers

Thank you for your input. I will look in to the AMD RX550 based cards insted.

I will look in to the AMD RX550 based cards insted.

The website with the review above, Phoronix, does an enormous amount of graphic card testing and benchmarking. Here is the review of the AMD RX550.... there's 8 pages, and worth reading, especially the conclusion on the last page. The AMD review compares against a number of other video cards... with Nvidia GTX 1050 being close in price, but superior in performance. I'm not a high-end video person myself, but I think I would consider their recommendation on this... but it would mean that you would have to use the Nvidia proprietary driver. Whatever you choose, good luck!

Cheers

The website with the review above, Phoronix, does an enormous amount of graphic card testing and benchmarking. Here is the review of the AMD RX550.... there's 8 pages, and worth reading, especially the conclusion on the last page. The AMD review compares against a number of other video cards... with Nvidia GTX 1050 being close in price, but superior in performance. I'm not a high-end video person myself, but I think I would consider their recommendation on this... but it would mean that you would have to use the Nvidia proprietary driver. Whatever you choose, good luck!

Cheers

Well, this took a long time to land, but here is the final result.
I ended up getting him an Asus 28" 4k screen. To get the computer to handle the resolution i took a chance on the 1030 chip for Nvidia. I did this because it droped some in price and time have semed to improve the posibility of a good result.
And the end result was good. The computer resisted at first, but it booted, and I installed the drivers via the menus. The last thing I had to do, was to switch cable from HDMI to DP and there it was. 4k resolution at 60hz working fine.
I did notice a small increase of CPU usage, but for ordinary web surfing, email and simple fotoediting it worked fine.
He is now currently running ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

That's great news, @TMR - glad you solved it, great that it works, and thanks for sharing :)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online