Open apps titles do not show in panel after minimizing window

Vicktoria

Reaction score
Credits
Hiya Linux Forum. I'm getting closer to heaven, yet not functioning smoothly yet. I did successfully install Virtual Box, which then allowed me to install my astrology program properly. This program, as well as successful dial up connection are required for me to transfer totally away from windows. I did not notice prior to installing VB, that the titles of minimized windows were not showing in the central area of the panel. When I attempt to minimize an app, it disappears as if it is closed. It may be just hiding, because I accidentally minimized terminal, on which wvdial was running, yet it appears I'm still connected. I have no known way to confirm that other than an earlier post went through. I'd like to find some way to monitor dialup connections so I know how fast the connection is etc.

I tried to post the above paragraph from dialup last night and failed evidently.

Does anyone have a clue what happened to my window behavior? I still have to download 'guest additions' for VB.

The mouse has been acting strange since the beginning of Mint 20.2 installation on this Dell Latitude E6440. Double click is the only option. The apps and files often don't open. Must access 'open' from menu. The screen flashes sometimes when trying to open something. That is all I can think of about the mouse behavior to share at this time. It is wireless logitech. Thank you All for your kind attention.

I did successfully install Virtual Box, which then allowed me to install my astrology program properly.
I mentioned before (here) that Virtual Box does NOT install programs. It only installs operating systems. But your thread title here indicates that installing Virtual Box has messed up the way your panel behaves. I don't think that's possible.

It is far better to keep each thread focused on just a single topic. Then, if a solution is found, you can change the thread title to show [SOLVED]... and it will make sense to future readers. So, you see, we should not have drifted off into the "panel problem" in your "how to connect to dialup" thread.

I would suggest changing the title of this thread to just, "Open apps titles do not show in Cinnamon panel" (if that is accurate) and let's work on that. Agreed?

Last edited:
Yes a title change is ok with me. Yes I was assuming [which we never should do] that windows OS would be assumed. I put XP on VBox as that is the only disk I have. The astrology program is installed in XP on VBox. Since it seems the issue with window minimization only began after that installation. Thank you for your assist in clear communications.

Yes a title change is ok with me.
Okay, good... but you'll have to do it. Go to your first post above and click on Edit (at the bottom of the post). You can then change the title to add Cinnamon and remove VBOX.

I put XP on VBox as that is the only disk I have. The astrology program is installed in XP on VBox.
I suspected that, but I didn't want to assume either! ;) So you have solved that project yourself to get your astrology program working... well done!

Let's confirm your OS and desktop again: Linux Mint 20.2 with Cinnamon desktop, right?

I've installed that on a spare laptop to try to avoid any differences with my Mint Debian w/Cinnamon. I think they would work exactly alike, but better not to assume!

And if I understand correctly (correct me if I'm wrong).... you want 2 changes to your panel:
1. Move icons from the left side of the panel to the center of the panel, and
2. Change the icons so that they also show text to identify the apps.

If this is correct, each of these needs its own fix, but I think I've got them. Ready?

I'm in Nirvana!!! We have liftoff, the Linux Machine is in a perfect state with all systems functioning. At least as far as I'm currently aware. The answer to the missing minimized windows was solved by an applet. In editing the panel the applets 'Window List' and 'Windows Quick List' brought the minimized and labled titile to the central area of the panel. I think the 'Window List' would have been sufficient. VBox is also working FYI. I may need a new mouse to get the opening of files to consistently occur on the first attempt. I am exstatic, as I've been trying to get here for over 3 yrs. It couldn't have happened without all of your help. I am so grateful and look forward to watching the site for further learning opportunities. Thank you, Thank you All.

I'm in Nirvana!!! We have liftoff, the Linux Machine is in a perfect state with all systems functioning. At least as far as I'm currently aware. The answer to the missing minimized windows was solved by an applet. In editing the panel the applets 'Window List' and 'Windows Quick List' brought the minimized and labled titile to the central area of the panel. I think the 'Window List' would have been sufficient. VBox is also working FYI. I may need a new mouse to get the opening of files to consistently occur on the first attempt. I am exstatic, as I've been trying to get here for over 3 yrs. It couldn't have happened without all of your help. I am so grateful and look forward to watching the site for further learning opportunities. Thank you, Thank you All.

Well done... again! Congratulations! :)

I think you have learned that the best way... is DOING. You'll make mistakes sometimes, but "experience is the best teacher," so they say.

You might still consider changing the title of this thread to remove VBOX, and now you can add [SOLVED] to the title too (at the beginning, or end... doesn't matter, I don't think).

Members online

Latest posts