Nvidia Drivers for Mint

I

iClopTooMuch

Alright, so here's the situation:
I have installed (and reinstalled many times) Linux Mint 16 (I think that's the correct one, it's the newest version). I have also tried this with Ubuntu. Whenever I start up the computer, I have to run nomodeset=1 in the boot commands in order to see anything. This is because of drivers (or rather, lack of) for my graphics card, which is an Nvidia GeForce GT 755M. When I try to install the drivers necessary to make it so I do not have to boot into nomodeset, they don't work. When I go back to nomodeset, the desktop is now completely screwed and is permanently in fallback mode. On Ubuntu, there simply are not any icons, and all I see is a wallpaper.
I'm really anxious to try Linux but I'm about to throw the computer against the wall because I can't figure this out.
tl;dr i cant install nvidia drivers without screwing over the OS

I'm trying to remember how MINT might be handled by X Window. Can you check to see if there is a file called /etc/X11/xorg.conf while in the Fallback mode? You might be able to edit the display driver to the generic "vesa".

If this works right, it will not get you fully running on Nvidia, but hopefully undo the borked desktop and have you running on the generic driver.

It's also possible you're fighting against a generic Nvidia driver called Nouveau.

Might be worth trying directions like this if you can start over. Good luck. Also, I'm a CrunchBang user. Hopefully, some MINT Nvidia users can chime in, but I remember a similar problem from when I tried MINT on old hardware.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1277

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

Next step remove nouveau

apt remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau libdrm-nouveau1

Boot with nomodeset and do the following
Code:
# echo blacklist nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-blacklist.conf
Reboot and you should not need to specify nomodeset.

Then install the nvidia proprietary driver.

Members online

Latest posts