#opiran, the internet doomsday scenario, how to check what service is working? Live attempts to use Tor in the doomsday

Reaction score
Credits
Greetings. Right now I'm in Iran. I was busy at work and didn't follow what's going on. #opiran . #mahsaamini
There are reports of hacktivists shutdown the tyrant regime's website.
Instagram and whatsapp are blocked on all nets. Depending on the location, cell tower internet is down to stop the people from communicating with each other.
Telegram was blocked years before in another course of protests (2017 - first year of Trump admin. ) but could be accessed by solutions like VPN anyway making it still accessible for the fewer.
Most people (the smartphone people) think that whole "foreign IP internet is down"
Surprisingly VPN services are down, but I haven't tested different services. And I don't know how they identify traffic as VPN traffic? I just know that they had been attacking VPN providers in many ways in the recent years.
I wonder how to check different services in the quickest time. I will run more tests and complete this thread.
What VPN service they cannot stop?

some charlatans in the opposition are bluffing about making the "Satellite Internet" available to the masses. But this is not feasible since it requires special expensive hardware.
The true free internet is Deep Web.
Surprisingly Tor Browser is not working, I went to the settings. The bridge settings, (now I feel sorry for not preparing for this part) seems confusing in the current version.
I picked the obs4 type of bridge.
It didn't work.
I switched to Snowflake, it worked.

edit: anonymous hacker group has taken some actions. Some tyrant government's sites are out of reach :D

How to help others ?
I was wondering. If they break all connections to the outside, like the way they did in the massacre of 2019 how can we manage to run the P2P TOR network without connecting to the outside?

update: the built in bridge , "meek azure" took time to connect. it was advertised as "works in the beautiful China". I did not have luck with this mode before. Very very slow reconnect. it does not load anything.
Then I requested a bridge. I try to restart the browser. No success using the "requested bridge" option.
(to be continued)
Snowflake is working. Now I'm a little bit worried since this is the only option to work. I sense that it's a less desirable option in the aspect of security.
I ran : nmap 0.0.0.0 -p [ port number ] for both of the Tor proxy ports. the 9150 was closed but after connection it's opened.

Right now that I mask myself with Tor, I see that the regime's websites block visitors with foreign IPs and by using the normal browser, the sites work slow.

Last edited:

You should be able to use Tor to get around blocks. I came across this the other day, it's written in Iranian I think, maybe it will help you.

Last edited:
Thank you. I was busy and the internet block is new. Now I'm probing to see what's happening. And also reading the overwhelming news. Then I will test other options.

Are you Iranian or just there for work?

The first rule of ... is you don't ask (personal) questions.
Those two are hardly personal since it doesn't tell me anything about you. I've come across comments in Reddit posts where people from Iran share the city they are in and district they are in. I was only asking because I was just wanting to say I'm rooting for the Iranian people that they get their country and their freedom back, wishing them all the best!!

Last edited:
I just was joking. and your answer is yes. I post from "homeland". and I was about to create a post about it since the internet experience and challenging the filtering system by any means to reach wisdom and knowledge hardened a normal guy to what I am. Specially the experience of having to use VPN for Youtube and every time the "Captcha agent" opens the door and I have to prove him I'm "only human".

ok. Updates. I woke up, the tor connection got worse but still moment to moment. I was trying to help others, testing what messaging app works. So I fired up my Android smartphone and opened Google Play Store. It does not work. Playing around with settings, I just saw that there's an update available. but connection to google update servers are lost. Now I see the heavy toll of relying on a specific device. Apple phones will be tested next. ok. I Decided to change DNS on my android phone.
settings => Network & Internet => Advanced => Private DNS.
There r 3 options: off, Automatic (ON) , Private DNS privider hostname.
when I chose the 3rd option, I wrote " dsn.google" in the field and clicked saved. but it did not work. Apparantly there is no DNS change option really available on Android phone. Android phone has been letting me down for some time.

And here's an important question. When I change the DNS settings on linux by :

Code:
sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
it snaps back to normal after reboot. and it makes me confused whether it's put to action in the first place. How to check if it's working? (more tests soon)

Signal.org and apkpure.com are blocked as well. Now testing the tor bridge settings mentioned in the previous post if works with android. I doubt if I have any success. it's coming very slowly.

Last edited:
I just was joking. and your answer is yes. I post from "homeland". and I was about to create a post about it since the internet experience and challenging the filtering system by any means to reach wisdom and knowledge hardened a normal guy to what I am. Specially the experience of having to use VPN for Youtube and every time the "Captcha agent" opens the door and I have to prove him I'm "only human".
It's sometimes hard to differentiate between to to in posts with only text :) Looking at the posts I come across on reddit the whole rest of the world is with the people of Iran. I know Tor is slow, are you able to access a vpn provider such as ProtonVPN, that may be a more workable option for you?

Last edited:
It's sometimes hard to differentiate between to to in posts with only text :) Looking at the posts I come across on reddit the whole rest of the world is with the people of Iran. I know Tor is slow, are you able to access a vpn provider such as ProtonVPN, that may be a more workable option for you?
Please don't give me noob solution. Proton VPN's website is blocked and it's paid service. We don't have "payment connection" to the rest of the world similar to North Korea. all VPN provider websites are blocked and if u have not prepared it, it's not possible. U r saying tor is slow. No, Tor was performing very good since the recent incidents.

Oh holy dude. I downloaded APKpure app via tor browser (it's website is blocked.) github is also blocked. They have thought hard on how to block the internet...

Last edited:
No, Tor was performing very good since the recent incidents.
Last time I tried Tor it was quite slow, but that was more than 5 years ago. Might also be that I'm used to fast internet speeds.

I'd like to take a moment to remind people that politics is strictly off limits, without any exceptions.

So, let's keep it technical in nature.

Also, I checked and it's unfortunate that NordVPN doesn't let you generate passwords to share. You get five connections. Though, now that I think about it, you probably couldn't authenticate as the domain name to do so is likely blocked. Browsing through Tor is painfully slow, and proper OPSec means that many sites won't work well, or at all.

Satellite is likely one reliable solution, but it can be a cost, needs some basic infrastructure and technical savvy. Perhaps start with: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_Internet_access. I'm hoping you can access such pages, which may unfortunately be a forlorn hope in your case. Hopefully not.

Tor is like walking through treacle ... and as KGill mentioned, won't work on many websites which can be a significant limitation now.

Edit: I came across this:
, which describes some means of avoiding restrictions which could be of interest.

Last edited:
Greetings again. my bad. github works. but in the afternoon there was no mobile internet. So, there's only fixed internet. more update:
I had seen the application "Silence" , SMS only fork of Signal. it says that it encrypts messages but when I choose the encrypt option it does not work at all. it's useless. it's a beautiful app . and I can't find any proper documentation. As I looked the projects is kind of being updated.
Today an old guy said something like Lantern (android) works. I did not have much success with Lantern and it's probably in my reach right now. The dude sharing YT link : I can't watch it. YT is blocked in here well before the 2009 protests. If it's very serious and you need me have it, then share me as a file. but if that situation comes, I will ask you. thanks. The regime says internet is getting back to normal after protests stop.
They dream to cut us from the world the way North Korea does. And there had been a debate that what will happen. many people believed that they will do it. but those many people are not tech savvy.
I sense that the regime, kind of needs the internet for using and updating their services. For example you may have access to google search bc they need it themselves, or they need it themselves even more.
North Korea, I think is different. it has ties with China and self isolated themselves and the geopolitics and history allows that isolation.
For example, if the internet goes on like this, the demand for smartphones will decrease rapidly. Do u know how much tax money they lose over it?
Or ... if they continue to block the internet like this, ( as I think ) lots of problems will occur and lots of things will stop working.
Imagine the situation continues like this for a couple of years. (only in the field of internet and IT) , then it's the hackers' wet dream bc u r left with so many bugged and un-updated devices for a long time.

But they target what the average user may use. Considering the average Joe knowledge which they rely on Zuckerberg's Whatsapp and Instagram and have not looked beyond that, in the field of internet they are suffering hard right now.

Which website / services do u recommend for sharing large files ~0.5 GB ?
I need it to be security oriented and have special login page? I can use a web hosting service. but what else to consider?
If I decide to host a Tor relay server to help tor connectivity inside a country, should the server be outside or inside? or should I use them both?
Can "The Agents" track and attack tor relays ( in 2022 , current situation ) and then track me? or do u think they have their own shit to handle for a long time?

If you want to use a VPN service that may not be detected or tracked, among Cisco Openconnect, OpenVPN and WireGuard, which one do u prefer to try first?
The guy that says satellite internet solution... We are sanctioned. And the satellite internet is not a good option for a guy that earns 150$ ~ 500$ a month.
edit : hmm... VPN seems to work. My mom also made it to use Psiphon3 and is using instagram. but the situation may change. To now, I thought I would use my knowledge to get more prepared. more tests. need to rest.
Update :
"APT" package manager and flathub don't work. That "mental outlaw" is familiar. I know I have listened to him many times. but I don't remember his content :D thank you for the video. Please install " youtube-dl " from the Github page and run:

Code:
$ youtube-dl -f mp4 "url"
then share it on a free file sharing platform. Thank you very much. and that dude crying if u want to sit and have popcorn, go ask an Iranian guy why he's crying funny like that.
So, right now I can't install apps the regular way.
edit : I need Signal app apk + the youtube video shared by "osprey" hosted on a random free file sharing website.

Last edited:
Last time I tried Tor it was quite slow, but that was more than 5 years ago. Might also be that I'm used to fast internet speeds.
you can watch 480p youtube videos with minor stutter before "the captcha agent" and "you shall not pass agent" come and try to stop u.

update 10 october : With our prayers to those brave souls that sacrificed their life for their nation. Both our country and those brave people of Ukraine. in the past week psiphon 3 managed to connect on 4G in the afternoon at work and thus I managed to install Signal on the first occasion.
I also managed to connect to a cisco VPN yesterday and seized the opportunity to get some software.
I found that some MTProto proxy for telegram works. Good thing to learn. More tests will take place in the upcoming weeks.
edit: github doesn't work. never worked. It just didn't happen to try anything from github.

Last edited:
Proton VPN's website is blocked and it's paid service
Protonvpn has a free plan, although they are limited to USA, Netherland and Japan and little bit slow.
If the website is blocked, can't you use openvpn? I will try to create an account for you on protonvpn if you are not able to do that by yourself due to restrictions.

Which website / services do u recommend for sharing large files ~0.5 GB
I don't think you have many options in these days, so, any website that works for you would be best. Encrypt files before uploading.

Can "The Agents" track and attack tor relays
If you are running an exit node without any permission from your ISP, then yes.
should the server be outside or inside
outside would be better.
YT is blocked in here well before the 2009 protests.
Did you try Invidious or Piped? They are frontends for youtube run by generous volunteers.

thank u very much. for YT, I use YT downloader sites . I browse with tor-browser, then fetch the vid via downloader sites. not easy but did the job... the "mirror" or "proxy" sites work. but they are too slow and they only offer 720p. However I love the lightweight, bloatless, scriptless, autoplayless, adless build of the sites.
At work at an office I found out that "apt" and "flatpak" both are working. More tests will be done on different cell providers.
The MTProto proxies shared by online activists do not work well. However I see people using Telegram, and one of them said she's using MTProto. She was too tech-noob to know the name and pronounced MTProto as Pro !
I must mention that "Lantern" worked at last. I used Snap Store, though I do not like it, to install any messenger, app , ... before "the darkness" comes.
"Wire Messenger" the alternative to "telegram" sends the error and says something like : it cannot connect to internet, or right now I'm testing it, it takes forever to connect. I remember that it used to work a few years ago and the connection problem could be due to the blocking. The app options and preferences are inaccessible.
on home internet:

Code:
$ ping wire.com

no answer. which means it's blocked. on 4G there is ping but account.wire.com does not load. This is weird. I haven't seen anyone know about "Wire Messenger" over here. But I see signs of blocking.

It's hard to keep up with what is going on. I must go to work and I'm a little too under-equipped and timeless to be able to test things there. However this will change. When these things happen, some streets or bazaars become unsafe. So everyone closes down or closes sooner before dark. Unsafe from military forces. They tend to teargas the markets and bazaars and some times attack shops and parked motorcycles or cars with batons. So I must do my job when I can and this has made me more busy.

When I checked, and it was after a few years, I also had checked a few months ago, there are many good VPS providers that accept crypto. but when the site refers me to "coingate" or any goddamn payment medium, they have "blacklisted" Iran's IP.
Yes. Many services don't work. many services stopped working and blocked by the government and there are also some that block us due to the sanctions. What does it mean? It means that our government has abused the international law to an extend that I cannot access some very important software without a goddamn VPN. One of them is docker. I'm not a sourceforge fan but that site downloads does not work if I don't change my IP.

The tests are yet to be done.

Last edited:
... And I get grumpy when my 'net goes down for a half hour.

I have no suggestions, but I wish you the best of luck.

Staff online