OpenSUSE OS cannot boot up

ChanAEM

Reaction score
Credits
Greetings everyone,

Hi everyone, and I am very new to Linux. I have a project which was needed urgently and therefore I steamrolled through the system without much basics. The things I want to do is simple, to be able to boot up my openSUSE OS (Currently using openSUSE, 13.2 Harlequin).

This is what I did so far,
Install the OS into the USB Stick > Plug onto the motherboard > Plug in Hard Disk onto the motherboard > Install openSUSE to HDD > Boot Up > Stuck

I might be new to Linux but I am no stranger in troubleshooting. Therefore, I simulate using different motherboard and OS version to find out the root cause, here are my findings:

1) Motherboard 1, Guardian
Using OpenSUSE 13.2 > Able to Boot
Using OpenSUSE 42.1 > Able to Boot
Using OpenSUSE 15.1 Leap> Able to Boot

2) Motherboard 2, Supermicro
Using OpenSUSE 13.2 > Not able to Boot
Using OpenSUSE 42.1 > Not able to Boot
Using OpenSUSE 15.1 Leap> Able to Boot

The problem is the motherboard is fundamentally the same, both have the same model which is MBD-X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F-O, one can run it and the other cannot.
Thankfully, I am still able to boot using safemode, however bootloader and many applications in YasT is not working.

Last thing that might be worth noting is that the BIOS version on Guardian is 1.2 while Supermicro is 2.0c.

Needlessly to say, changing the motherboard and the OS version is not an option, please can someone provide a solution?

The attached is the photo I took when the boot loops indefinitely on those same command lines.

Thank you very much! :)

Attachments

• OS Stuck.jpg
    OS Stuck.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 859

Is the BIOS set to Boot from the USB first, before the Hard Drive?

Hello Arochester, thank you for replying. Yes, USB was boot up first, that is for OS installation. After installation was done, I boot from hard disk first and removed my USB stick.

Hi,

15.1 Leap uses 4.12 kernel, 42.1 uses 4.1, 13.2 uses 3.6.
It looks simple : your BIOS is behaving strangely and you need a "recent" kernel to handle it.

Please provide a longer log so we can know what's behind this hang.

Hello JulienCC, thank you for your reply. Can I have guidance as to how to get a longer log? Is there a command to obtain the data? Thank you!

Members online

Latest posts