OMG! I can't tell what my problem is!

Sherri is a Cat

Reaction score
Credits
I just need to rant for a minute about this move to Linux. Maybe someone else has had a similar experience.

I made an attempt a couple of years ago to move to Linux. It seemed simple enough to try out different distros. At that time, I wasn't as disgusted with Microsoft as I am now. Linux went on the back burner.

Lately and far too often I find myself yelling and cursing Microsoft. I swear they are messing with things somehow! I keep having issues that began when they started pushing out Win 11 and ended support for Win 8.1. It seems the problems are becoming more and more frequent and take more time to get straightened out...staying connected to the internet, start up is exceeding slow, everything is slow! The only way I found to fix it was to uninstall some "Updates". I finally disabled the updates, determined to move on over ASAP. Microsoft had no problem hijacking peoples computers and eating up data without any warning, or even asking permission when they force fed Win10 to the masses. I wouldn't put it past them to do something just as sinister now!

I've been waiting for a day that I could spend some significant time on this project. I've dabbled with Linux with the solid intention of moving over permanently. At that time, I wasn't running to the toilet every time I thought of Microsoft.

I don't remember it being this much work! What happened? I've been at this all day. I swear I'm not dumb, but I keep running into problems. Nothing in the command window seems to be working when I try to verify things or in Power Shell. I follow instructions over and over, but I keep getting errors. That makes me suspect Microsoft. But my brain is taxed. I'm going through a divorce, learning how to be an arm-chair attorney. Is it me? Or is it Microsoft? I've been getting so frustrated today I want to scream!!! I'm so aggravated I almost started to cry!

All I want to do is install Linux Mint on a virtual machine. I've always managed to fix every computer problem myself. Just follow the directions. Look things up, read, find out what something means. This should NOT be this hard! I think I have to put this project away for the evening. Hopefully tomorrow I'll see how simple it really is. Maybe I'll realize the silly little mistake I'm making that I can't see right now because I'm so frustrated, angry and tired!

Anyone else felt this way?

I have tried Linux Mint for a short while last year, then never after so I don't remember how it went for me.

However it should be fairly simple if you're completely decided you want Windows completely off your internal HDD/SSD. The Linux OS installer should have a mode called "Use Entire Disk" to divide the disk into special sections. There should be at least three partitions: the EFI System Partition (ESP) which is needed to boot the computer into the operating system, the partition for the system itself, and a "swap" partition. The "swap" should be allocated to at least the size of RAM of your computer, of up to twice as much. The ESP should be at least 512MB although other Linux OS like EndeavourOS and Fedora are starting to go with 1GB or more. (I mentioned those other distros as example, please don't confuse yourself any further reading this.)

But please note that after you take this step there's no going back to Windows right away!

Other things the installer asks such as user name and password, keyboard layout and time zone should be straightforward...

If you need instead a way to "dual-boot" Windows and one Linux OS, then another member of this site should answer you because it's something I have never needed to set up.

Another thing I almost forgot to mention is how to use the ISO. It's better to get an USB disk at least 16GB in size and "burn" the ISO image onto that disk, by using Rufus, Balena Etcher or other such program. But you might know that already.

The tricky part then is to boot into that USB disk instead of into Windows. It might require you going into the "motherboard setup" or alike of your computer to change its settings. You might have to disable "secure boot" and change the boot order, putting first "external disk" or "USB" before the internal disk.

Just nipping in the bud what might lead to Support matters being dealt with in Off Topic.

Sherri I suggest that you start a new Thread in Getting Started and also mention there about Virtual Machine options.

I can always move Wendy's Post there if appropriate.

Cheers

Wizard

BTW nice rant - you poor possum, you have a lot on your plate :)

Just nipping in the bud what might lead to Support matters being dealt with in Off Topic.

Sherri I suggest that you start a new Thread in Getting Started and also mention there about Virtual Machine options.

I can always move Wendy's Post there if appropriate.

Cheers

Wizard

BTW nice rant - you poor possum, you have a lot on your plate :)
I waited to get help because of the intense frustration I was dealing with yesterday. I don't know if I could have been clear about exactly what I'm trying to do, explaining my problem or had the ability to comprehend suggestions and/or instructions.

I have Linux Mint-Cinnamon, the verification files, recommended GNUP and Oracle VM Virtual Box downloaded. As of now, my problem is verifying the Linux ISO.

As I said previously, my problem could be a very simple one and my aggravation could be interfering with my ability to comprehend simple instructions.

Given other factors in my life right now, I don't want to completely ditch Windows yet. I do know my way around it. After sufficient yelling and swearing, I can eventually get things working properly.

I have things to do right now that require a computer of some kind. I don't know how challenging Linux will be for me. I need to circumnavigate any possible additional stress.

So here I go again! If I'm still having problems after a good nights rest, I'll be back to ask for help with this problem.

Thank you!

Just my thoughts. Don't add shifting OS to your load. Stick with windows long enough to get rid of the divorce thing.

When all that dust has settled, immerse yourself in Linux. It can be quite therapeutic.

Stick to just one distro when you do...Linux Mint. It is straightforward. It has more than ample support. It is reliable and rock solid, and you can install every update without having nightmares.

Best of luck with the D crap...been there, done that...twice. I feel for you.
Get it over and done with. Your good health is worth more than any settlement crap.

Just my thoughts. Don't add shifting OS to your load. Stick with windows long enough to get rid of the divorce thing.

When all that dust has settled, immerse yourself in Linux. It can be quite therapeutic.

Stick to just one distro when you do...Linux Mint. It is straightforward. It has more than ample support. It is reliable and rock solid, and you can install every update without having nightmares.

Best of luck with the D crap...been there, done that...twice. I feel for you.
Get it over and done with. Your good health is worth more than any settlement crap.
I got a hearing set last week. The next step of the divorce is in late July. I have some time right now. If I can remove the persistent interference of Microsoft now, it will help with the stress now rather than later.

Besides, I enjoy challenges! I usually catch on the things pretty quickly too. This is a good distraction for me.

As of now, my problem is verifying the Linux ISO.

How are you trying to verify the ISO? Get-Filehash in a powershell prompt should give you the SHA-256 by default (being the algorithm an option), and even comparing it “by eye” with the content of the text files you’ve download should be all you need to do.

The syntax is Get-Filehash the_filename_of_your_.iso:
IMG_4041.png

After restarting my computer earlier, I had to jump through more hoops than ever to get things going again.

I did a little research. Apparently Microsoft IS intentionally interfering with performance to force people to upgrade.

I think I'm going to have to partition my hard drive to do this. I wouldn't put it past them to intentionally interfere with installation of Linux.

First I have to find that 500 GB USB drive I have, somewhere. I'm also having issues with my DVD drive.

If all of this hadn't started with rollout of Windows 11 I'd be worried I have an infection. Maybe I do, maybe I don't. I'm sick of Microsoft! I'll be back, but this time to get help with installation in the help forums.

As I've said, if you have problems with your DVD drive, it might be better to put the ISO onto an USB disk that you plug in only for the purpose of booting into Linux and installing it.

Sadly you will have to use a Windows program for it such as Rufus. I would have recommended Fedora Media Writer in the past which was dead easy (could deal with any ISO not just Fedora's) but it's a 32-bit program, could cause issues on Windows11.

A couple of ISO's are getting too big to fit into a single-sided DVD anyway. At least three of the Ubuntu ones. Count out most of those by Red Hat Enterprise Linux and its derrivatives like Rocky Linux. You will need an USB disk at least 16GB for it. (Well for a "fat" Ubuntu at least 8GB but I don't think those are sold any longer. Probably the 32GB ones aren't neither but I know the USB v3.1 and later ones aren't sold in denominations smaller than 64GB.)

gvisoc that screenshot is a few years old, isn't it?

I used Rufus the last time I dabbled with Linux. It's on that 500GB flash drive that I haven't been able to find.

I must have 100 USB drives around the house. I found the case I bought to store USB drives.

Case for USB drives.jpg

Unfortunately, it looks like I never used it.
Empty.jpg

I can only find 2. The biggest one I have is 3GB!

I just ordered a 128GB drive. It will be here the day after tomorrow. Experience tells me that the second that drive arrives the one I've been looking for will suddenly appear. And then I'll go get that tool!

Thank you!

In the mean time, I'm going to start over trying to use a virtual box.

Maybe one of you could answer this though...

I have a RAVPower file hub. I have never used it, but was wondering if it might work for this.

RAVPower FileHub

DAMN YOU MICROSOFT!!
I have never, ever seen "Microsoft Edge WebView 2" in the "Task Manager", EVER!!! It's signed by Microsoft. I checked!
I look in the Task Manager frequently, several times a day! I never asked for this, I never got a request to install it!

Microsoft Edge.JPG

PROGRESS REPORT:

Yes, a fresh brain is a very good thing! I found a different explanation of how to use Windows Power Shell to check the authenticity.
Success! The first time!
I'm thinking it might be helpful to someone else who might have trouble figuring this out too maybe. Where would I put it?

:cool:

I'm seriously considering writing a tutorial explaining how to verify the integrity of a Linux distro in Windows. There are LOTS of directions out there. I found exactly one that was easy to follow AND worked. I would put a link to the website, but the history is automatically deleted when I closed the browser. I don't remember exactly what search terms I used when I found it. If I find it again, I will definitely put it somewhere around here. From what I keep reading, verifying the authenticity seems to be an issue for a lot of people using Windows

This comes from Clem and the team who write Linux Mint
The link in bold is the one you want

from :https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/verify.html

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=291093 ..... <<<< for windows
That's not it. I tried that one a couple of days ago. It didn't work on my system, 8.1.

On my system, I have to put the ENTIRE path inside apostrophes.

It's MUCH easier to use Power Shell ISE. You can back space, delete, copy and paste commands! It's a lot easier to start over if you type something in wrong. After every back slash, a drop down menu opens up. You just keep selecting folders until you get to your destination, add the last apostrophe and hit enter.

I have a few things to add that I figured out on my own though. It's not necessary to look through every line to check the sha256sum. I figured that out when I verified Virtual Box. Using the find function in word pad, or any other word processor takes right to the numbers you need to check.

I learned about "Find and Replace" while I was writing orders and motions for this divorce I'm going through write now!

Last edited:
It's MUCH easier to use Power Shell ISE. You can back space, delete, copy and paste commands! It's a lot easier to start over if you type something in wrong. After every back slash, a drop down menu opens up. You just keep selecting folders until you get to your destination, add the last apostrophe and hit enter.
That's one thing you could do much better than I could. I hated Power Shell. I studied other scripts and tried to write my own which was a simple command call with replacement parameters but the stupid thing refused to run it, said my user didn't have enough credentials! I gave up right then and there with Power Shell. I think it's disgusting that File Explorer offers to launch that junk instead of CMD.EXE which I needed much much more for three years on a budget HP laptop with Windows10 not updated since 2017 that has never felt Internet.

It seems almost the same as the regular old command line to me. I hate having to re-type everything because of one single character. I really like that I can paste commands and then edit it for the paths in my system.

OMG! I can't believe I'm talking about command lines and paths. Is that me?
I freaking sound like I actually know what I'm talking about!

Don't be fooled. It's only an illusion.

You don't need to run the checksum of the Mint ISO if you're running it in virtualbox...I never do.

Virtualbox is a good way to see how Mint looks and works and congrats for wanting to switch to Linux...Virtualbox works the same in windowz as in Linux Mint...unfortunately my knowledge of windowz ended at 7...lucky me. I have Mint Cinnamon 20.1 in virtualbox at the moment..
m1213.gif

as one of many who got totally fed up with windows, what i did was just get a second computer, get latest Mint iso on a usb. you can use microsoft to do that. plug it in and just install it straight up, deleting everything that was on that computer. no virtual machines, no multiple OS. simple.

it took about a year of getting everything set up before I was confident i didn't need MS for anything. then install Linux on the first computer and deleted Windows for good. that way everything is clear for someone like me who is not a pro.

the last thing to go was microsoft 365 which goDaddy uses for email hosting. But proton mail makes it fairly easy and has good instructions on how to have a custom email and then change the DNS, MX settings so that email goes through proton instead of that cursed outlook. And with mutt and proton bridge i get all my email accounts in one, in the terminal and it is fast and efficient. Plus, i learned a ton in the process.

i have never even once, not even a little bit missed microsoft for anything.

Members online