OSS - Lynxone Problems

maraven2001

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I recently decided to use some parts I had to put together a music/multimedia server. Parts are:

Gigabyte z77x-udh5
i3-3550k
8Gb Ram
Nvidia GT710
2 ssds one for OS, other for flac files,
Lynxone

The setup works very well except that I can't get OSS installed to make the audio card (Lynxone) to work. I have tried in Manjaro, Ubuntu and now Ubuntu Studio.

I have installed OSS using Opensound guides. considering it did not work I tried by removing alsa and installing OSS, then removing alsa and pulseaudio and installing OSS, and all combinations.

Nothing has worked so far.

When I install OSS from the Opensound download, it generally goes through the process of installing, will create all components, will recognize the audio devices when done (including the LynxOne), but then it does not work, running osstest or soundon etc. will lead to broken links. No mixer apparently, and have not been able to patch or find how to fix the fact that some parts are apparently missing.

For Manjaro I also tried installing it from the AUR git clone link, and it breaks at some point saying HUNK not found or something similar when patching.

Could someone please walk me through the process or point out something that is missing in what I'm doing ?? Any suggestions are welcome.

I know it's an old card, but it has great sound, had, and really would like to get it going.

Thanks

Manuel

Ubuntu or any of it's derivatives does not support OSS LynxOne by 4Front you will have to use an Arch based OS
Have a look here

However
In the Synaptic Package Manager you can search for alsa-oss and alsaplayer-oss and install them

This package contains a program loader, aoss, which wraps applications written for OSS in a compatibility library, thus allowing them to work with ALSA.

There are two ways of getting an application to work with ALSA if the application was written for OSS. The first way is to load the special ALSA drivers that emulate the OSS kernel interface; these allow the application to open /dev/dsp0 and other OSS device files. The second way is to wrap the application in the libaoss library provided in the alsa-oss package; the wrapper causes the application to access native ALSA device files such as /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c instead of OSS device files.

Use of the alsa-oss library is recommended over the use of OSS-emulation drivers if you want to use ALSA's PCM plugin layer.
ALSA is the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture.
OSS is the free version of the Open Sound System.

Ubuntu or any of it's derivatives does not support OSS LynxOne by 4Front you will have to use an Arch based OS Have a look here However In the Synaptic Package Manager you can search for alsa-oss and alsaplayer-oss and install them This package contains a program loader, aoss, which wraps applications written for OSS in a compatibility library, thus allowing them to work with ALSA. There are two ways of getting an application to work with ALSA if the application was written for OSS. The first way is to load the special ALSA drivers that emulate the OSS kernel interface; these allow the application to open /dev/dsp0 and other OSS device files. The second way is to wrap the application in the libaoss library provided in the alsa-oss package; the wrapper causes the application to access native ALSA device files such as /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c instead of OSS device files. Use of the alsa-oss library is recommended over the use of OSS-emulation drivers if you want to use ALSA's PCM plugin layer. ALSA is the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. OSS is the free version of the Open Sound System.

Hi, thanks for the detailed explanation, I will attempt to get it up and running this weekend. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but it's been pretty hectic !!!

Thanks again. Will let you know how it goes.

manuel

Members online