One Distro = One Model of Laptop and Possibly one DE

incedis

Reaction score
Credits
Just an idea..
I have been distro hoping a lot and testing DE..
I stopped upon one Distro and one DE that fits my hardware/laptop. This is not a choice I made. Frankly on a personal note, could not careless about using Gnome/KDE/Xfce/ etc.. They all work well for the type of work I do with my laptop. What amazed me (not a geek nor a techy) is the difference on how my laptop would react towards the different Distro and DE I was using. My point is. as a non techy and non geek and non linux fan-boy, I want to slap a Distro with a DE onto my Laptop and be up and running in no time with no tweaks (as much as possible). All the subsequent tweaks would be on a voluntary basis and not because reacting to an issue with the Distro and DE..
The point, why not make a Distro and DE specifically geared towards such Model of Laptop in order for the other users like me to be able to use Linux and not have to worry about the technical aspects of anything.. It makes such a difference when you have a laptop that responds to a T to your OS/DE.. Very similar to Apple product which are built and compiled by the same company.. Its smooth as butter..

The point, why not make a Distro and DE specifically geared towards such Model of Laptop in order for the other users like me to be able to use Linux and not have to worry about the technical aspects of anything..
There is such a product and distribution, they are not a cheap option, and that is System76 computer systems with their own version of linux called Pop os,

It is quite possible that if you were to provide your laptops make & Model, processor, memory (ram) graphics card etc etc etc, we could most likely recommend/suggest a suitable distro for that particular Laptop

Other factors that need to be taken into account are your personal preferences/abilities....., (and factors such as making sure a backup app is available to safeguard your data.....among other things.

The level of your "technical ability" to then use these apps is difficult to quantify.

We are well practised in the art of assessing those abilities...we may not get it 100% correct every time but we do go close.

Your previous experiences with whichever OS's you have used may or may not influence your decision.

So, in conclusion, your idea is sound, it just requires a bit of fine tuning.

Thanks for your replies.
A lot of moving parts for sure. I am satisfied for the moment with the distro and DE that I am using. My laptop is responding very well. I made some compromise with AMD iGPU. Issue with internal backlight display. Made my peace with it. My needs are extremely basics on a computing level. My technical ability is non existent. I follow howtos when clear enough and most of the time it works out.
I was expressing my experience as far as Linux Distros and DE and found in fact that the Linux eco system works very different from Win.. One Distro/DE for one type of laptop. For simplicity sake, I am not mentionning internal components. Win would be one size fits all.. I believe Apple is in another category all together. A lot of wanna be Linux User, approach Linux thinking full compatibility with their laptop (because of the open source semantic). Its almost never going to be the case. I am not saying its not going to work..But its going to be a pain for sure.

@Condobloke
did you realise this article is 16 years old.... just shows how perception still hasn't changed, and the questions/problems still roll on in the same fashion.

B.

Windows has changed a bit since then. You're no longer an admin and they're finally a multi-user system.

A few other things have changed. You no longer need to put Linux together like Lego bricks, for example.

So, there's that...

Members online