Older 12.04 386 ISO wanted where can I find it

U

URDRWHO

I want to install 12.04 LTS on an old laptop but I can't find a place to download the version. I want a 386 and not 64 bit.

I get a lot of hits for older Ubuntu versions but can't find a Kubuntu 12.04.

I don't know about older laptops, but you can run 32 bit issues on a 64 bit machine.

The reason I asked is because I've just tried installing Xbuntu 386 and Kubuntu 386 and both run on live disk but won't re-boot to a screen.

Guess I'll re-install the Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit.

I'm on a trek to find what works best on this old laptop with 2 gigs of ram. It doesn't play well with 14.04 (video issues). Errr older Nvidia stuff.

At the moment Xbuntu is installed and i went into live disk and edited grub and added nomodeset. The 386 version booted to a screen. After Kubuntu I am not thrilled with the look of Xbuntu. Now that I know what to do, I'll probably play around with Xbuntu and then re-install the 12.04 386 disk.

I don't know about older laptops, but you can run 32 bit issues on a 64 bit machine.

Last edited:
Installed Xbuntu, didn't like the look. Installed Kubuntu 32 bit but had a lot of issues with video, couldn't even get the ISO to load without using nomodeset found in F6. Went back to the 14.04 64 bit and the ISO starts without any special modes, video install works well.

The 64 bit can't take that much more resources. I have 2 gigs of ram.

nomodeset?

Look here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/1620...black-screen-what-options-do-i-have-to-fix-it

Scroll down to: Black/purple screen after you boot Ubuntu for the first time

So I guess the GFX drivers available in the newer versions of *buntu must have dropped support for your video card or something. Would certainly explain the video problems you were having with 14.x. That or it's some kind of bug/reversion in the drivers that affects your card. I feel guilty telling you to update in your other thread now! :/

Drivers are included in the Linux kernel. Find out what kernel two given releases use and work it out from there. You mentioned "nvidia" so it's likely to be an issue relating to the nouveau driver, or perhaps in one release you installed the proprietary blob driver but not in the other? Regardless of this, would need to know more about the specific hardware...

Nah....no biggie! I'm getting very adept at fresh installs on the laptop play machine. :)

I've gotten addicted to the look of Kubuntu but I'm not sure it is the best distro on this older laptop.

So I guess the GFX drivers available in the newer versions of *buntu must have dropped support for your video card or something. Would certainly explain the video problems you were having with 14.x. That or it's some kind of bug/reversion in the drivers that affects your card. I feel guilty telling you to update in your other thread now! :/

Members online