OpenSUSE 15.3 to 15.4 upgrade - stuck on EFI vs Legacy boot

geno11x11

Reaction score
Credits
I am doing a routine OpenSUSE LEAP 15.3 to 15.4 system upgrade. At the end of the installation process - when it is ready to proceed - an error appears that 15.4 cannot install because the system was booted to Legacy bios. I have the option in 15.3 to boot UEFI but I am unsure of the resulting outcome and chose to abort the install.

Background: Having dealt with the UEFI mess in the past I configured OpenSUSE LEAP 15.3 to legacy boot. I don't need the enhanced security in my environment and it simplifies booting to various devices. I prefer to leave the server configured as-is and not allow OpenSUSE to default to UEFI. Reconfiguring UEFI boot to legacy is a multi-step time consuming process.

So I am asking for advice or past experience with this upgrade: If I boot 15.3 using the UEFI option to complete the upgrade, will the end result be default Legacy boot or UEFI boot? ...or is there a workaround?

I am doing a routine OpenSUSE LEAP 15.3 to 15.4 system upgrade. At the end of the installation process - when it is ready to proceed - an error appears that 15.4 cannot install because the system was booted to Legacy bios. I have the option in 15.3 to boot UEFI but I am unsure of the resulting outcome and chose to abort the install.

Background: Having dealt with the UEFI mess in the past I configured OpenSUSE LEAP 15.3 to legacy boot. I don't need the enhanced security in my environment and it simplifies booting to various devices. I prefer to leave the server configured as-is and not allow OpenSUSE to default to UEFI. Reconfiguring UEFI boot to legacy is a multi-step time consuming process.

So I am asking for advice or past experience with this upgrade: If I boot 15.3 using the UEFI option to complete the upgrade, will the end result be default Legacy boot or UEFI boot? ...or is there a workaround?

@emilknez

Is there a reason you're quoting an old post without adding anything of value?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts