Old dog, New member

DeceptionofArt

Reaction score
Credits
I was a IT Director and a CTO in a past life. Found this forum, lurked and thought these seem like some amiable people. I have a few questions and need a few answers.

Hello and thank you for what you do to provide people with your knowledge and wisdom.

Hello DeceptionofArt,
Welcome to the Group :)

Many of the regulars are, shall we say, of an advanced age.

In a non-PC way, we're a bunch of old farts.

If you're going to keep Secure Boot Enabled ou need to try distributions that support Secure Boot. This means that, as @Lord Boltar sort of said, their bootloader is signed with a trusted signature.

As the main software that provides Secure Boot support for Linux is shim, you can check which distributions are Secure Boot friendly by querying for the package shim at resources like distrowatch. If a distribution provides shim, chances are that you can boot and install it. I wrote a piece on the whole process and how to be able to install modules on a secure boot enabled installation (it was Debian at the time of writing)

Check https://distrowatch.com/search.php?pkg=shim&relation=lessequal&pkgver=1&distrorange=InAny to choose your distribution if you want to play along with Secur

If you're going to keep Secure Boot Enabled ou need to try distributions that support Secure Boot. This means that, as @Lord Boltar sort of said, their bootloader is signed with a trusted signature.

As the main software that provides Secure Boot support for Linux is shim, you can check which distributions are Secure Boot friendly by querying for the package shim at resources like distrowatch. If a distribution provides shim, chances are that you can boot and install it. I wrote a piece on the whole process and how to be able to install modules on a secure boot enabled installation (it was Debian at the time of writing)

Check https://distrowatch.com/search.php?pkg=shim&relation=lessequal&pkgver=1&distrorange=InAny to choose your distribution if you want to play along with Secure Boot.
I am not going to keep UEFI. I am at the point of change, Windows 11 crossed the line and I understand why Microsoft did what it had to do. I am searching for the alternative and forever flavor, I've tended to stick with Debian. It's clean but still elegant.

Thank you, I read the thread and blog.

Welcome to the forums

G'day @DeceptionofArt and welcome to linux.org :)

@arochester 's question at #2

What are your questions?

...might have been general in nature, but support questions are best addressed in the forums, not in Member Introductions.

Could you address that question by starting a thread in one of the subforums? You could just click Forums (not the down list) and open in a new tab, then go to the one which best suits, eg General Linux.

@Lord Boltar and @gvisoc , could you please (copy if you wish and) delete your Posts, and we'll get this back to a Meet and Greet thread.

Thanks

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW @DeceptionofArt - you're a young'un - we have members here 85+, a number in their 70s, and heaps in their 60s :)

Members online

Latest posts