NVIDIA Releases Open-Source GPU Kernel Modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :)
I just bumped into this while checking my feed: https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/nvidia-releases-open-source-gpu-kernel-modules/
An excerpt:
In this open-source release, support for GeForce and Workstation GPUs is alpha quality. GeForce and Workstation users can use this driver on Turing and NVIDIA Ampere architecture GPUs to run Linux desktops and use features such as multiple displays, G-SYNC, and NVIDIA RTX ray tracing in Vulkan and NVIDIA OptiX. Users can opt in using the kernel module parameter NVreg_EnableUnsupportedGpus as highlighted in the documentation. More robust and fully featured GeForce and Workstation support will follow in subsequent releases and the NVIDIA Open Kernel Modules will eventually supplant the closed-source driver.

IMHO, this is great news, as Nvidia had always been a PITA to deal with on Linux, but this could be a turning point for the better. :)

For some reason, it's not letting me merge the two threads. I dunno why. So, this one has been locked in favor of the older thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.