Out of the frying pan into the Fire with LAN cards.(SOLVED)

Can't remember where .tar came from, but people usually call them tarballs.
the Goog says it represented tape archive.

The .gz represents gzip.
Basically a compression program.

Chaz

Yep... good ole tape archives. Back in the days when we backed up to tape.
Still used in some data centers even today. Nobody archives to tape anymore
but we can still archive to disk.

Can't remember where .tar came from, but people usually call them tarballs.
the Goog says it represented tape archive.

The .gz represents gzip.
Basically a compression program.

Chaz
Thanks appreciated.

can't stop, got tea to cook and out for the night, but on

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Do I type in uname or something else?

I am currently on Elementary OS 5.0 Juno, and

Code:
chris@elementaryOS-Juno:~$ uname -r

# (comment) gives

4.15.0-62-generic
chris@elementaryOS-Juno:~$

... so for "uname -r" I would substitute

4.15.0-62-generic

HTH

Wiz, nite all

Edited - typo, Elementary version 4 to 5

Last edited:
I know this is a slight divergence but it is to allow me to get better acquainted with using terminal.
Since Linux is new to me and when something is new I tend to be slightly apprehensive when I do things, so I will before tackling the driver install I will install AOO on my machine to boost my confidence and get a bit more acquainted with the commands on the terminal.
I know that I will have to untar the file first
What commands follow after doing that?
@wizardfromoz Thanks for that written it down in my little book where I write down commands and what their function is, for reference later.

Well I finally untarred the file and installed the r8168 driver but still no joy with it.
Just wondering whether the mac address has anything to do with it.
It dinna help when you have no feedback when you are logging on to the ISP. As with my ISP when you fail connecting you get a notice of why you failed to connect onto their server.
Do the OS's you run on your plastic brain box change the mac address?

I just sent a message to my ISP to see whether it is because I am using Linux or what the problem is.

Last edited:
Geez, that's no good, Ken, and my humble apologies, your Post at #25 slipped beneath my radar, only just read it now :oops:

Wifi and Networking is one of my weak points ("He's got a million of them!" chant the hecklers, Wizard turns them into toads), but I'll scout around tomorrow morning to see if I find anything useful - Monday mornings Elaine is at Art, so requires less care (I am her Carer).

Also, have we covered that you need to totally uninstall LIbre Office before you install AOO?

Code:
sudo apt-get purge libreoffice

Gotta go soon, having roast chook and veggies for tea, and have lumpy gravy to make.

Cheers

Wiz

Thanks Wiz
I contacted my ISP provider and he don't have a clue I think he thinks that I haven't done any thing about my predicament and talked to the Linux community as he told the missus for me to look up Mint on the web.
I am leaving the Libre office on at the moment till I sort out this internet kerfull I have a spare HD that I am thinking of putting a another Linux distro on. Had a look at Ubuntu but not overly struck on the Gnome desktop. Thinking of Debian but I dunna about it. Any suggestions. I am not distro hopping happy with Mint just organising future needs and ways of doing things.
Any way gotta go going up to the village to do a few things up there back on the morrow.

Had a look at Ubuntu but not overly struck on the Gnome desktop.

I'm with you there. Most of the larger distro's have "spins" with different desktop flavors.
For example Ubunto has xubuntu, lubuntu, kubuntu, ubuntu-mate and a few others.
You just download whichever flavor desktop you like.

In the fedora world, it used to be similar, there was a Mate version, a gnome version, a KDE
version and so forth, but recently it seems you just download the "workstation" edition
(it comes with Gnome by default) but you can install any desktop you want on it.
Some people even run 3 or 4 desktops and switch between them.

Thinking of Debian but I dunna about it.
I love Debian, but it is often not very friendly. Their standard edition does NOT include proprietary drivers, and that can be a nightmare. They do have an alternate build that includes the non-free stuff... here's the link to the latest .iso's. [Edit: added link]

I just mentioned in another thread that a little distro-hopping might be a good thing for you. Fedora also makes a great distro, and there are still different "spins" available for it as well. So with Fedora or Ubuntu you are not stuck with the Gnome desktop. (I'm not a fan of the modern Gnome either.)

If you've started learning terminal commands in Mint, you'll have to learn some new things in the Fedora line though... mostly regarding installing software from the terminal. But it would be well worth it if it solves your internet problem.

Last edited:
I was running system monitor while trying to connect to the net as I moved the internet cable from the switch to the computer and in the network box there was just a flat blue line running no sign of a red line at all.
Found out that by connecting it directly to the computer I now get 1Gbps connection. both in win 7 and Mint.
Off to Kremenchyk tomorrow to pick up a NIC and few other bits and pieces to tidy up the front end of the box. I will have Saturday to put Goldie on the operating table as the missus is at work and out of my hair ;) :)

Well I picked up an Edimax Gigabit Ethernet PCI express adapter and it say on the box and in the installation CD that it is compatible with Linux 2.4 and 2.4.x. the CD contains the drivers which I have copied to a folder in my Home directory.
So tomorrow for me Goldie goes on the operating table and have the card inserted.
So hopefully I will be on-line via Mint and not Win 7.

I forgot to mention that one of the drivers is r8168.034. whilst the one I loaded the other day is r8168.046.
the other one is r1000.xx just of hand cannot access the note with that I created so that I don't put the wrong driver in place.

I decided to install the driver first and lucky I did for when I was installing it from autorun.sh I was reading it and it was full of errors as I was reloading the original driver that I installed I noticed that there were lines saying it was tainting the kernel.
this text is basically from the driver CD for the unit.
Ah well that's 16 kangaroos down the gurgler . :mad:
Will keep on plugging at it!
One thing I have noticed that Realtek is mostly on El cheapo and mid range boards while intel is on Mid range and high end boards. .

<Linux device driver for Realtek Ethernet controllers>

{this is for Linux kernel 2.4.x}

[I tried to install it but it was full of errors as my kernel is 4.15.xx and so r81868-8.032.00 wasn't loaded
had to reinstall r8168-8.046.00 and it was successfully reinstalled]

( this is my present state of NIC
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASRock
driver: r8168 v: 8.046.00-NAPI port:
c000 bus ID: 04:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168
IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the Linux device driver released for RealTek RTL8168B/8111B, RTL8168C/8111C,
RTL8168CP/8111CP, RTL8168D/8111D, RTL8168DP/8111DP, and RTL8168E/8111E Gigabit Ethernet controllers with PCI-Express interface.

<Requirements>

- Kernel source tree (supported Linux kernel 2.6.x and 2.4.x)
- For linux kernel 2.4.x, this driver supports 2.4.20 and latter.

- Compiler/binutils for kernel compilation

<Quick install with proper kernel settings>

Unpack the tarball :
# tar vjxf r8168-8.aaa.bb.tar.bz2

Change to the directory:
# cd r8168-8.aaa.bb

If you are running the target kernel, then you should be able to do :

# ./autorun.sh (as root or with sudo)

You can check whether the driver is loaded by using following commands.

# lsmod | grep r8168

................................................................... # ifconfig -a

If there is a device name, ethX, shown on the monitor, the linux
driver is loaded.
Then, you can use the following command to activate
the ethX.

# ifconfig ethX up

................................................................ ,where X=0,1,2,...

<Set the network related information>

1. Set manually
a. Set the IP address of your machine.

# ifconfig ethX "the IP address of your machine"

b. Set the IP address of DNS.

Insert the following configuration in /etc/resolv.conf.

nameserver "the IP address of DNS"

c. Set the IP address of gateway.

# route add default gw "the IP address of gateway"

2. Set by doing configurations in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
/ifcfg-ethX for Redhat and Fedora, or /etc/sysconfig/network
/ifcfg-ethX for SuSE.
There are two examples to set network
configurations.

a. Fixed IP address:
DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=static

ONBOOT=yes

TYPE=ethernet

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

IPADDR=192.168.1.1

GATEWAY=192.168.1.254

BROADCAST=192.168.1.255

b. DHCP:

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

ONBOOT=yes

<Modify the MAC address>
There are two ways to modify the MAC address of the NIC.

1. Use ifconfig:

# ifconfig ethX hw
ether YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY

,where X is the device number assigned by Linux kernel,
and
YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY is the MAC address assigned by the user.

2. Use ip:

# ip link set ethX address YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY

,where X is the device number assigned by Linux kernel,
and
YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY is the MAC address assigned by the user.

<Force Link Status>

1. Force the link status when insert the driver.

If the user is in the path ~/r8168, the link status can be forced
to one of the 5 modes as following command.

# insmod ./src/r8168.ko speed=SPEED_MODE duplex=DUPLEX_MODE autoneg=NWAY_OPTION

where
SPEED_MODE = 1000 for 1000Mbps

= 100 for 100Mbps

= 10 for 10Mbps

DUPLEX_MODE = 0 for half-duplex
= 1 for full-duplex

NWAY_OPTION = 0
for auto-negotiation off (true force)
= 1 for auto-negotiation on (nway force)

For example:

# insmod ./src/r8168.ko speed=100 duplex=0 autoneg=1

will force PHY to operate in 100Mpbs Half-duplex(nway force).

2. Force the link status by using ethtool.

a. Insert the driver first.

b. Make sure that ethtool exists in /sbin.

c. Force the link status as the following command.

# ethtool -s ethX speed SPEED_MODE duplex DUPLEX_MODE autoneg NWAY_OPTION

,where
SPEED_MODE = 1000 for 1000Mbps
= 100 for 100Mbps
= 10 for 10Mbps

DUPLEX_MODE = half for half-duplex

= full for full-duplex

NWAY_OPTION = off for auto-negotiation off (true force)

= on for auto-negotiation on (nway force)

For example:

# ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg on

will force PHY to operate in 100Mpbs Full-duplex(nway force).

<Jumbo Frame>

Transmitting Jumbo Frames, whose packet size is bigger than 1500 bytes, please change mtu by the following command.

# ifconfig ethX mtu MTU

, where X=0,1,2,..., and MTU is configured by user.

RTL8168B/8111B supports Jumbo Frame size up to 4 kBytes.

RTL8168C/8111C and RTL8168CP/8111CP support Jumbo Frame size up to 6 kBytes.

RTL8168D/8111D supports Jumbo Frame size up to 9 kBytes.

Just downloaded the genuine driver from this site
On this page lists the drivers with the release dates
Installed it but still no dice.
What is the command to get a device turned on and working?
also in the man page for ethtool it says devname which I take as being the device name.
Is the device name enpXXX , eth0,1 , 2...........: or is it ethernet or what :confused::confused:, I am baffled to say the least, as when I do something in terminal sometimes it also comes up deb name.
Deb name as I understand it to be is the Debian name for something.

In Post #31 above:
Found out that by connecting it directly to the computer I now get 1Gbps connection. both in win 7 and Mint.
Holy-smokes! Making Ethernet work in Linux should not be this hard. You RARELY need to fiddle with Ethernet drivers in Linux... RARELY, seriously. Wireless maybe, a little more often, but not Ethernet. And you are having problems with both an onboard LAN, and now a new PCI card too? This just isn't right.

Also in Post #31, you said you "removed the cable from a switch" (bypassing the switch).... and that's when it started working correctly. So, that was the original onboard LAN adapter that was working, right? Have you again tried to bypass the switch with this new adapter? Perhaps the switch itself is the problem?

Scratching my head....

Cheers

In Post #31 above:

Holy-smokes! Making Ethernet work in Linux should not be this hard. You RARELY need to fiddle with Ethernet drivers in Linux... RARELY, seriously. Wireless maybe, a little more often, but not Ethernet. And you are having problems with both an onboard LAN, and now a new PCI card too? This just isn't right.

Also in Post #31, you said you "removed the cable from a switch" (bypassing the switch).... and that's when it started working correctly. So, that was the original onboard LAN adapter that was working, right? Have you again tried to bypass the switch with this new adapter? Perhaps the switch itself is the problem?

Scratching my head....

Cheers
I did not install the new ethernet card as the driver could not be even installed at all. The newer version I downloaded to-day installed no probs. But still no dice. It was released in August this year.
No! The switch works fine but I have a funny suspicion because MS thinks that the OS I am running is not genuine and because I cannot be bothered with activating they have been slowly degrading things and putting in critical updates without my knowledge to do that.
As there were times when I using my laptop with an OEM license for win 7 I got 1Gbps occasionally but I think that at the time the ISP's servers were lightly loaded and then that was over 5 years or more ago.
While writing this and looking at the box for the new card what I might do is install it and see if Minty picks it up.
What gets me is the UEFI runs on MS DOS 8 and even it cannot connect to the net which it should be able to do as it has flash internet to upgrade the firmware when you click on it. Now Linux is also a non MS software and cannot connect to the net either. Mayhap the adaptor is specifically set-up internally for windows only??
So I will install the new card on Wodin's day as I need to be elsewhere Monday Tuesday.
Ah well! If there is one thing good that is coming out of this hassle is that I am learning to use the terminal and its commands. :)

While writing this and looking at the box for the new card what I might do is install it and see if Minty picks it up.
I will hope that it will work, right out of the box. Linux speaks Ethernet better than I speak English. Okay, maybe my English isn't great sometimes, but it's my only fluent language! Maybe the trouble is that it is U.S. English? :eek:o_O:D

With a working Ethernet, you should be able to then configure your UEFI to get its updates.

Cheers

Mayhap the adaptor is specifically set-up internally for windows only??
Please don't take me / this the wrong way.

In five years of using different Linux distros on new and old desktops have never had a wired Ethernet card not work on Linux at time of install.

I can go to my spare parts junk box and pull out a half dozen wired Ethernet cards and stab each one in to any Linux box I'm running and it will be found and connect without problems.

I say this is really strange that you're having so many issues with a wired Ethernet card.

I've had problems with sound cards on Linux and Windows.
I've had graphic card problems on Linux and Windows.
I've had wireless adapter card problems on Linux.

atanere I agree
Scratching my head.... :confused::confused:

Instead of trying to load drivers for the Ethernet card just install it and power it up and see if Linux finds it.

Most every available hardware driver is included in the Linux Kernel.

Members online

Latest posts