OS failed to load / execute - even after fsck

Status
Not open for further replies.

anneranch

Reaction score
Credits
system error recommends to run fsck manually, and it still fails .
Running / choosing "advanced options " still fails.
It looks as "USB" problem...
This is a single USB HDD with several OS partitions and the one I need fails - obviously.
I'll be actually happy to retrieve ONE folder, I do not need the OS to run.

Do I have other options to recover "JUST the folder " ?

If you have a linux distribution on your computer you could try booting the computer when you get the desk top insert the usb and wait , it should be recognised and an icon appear on the desktop right click to open, and it should list all that is on the pendrive, if you recognise the folder with the info you want you should be able to drag it to the desktop and open it from there,
of course this wont work if its a windows os on your computer as windows cannot read linux file systems

Bwiz

another way if you know the name of the file or what the extension is [jpe, .doc ffmpeg etc]
put the pendrive in the computer wait till it is recognised, then right click to open, along the top in ubuntu you click on go, and the last option is search, put the name of the file or the extention type in the search box and enter

You can use Disks to check and repair your file system - just highlight the section that is giving you problems click the gear icon
and select "Check Filesystem" if errors are found then click "Repair Filesystem"

1.png

You can use Disks to check and repair your file system - just highlight the section that is giving you problems click the gear icon
and select "Check Filesystem" if errors are found then click "Repair Filesystem"

View attachment 11076
Run Check file system - no errors
Run Repair filesystem
Set "mount on boot"
All is well

Thanks very much for solving the problem.

Follow-up FOR educational purpose

I have another failing Linux OS partition.
The error DOES state "failed to enumerate USB..."
I have two "USB ports" in use and they now work when previously successfully fixed ( per above ) on ANOTHER OS partition - dev/sda22
BUT my guess is - USB enumeration (on dev/sda22) always worked anyway.

I have applied same Disks process on this , new failing partiton dev/sda2 , and it will not run.
This dev/sda2 partition can be deleted - it is not important.

However, I like to get answers to the following :
1. How Disks passing the test ON SAME USB setup still fails?
2. Is there a log I can look FROM working OS partition to FAILING OS partition?
3. running update-grub "finds" the UNMOUNTED and failing OS partition .
4. update-grub FINDS windows partition I really do not need , but Disks does not show it -
does in means going back to CLI to delete it ? (YES/NO)

Side note
temporary removing ALL disks, with exception of ONE , and rerunning "update-grub"
"SOLVED" the problem of grub NOT rebooting to last successfully used OS.
As an added BENEFIT - I can also run grub memory tests...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts