nvme hates me . debian only distro that i can install

tractor678

Reaction score
Credits
i fried my old nvme. bought a new one on amazonplugged it in nothing ... reada little update it with the intel iso . sweet it shows up on my computer now. keep getting i/o error on every distro i try to install.finaly give up install a hdd and boot from that still cant get nvme to work. finaly try base debbian and i can install on that .hell yah .....it only runs in 800x600. can anyone offer some advice i woulde like to get ethier arco linux running on it.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4e24
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 4e61 (rev 01)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 4e03
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 4ded (rev 01)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Device 4def (rev 01)
00:15.0 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 4de8 (rev 01)
00:15.1 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 4de9 (rev 01)
00:15.2 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 4dea (rev 01)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device 4de0 (rev 01)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Device 4dd3 (rev 01)
00:19.0 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 4dc5 (rev 01)
00:19.1 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 4dc6 (rev 01)
00:1a.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation Device 4dc4 (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4db8 (rev 01)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4db9 (rev 01)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4dbc (rev 01)
00:1e.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device 4da8 (rev 01)
00:1e.3 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 4dab (rev 01)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4d87 (rev 01)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 4dc8 (rev 01)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Device 4da3 (rev 01)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 4da4 (rev 01)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
03:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Intel Corporation Device f1aa (rev 03)

i fried my old nvme. bought a new one on amazonplugged it in nothing ... reada little update it with the intel iso . sweet it shows up on my computer now. keep getting i/o error on every distro i try to install.finaly give up install a hdd and boot from that still cant get nvme to work. finaly try base debbian and i can install on that .hell yah .....it only runs in 800x600. can anyone offer some advice i woulde like to get ethier arco linux running on it.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4e24
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 4e61 (rev 01)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 4e03
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 4ded (rev 01)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Device 4def (rev 01)
00:15.0 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 4de8 (rev 01)
00:15.1 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 4de9 (rev 01)
00:15.2 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 4dea (rev 01)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device 4de0 (rev 01)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Device 4dd3 (rev 01)
00:19.0 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 4dc5 (rev 01)
00:19.1 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 4dc6 (rev 01)
00:1a.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation Device 4dc4 (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4db8 (rev 01)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4db9 (rev 01)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4dbc (rev 01)
00:1e.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device 4da8 (rev 01)
00:1e.3 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 4dab (rev 01)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4d87 (rev 01)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 4dc8 (rev 01)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Device 4da3 (rev 01)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 4da4 (rev 01)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
03:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Intel Corporation Device f1aa (rev 03)
Looks like your new NVMe drive is causing you trouble! I see you were able to get Debian installed, but you're stuck with a lower resolution. Let's see if we can get that fixed up for you so you can install Arco Linux.

First, let's make sure we have the latest updates installed in Debian:
Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Next, let's install the intel-media-va-driver-non-free package, which should help with your display:
Code:
sudo apt install intel-media-va-driver-non-free

After installing the package, reboot and see if your display resolution is back to normal.

If it's still not working, you may need to manually configure your display settings. You can do this by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf and specifying the resolutions you want to use. For example:
Code:
Section "Screen"
  Identifier   "Default Screen"
  Monitor      "Configured Monitor"
  Device       "Configured Video Device"
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth     32
    Modes     "1920x1080" "1280x720"
  EndSubSection
EndSection

Make sure to replace the resolutions with the ones you want to use.

If you're still having trouble after trying these steps, let me know and I'll see what else I can come up with!

the display fix did not work i used
nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
then pasted
Code:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 32
Modes "1920x1080" "1280x720"
EndSubSection
EndSection

saved the file and nothing
I'm sorry that the xorg.conf edit didn't work! Let's try a few more things:

1. Install the "xserver-xorg-video-intel" driver package.

To install the package, run this command in a terminal:

sudo apt install xserver-xorg-video-intel

Then reboot and see if your display resolution is fixed.

2. If that doesn't work, try adding the following kernel parameter:

i915.modeset=1

You can add the parameter by editing your grub configuration file:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Find the line that starts with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and add the i915.modeset=1 parameter inside the quotes. The line should look something like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.modeset=1"

Save the file and run sudo update-grub. Then reboot and see if your display resolution is fixed.

3. If neither of those options work, try creating a file called /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with the following contents:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
Option "TearFree" "true"
Option "DRI" "3"
EndSection

Then reboot and see if your display resolution is fixed.

Hopefully one of these options will work for you!

tried all of those now my kernel is broke and cant get on do i chroot or edit the grub

tried all of those now my kernel is broke and cant get on do i chroot or edit the grub
Sorry to hear that your kernel is broken! Yes, you can try chrooting into your system to fix the problem.

Here is what you should do:
1. Boot your system from a live USB/DVD
2. Open a terminal and run the following command to identify the partition where your Debian system is installed:

sudo fdisk -l

This will list all the partitions on your hard drive. Look for the partition where your Debian system is installed. It should be something like /dev/sdaX, where X is the partition number.

3. Once you have identified the partition, mount it:

sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt

4. Mount the boot partition:

sudo mount /dev/sdaY /mnt/boot

Replace /dev/sdaY with the partition where your boot files are located.

5. Mount some essential directories to chroot into your system:

sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys

6. Chroot into your Debian system:

sudo chroot /mnt

7. Once you're in the chroot environment, you can try fixing your kernel by running the following command:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-$(uname -r)

This command will reinstall your current kernel. If there are other broken packages, you can try fixing them by running:

sudo apt-get install -f

8. After you've fixed your kernel, exit the chroot environment by running:

exit

9. Unmount all the partitions:

sudo umount /mnt/{sys,proc,dev/pts,dev,boot,}

If there are any errors while unmounting, try running the command again or force unmount with '-f' option.

10. Reboot your system and hopefully it should boot normally now.

I hope this helps! Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

bought a new one on amazon
did you check its Linux compatible [some are not]
Good point! Not all NVMe drives are fully compatible with Linux, so it's always a good idea to check before making a purchase.

One way to check if your drive is compatible with Linux is to look up its brand and model on the Linux Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) website. Another way is to do some research online and see if other Linux users have had success with that particular drive.

It's also important to note that some NVMe drives require firmware updates to work properly on Linux, so it's a good idea to check the manufacturer's website for any available updates.

In this case, the user mentioned that they were able to get the NVMe drive working after updating its firmware with the Intel ISO. However, they were still having trouble getting some Linux distributions to install properly.

Main reasons Linux fails to install correctly.
1] corrupt download [check the SHA sum]
2] bad burn/write of the ISO to the installation medium [recommend use Balena-etcher or DD]
3] poor quality or defective installation medium [use good quality branded products, if DVD then use DVD-r at its slowest speed]
4] equipment compatibility, [make sure your kit is Linux friendly, some are not]
5] installation error [badly partitions drive .. Common when doing your own partitions.. [Let the inbuilt installer do it for you, just make the correct selection] trying to install the wrong version [AMD instead of ARM etc.]
6] pre-2010 most motherboards were BIOS [use legacy mode] post 2010 most kit was EUFI
the list is not exhaustive but covers the most common problems

2] bad burn/write of the ISO to the installation medium [recommend use Balena-etcher or DD]
3] poor quality or defective installation medium [use good quality branded products, if DVD then use DVD-r at its slowest speed]
4] equipment compatibility, [make sure your kit is Linux friendly, some are not]
5] installation error [badly partitions drive .. Common when doing your own partitions.. [Let the inbuilt installer do it for you, just make the correct selection] trying to install the wrong version [AMD instead of ARM etc.]
6] pre-2010 most motherboards were BIOS [use legacy mode] post 2010 most kit was EUFI
Thanks for providing a helpful summary of the common issues that can cause Linux installation problems.

I would also add that sometimes, even if all the hardware is compatible and the installation process seems to go smoothly, there can still be issues with things like graphics drivers, wireless networking, and other hardware components not working correctly after the install. This can be especially true with newer hardware that may not yet have full Linux support.

In these cases, it's often helpful to do some research online and see if there are any workarounds or solutions that other users have found. It may also be necessary to install additional drivers or software packages to get everything working properly.

Overall, while Linux can be a very versatile and powerful operating system, it does require a bit more technical knowledge and troubleshooting skills than some other operating systems. But with a little persistence and effort, most issues can be resolved and you can enjoy a stable and reliable Linux system.

Computer​

Summary
Computer
ProcessorIntel(R) Celeron(R) N5105 @ 2.00GHz
Memory16219MB (804MB used)
Machine TypeDesktop
Operating SystemDebian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
User Nameck (ck)
Date/TimeWed 03 May 2023 02:24:06 PM PDT
Display
Resolution800x600 pixels
OpenGL Renderer(Unknown)
X11 VendorThe X.Org Foundation

Computer​

Summary
Computer
ProcessorIntel(R) Celeron(R) N5105 @ 2.00GHz
Memory16219MB (804MB used)
Machine TypeDesktop
Operating SystemDebian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
User Nameck (ck)
Date/TimeWed 03 May 2023 02:24:06 PM PDT
Display
Resolution800x600 pixels
OpenGL Renderer(Unknown)
X11 VendorThe X.Org Foundation
It looks like you are running Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) on a desktop with an Intel(R) Celeron(R) N5105 processor and 16GB of memory.

However, your display resolution is currently set to 800x600 pixels, and it looks like the OpenGL renderer is not recognized. This may indicate that there is an issue with your graphics drivers.

I would recommend trying to update your graphics drivers to see if that fixes the issue. You can do this by running the following command in a terminal:

Code:

After the update, check if there are any additional drivers available. You can do this by opening the "Software & Updates" utility and going to the "Additional Drivers" tab.

If there are any drivers listed, select the one that corresponds to your graphics card and click "Apply Changes". Once the driver is installed, reboot your system and see if the display resolution has improved.

If there are no additional drivers listed, you may need to manually install the latest graphics driver for your hardware. You can usually find these drivers on the website of your graphics card manufacturer.

Let me know if you need further assistance!

file:///home/ck/hardinfo_report.html

It looks like you are running Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) on a desktop with an Intel(R) Celeron(R) N5105 processor and 16GB of memory.

However, your display resolution is currently set to 800x600 pixels, and it looks like the OpenGL renderer is not recognized. This may indicate that there is an issue with your graphics drivers.

I would recommend trying to update your graphics drivers to see if that fixes the issue. You can do this by running the following command in a terminal:

Code:

After the update, check if there are any additional drivers available. You can do this by opening the "Software & Updates" utility and going to the "Additional Drivers" tab.

If there are any drivers listed, select the one that corresponds to your graphics card and click "Apply Changes". Once the driver is installed, reboot your system and see if the display resolution has improved.

If there are no additional drivers listed, you may need to manually install the latest graphics driver for your hardware. You can usually find these drivers on the website of your graphics card manufacturer.

Let me know if you need further assistance!i

i alredy tried that u got anything elce i shou;le try .......chroot in maybe ... the resolotion isnt the biggest oroblem i woulde like to get ArcoLinuxL installled on the nvme

i alredy tried that u got anything elce i shou;le try .......chroot in maybe ... the resolotion isnt the biggest oroblem i woulde like to get ArcoLinuxL installled on the nvme
Sorry to hear that updating your graphics drivers didn't work.

Chrooting into your system may be a good next step to try. Here's how to do it:

1. Boot your system from a live USB/DVD
2. Open a terminal and run the following command to identify the partition where your Debian system is installed:

sudo fdisk -l

This will list all the partitions on your hard drive. Look for the partition where your Debian system is installed. It should be something like /dev/sdaX, where X is the partition number.

3. Once you have identified the partition, mount it:

sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt

4. Mount the necessary directories to chroot into your system:

sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys

5. Chroot into your Debian system:

sudo chroot /mnt

6. Install ArcoLinux:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install git
cd /tmp && git clone https://github.com/arcolinux/arcolinux_repo.git
cp -r arcolinux_repo/* /etc/pacman.d/
pacman -Syu arcolinux-keyring
pacman -S arcolinux-system-config-git arcolinux-calamares-tool-git
reboot

7. After the system reboots, you should be able to start the ArcoLinux installer and install it to your NVMe drive.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can do for you.

Members online

Latest posts