OH NO i locked my self out of my admin account

Z

zipster522

Hi my name is zach and just recently while I was using my new computer i forgot my admin password and am stuck in another created account stuck with filters.:( it would be excellent if I could get a step by step process in how to get back into it!;)

yes you can single user mode and changet the root password. and also try the grub using chroot mode and try to use hash password in there.

Please say what distro you are using. It could be a simple as editing a grub kernel line or as difficult as using backtrack/kali to learn the new password.

You can also boot via a live-boot CD, like sysresccd, then chroot into the hard disk. Now you're in as root, so you can change passwords all you want.

You can mount your root partition with a LiveCD and edit the file /etc/passwd and remove the password section.

Before:
Code:
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

After:
Code:
root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

You can also boot via a live-boot CD, like sysresccd, then chroot into the hard disk. Now you're in as root, so you can change passwords all you want.

I once locked myself out of an installed Knoppix with ViSudo. I was able to use the original Knoppix Live CD to access my file system and undo my mistake lol.

Members online

Latest posts