Old acer laptop, linux noob, have questions

Well, hmm... sort of, maybe. I downloaded the latest May 2021 Win 10, and dd worked without errors. But the USB did not boot the first 2 computers I tried, even after resetting BIOS/UEFI to defaults first on one of them (that came with Win 10 originally). My wife has a Microsoft Surface Book laptop, and it did boot the USB. The others recognized the USB in the BIOS Boot Menu... they just failed to boot it.
I haven't installed Windows on physical hardware in years, I tried it on my main system and it worked. Just tried it on my laptop and it didn't recognize it either. Guess I was lucky the it working on the first system I tried, good thing all my systems run Linux :)

Can't remember the exact one, but I also came to the conclusion that a WiFi dongle was the way to go
The pc is a hp pavillion 15.

Also have that HP older. Has W 8.1 installed Mint and dual boot. Never boot into W only Mint. But the WiFi, even with a dongle here and there does not work for Linux. It sits on a desk and connects Wired so not a deal breaker. I bought a newer HP laptop, It had W 10. Now it Runs MX Linux and all Wifi and Bluetooth works just fine.

I think the hp will have to stay windows. I will do my research before buying anything in future, although we had no idea how bad windows 10 was going to be when we bought it.

I think the hp will have to stay windows. I will do my research before buying anything in future, although we had no idea how bad windows 10 was going to be when we bought it.

The Newer HP laptop I bought had W 10 the older one had 8.1

The Newer Has MX Linux and all Wifi and Bluetooth works, and MX is a nice distro. I just updated it And installed some stuff Sunday afternoon all Wifi. So It does depend on the Wireless hardware version.

I gave up getting the older one to work, even with USB adapters and the like, the hardware would be seen and says working, but never could get it to actually work. But go figure W 8.1 likes the hardware on the older HP, both were Wallyworld specials at 199.00. My little Dell Touchscreen laptop works with Peppermint Linux. All Wifi, bluetooth and even the touch screen, did not have to search for any drivers. Worked as soon as installed.

Lol! Yeah, I was planning to try it first, just in case something didn't work. What do you think of Rufus for making bootable usbs? There were a lot of negative comments for balena etcher.
Rufus will have some issues while burning linux iso while its also a very good burning tool for other OS's but for linux I highly recommend using etcher as I have burned many Linux OS's to my drive with etcher and I never faced any problem with etcher and also I faced a lots of issues while using etcher

sorry I might be late replying to this post but you might consider this,
Hope its useful:D

I will have to try that... thanks! :)

I have never found any Linux-based solutions that actually work for burning Win 10 ISO's, but I have tried several that claim to. One common problem may be using USB's formatted as FAT32, and there's a file inside the Windows ISO (install.wim) that exceeds the 4GB file size limit. The USB should begin with a GUID Partition Table (GPT) and formatted as NTFS to even have a chance of success, but there may still be other problems. I haven't tried this in quite awhile.
I use WoeUSB to make a bootable USB for Win10
To install WoeUSB
Code:
sudo apt install git p7zip-full python3-pip python3-wxgtk4.0
Code:
sudo pip3 install WoeUSB-ng

Members online