Ohh, about me?

kay-dee

Reaction score
Credits
Okay, let’s see: Born in England but shipped to Canada before I could acquire the nice accent. Now live in a small cottage on a Florida backwater but you’ll usually find me bobbing about in the Bahamas, though I have single-handed my little boat to Jamaica, Cayman, the Bay Islands of Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, the Yucatan of Mexico, the Florida Keys, and currently, the Dominican Republic. And I admit to having murdered a lot of fish along the way. Yummy.

Yup, love to cook. And eat. I relish the dumpy seafood joints that dot the coastline of Florida. Cracked conch, oysters, fish & chips, fried shrimp, crab cakes… can’t get enough. Though I do watch my weight.

I make a modest living as a freelance writer; commercial stuff, though my publisher loves me because I dump a couple of novels on her desk each year.

I have an old Asus with Win7 which I use strictly as a word processor and I have GIMP installed as well, for photo manipulation. My main machine, recently acquired, is a Clevo N141ZU with Zorin/Gnome. It is my “go-to-shore” computer, leaving my Thinkpad X230 for experimenting with new distros. Been a Linux user for about four years.

On a personal note: I am thirty-three and a self-subscribed loner. I hang out in bars, but only for the wifi. And I can strip down an outboard, rebuild the carburetor, and have the engine up and running within an hour.

That’s me, in a cockle shell,

Katie

Wow! Quite a bio you have there Katie. Welcome to the community!
We have one or two other seafaring types here - who'll probably introduce themselves here at some point.

What sort of novels do you write? Just wondering because I'm a voracious reader and a bit of a book-nerd!

G'day Katie, and Welcome to linux.org

Rebuilding a carby is quite a feat (small engine mechanic here...50 years + )

Did you mention the written word ?....I am all ears...

Hey @JasKinasis
Is that you behind the drum kit? I tried that. But not coordinated enough. Books are Stephen King-like but from the female prospective.

Katie

Thanks, @Condobloke, good to be aboard. Yeah, the guys love to watch me strip down an engine. I've got a good set of tools which helps. And the secret? A service manual :)
Presently working on my 13th novel.
Katie

Okay, let’s see: Born in England but shipped to Canada before I could acquire the nice accent. Now live in a small cottage on a Florida backwater but you’ll usually find me bobbing about in the Bahamas, though I have single-handed my little boat to Jamaica, Cayman, the Bay Islands of Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, the Yucatan of Mexico, the Florida Keys, and currently, the Dominican Republic. And I admit to having murdered a lot of fish along the way. Yummy.

Yup, love to cook. And eat. I relish the dumpy seafood joints that dot the coastline of Florida. Cracked conch, oysters, fish & chips, fried shrimp, crab cakes… can’t get enough. Though I do watch my weight.

I make a modest living as a freelance writer; commercial stuff, though my publisher loves me because I dump a couple of novels on her desk each year.

I have an old Asus with Win7 which I use strictly as a word processor and I have GIMP installed as well, for photo manipulation. My main machine, recently acquired, is a Clevo N141ZU with Zorin/Gnome. It is my “go-to-shore” computer, leaving my Thinkpad X230 for experimenting with new distros. Been a Linux user for about four years.

On a personal note: I am thirty-three and a self-subscribed loner. I hang out in bars, but only for the wifi. And I can strip down an outboard, rebuild the carburetor, and have the engine up and running within an hour.

That’s me, in a cockle shell,

Katie
Very cool :)

Hey @JasKinasis
Is that you behind the drum kit? I tried that. But not coordinated enough. Books are Stephen King-like but from the female prospective.

Katie

It is indeed! I always wanted to be a guitarist. But due to my first band being unable to find a drummer, I decided to become their temporary drummer, until we found somebody better....Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, everybody - including myself - forgot that this was supposed to be a temporary arrangement! :/

28 years and a number of bands later - I'm now drumming semi-professionally in two gigging rock/metal bands.

A female-perspective Stephen King eh? Sounds right up my street! I love horror fiction. Alongside all of the usual geek fodder (sci-fi, fantasy, manga etc.)

If you have any links to anywhere to buy your books. I’d more than happily take a look. If you don’t want to publicly post links here - feel free to pm them to me!

Welcome aboard! I am a mechanic as well props to you for the carb life! Seems like you live a very interesting life I'm new to Linux but so far its served me well. i wish i was living the "dumpy seafood joints that dot the coastline of Florida. Cracked conch, oysters, fish & chips, fried shrimp, crab cakes… " but instead i had to end up in Kansas of all places haha! nice to meet you .

Hey xXNORDXx... look on the bright side. All that Florida fried food will kill you! But Kansas? Sorry, not trading with you :)
Katie

And my friend, Vrai. Thank you for your help on an earlier post. Everything going well here, with the new computer and the dual drives. Some more testing and I'll be set to start downloading files.
Looking forward to that, finally.
Best,
Katie

Hey @JasKinasis, I took a bit of time thinking about this because I wanted to get it right.
First, thank you for your kind thoughts and interest in my books. I use a pen name for several reasons, but foremost, because there is a lot of ‘me’ bound up in my characters. In fact some of my characters are me.
And, as my publisher once said: “Katie, you emotionally strip down naked for your readers.” (Yikes, I wouldn’t have put it in quite those terms :) ) My publisher, by the way, is the only living person that knows who I am. Even my mother doesn’t know who I am.
So I think you get the idea: My darkest secrets, my fears and desires, my frailties are all there; shockingly laid out in my books.
And I get mail. From women here, and in Europe where my books are popular. “Thank you. I thought I was the only one,” is a common thread.
So to save embarrassment, I remain closeted and a very private person. I’m not entirely without special relationships, but I live alone and like it that way. Except when the dog wants out at 3am. No. Just kidding. Don’t own a dog.

Katie

A service manual
G'day Katie and welcome to the community.
The best tool in any mechanics tool box, the service manual. Whether your fixing an aircraft, stripping down and rebuilding a motorcycle or car, marine engine or farming equipment, makes it easier to prevent mistakes due to forgetfulness in regards to the equipment you are working on.

Hey @JasKinasis, I took a bit of time thinking about this because I wanted to get it right.
First, thank you for your kind thoughts and interest in my books. I use a pen name for several reasons, but foremost, because there is a lot of ‘me’ bound up in my characters. In fact some of my characters are me.
And, as my publisher once said: “Katie, you emotionally strip down naked for your readers.” (Yikes, I wouldn’t have put it in quite those terms :) ) My publisher, by the way, is the only living person that knows who I am. Even my mother doesn’t know who I am.
So I think you get the idea: My darkest secrets, my fears and desires, my frailties are all there; shockingly laid out in my books.
And I get mail. From women here, and in Europe where my books are popular. “Thank you. I thought I was the only one,” is a common thread.
So to save embarrassment, I remain closeted and a very private person. I’m not entirely without special relationships, but I live alone and like it that way. Except when the dog wants out at 3am. No. Just kidding. Don’t own a dog.

Katie

No worries, Katie. I understand perfectly and can completely respect that. I have a number of friends in the creative industries who use pseudonyms/stage names/pen-names to help keep their private lives and their career-related public lives clearly separated.

I suspected you might want to keep it completely to yourself. But I decided to ask purely on the off-chance - in case you were willing to promote your books. Did I mention I was a book nerd?! Asking rhetorically!

Anyway, once again - welcome to the community!

OK, girl, spill the beans.

I have been holding back on reading this until I had a few minutes up my sleeve, and now it's 2020, I am making them. Figured I would not be disappointed, and I am not.

What a great intro! :):)

We have been getting a number of these lately, and they really give us an insight into what makes our Members tick, it's wonderful.

...spill the beans.

You're 41 in your Profile, and 33 here - or is that a thing like with the novels nom-de-plume?

Ta (Aussie for thank you, pron. tar) for sharing, and we look forward to your continued journeys in Linux.

Wizard

BTW - Hey Jas, did you guys get any gigs for New Year? If so, share the news at Rock Roxx :)

Thanks for the welcome @Nik-Ken-Bah and the trick to using a Service Manual is not let anyone see you reading it! More impressive that way.
Thanks for being a bud, @JasKinasis. I leave the promoting to my publisher. She's better at it and frankly, I don't have the time. Have a book coming out this spring and again it the fall. Currently working on a release for 2021. Sixty thousand words in... about halfway done.
And Wiz. Cross referencing? Don't know what happened in my Profile but I'm differently thirty-three! If I tell you my birthday will you send me a prezzie?
Thanx you guys, great to be here...
Katie

is not let anyone see you reading it!
When working on Hercy Birds whether in the Hanger doing an R3 servicing or in the workshop it was mandatory to have the applicable publications on hand for referencing when working on the aircraft or an aircraft component. That never changes when you change units and worked on other aircraft types.
So it don't worry me to see a mechanic or technician checking a service manual every so often to ensure they have not overlooked anything and the same goes with myself. It lifts the confidence in the person you are doing the work for. But then that is from my perspective and experience.

Members online