Nvidia Question

Jeffrey Lapinski

Reaction score
Credits
I am running a fresh install of Manjaro 18 KDE and I am trying to figure out exactly which Nvidia driver I am using (if any). I ran the following:
Code:
[jlap4@jlap4-MJRO-KDE ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] driver: N/A
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: intel resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.4
[jlap4@jlap4-MJRO-KDE ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] driver: N/A
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: intel resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.4
[jlap4@jlap4-MJRO-KDE ~]$
As I am reading this, I have no Nvidia drivers installed.

Lonely, Jeff? :) Here's company :D

You read right, is there a question in there? (Drum roll) :rolleyes:

While I was bottling beer this arvo, I jumped onto the Toshiba Satellite lappie (my slowly dying No. 2, #2) and ssh'ed this over to the Dell on 3 MJRO on the lappie (not updated to 18.0.0 yet), see the Spoiler

GNOME ON TOSHIBA

[chris@MJRO17dot1dot12 ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915
v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA GK208M [GeForce GT 740M] driver: N/A
Display: x11 server: N/A driver: N/A resolution: <xdpyinfo missing>

OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile v: 4.5 Mesa 18.1.8

CINNAMON ON TOSHIBA

[chris@MJRO17dot11-Cinn-Toshiba ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915
Device-2: NVIDIA GK208M [GeForce GT 740M] driver: nouveau v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: intel,nouveau

unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1600x900~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.4

DEEPIN ON TOSHIBA

[MJRO-Deepin-Toshiba chris]# inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics
driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA GK208M [GeForce GT 740M] driver: nouveau
Display: server: X.Org 1.20.1 driver: intel,nouveau

unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1600x900~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.4

... my highlighting, with the point being the different DEs provide slightly different output, some more than others.

But it appears that Manjaro detects the Nvidia correctly, but just uses the Nouveau as a default.

Does that answer the question you have not asked? Lol.

Wizard out for the night ;)

Ok, ok... I "thought" I asked a question!! It's odd because it appears (from the manjaro settings manager) that the proprietary drivers are installed! I need to poke around a bit. I am running 2 distros, both manajro. KDE and XFCE. The driver issue is occurring in KDE only and only when using the other bane of my existence, Citrix!!

Ok, here is the question (I think)... I have run in to a few issues with the current set up (Nvidia set up that is). I have tried to use the Nvidia GUI that is installed and it doesn't open. I went to the settings manager and tried to "auto download" the proprietary drivers and nothing changes... Do you have a link for where I can find the best way to install the Nvidia driver?

Mate I haven't got a Manjaro KDE on board at the moment and I am on the Dell (with AMD Radeon), but I get this from Xfce Settings Manager

27HfgzH.png

Can you send us back yours?

Gotta go for the evening but will try to look in tomorrow

Wiz

OK that's good stuff. Note the differences and similarities between yours and mine that are not just Nvidia/AMD diffs.

If your Manjaro is up-to-date you are now on 18.0.0 , if not, make it happen.

If you already have Timeshift on, delete any previous snapshot and run a full, on-demand snapshot, with Settings - Users set to include all on both counts.

I'll run a check on the Cinnamon, Deepin and Gnome Manjaros on the (nVidia) Toshiba Satellite and get back here some time today.

If you don't have Timeshift installed, there is no need to use yay or yaourt nowadays, just

Code:
sudo pacman -S timeshift

will do the trick.

Wizard

Time shift is installed. I will run a backup this evening. And yes, I’m running Manjaro 18 on all my laptops using Manjaro.

Staff online