Package Installation Error When Updating

Robieie

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

Thank you in advance for the help. I am receiving an error when I attempt to run an update via Discover. The text reads as follows: (I have included a screenshot as well.)

Package failed to install Error while installing package: cannot copy extracted data for './boot/vmlinuz-5.15.11-76051511-generic' to '/bootvmlinuz-5.15.11-76051511-generic.dpkg-new'

I am just wondering how to troubleshoot this so I can update all items that need updates via Discover. Thank you again for any help related to this. Please let me know if there is any more information I could give to aid in troubleshooting.

Attachments

• Error.png
    Error.png
    14 KB · Views: 176

Hello Robieie,
Welcome to the Linux.org forums.
One thing we should know before advising you is which Distribution you are trying to update?

seems like that error message is incomplete generally there is something like "failed to write (No space left on device)" or "unexpected end of file or stream" after generic.dpkg-new
Discover is on KDE I believe, but do not use it myself - I just update through the terminal

Hello Robieie,
Welcome to the Linux.org forums.
One thing we should know before advising you is which Distribution you are trying to update?
When I run cat /proc/version it indicates Ubuntu 9.3.0-17ubutu1~20.04

I believe KDE Plasma is the specific name. I am pretty new though so I may be mixing stuff up. Thank you for the reply.

seems like that error message is incomplete generally there is something like "failed to write (No space left on device)" or "unexpected end of file or stream" after generic.dpkg-new
Discover is on KDE I believe, but do not use it myself - I just update through the terminal
Do you think updating through the terminal would solve an error like this? I could give that a shot.

you must be using Kubuntu. I would do this in a terminal and then try the update
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
Then:
Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
List any error messages you get.

Looks like I got two errors when running the first command:

No space left on device
I checked my hard drive and it looks like it is 54% used space at the moment

and

error processing package

Here is the information from the terminal:

Code:
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu6.6) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-7614-generic
cryptsetup: WARNING: Resume target cryptswap uses a key file
cat: write error: No space left on device
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-7614-generic with 1.
dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
 installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 initramfs-tools

You are probably running Kubuntu - where did you download the kernel from? 5.15.11 is not in the repository for 20.04 Focal Fossa - there is a dependency problem with libc6 with later kernels 20.04 has version 2.31 but 2.33 is required for kernels later then 5.13 - if you want to install a later kernel for 20.04 you will have to use TuxInvaders Kernels https://launchpad.net/~tuxinvader/+archive/ubuntu/lts-mainline

also what is the output of
Code:
inxi -Fxz
You can also try running
Code:
sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt clean

Last edited by a moderator:
You are probably running Kubuntu - where did you download the kernel from? 5.15.11 is not in the repository for 20.04 Focal Fossa - there is a dependency problem with libc6 with later kernels 20.04 has version 2.31 but 2.33 is required for kernels later then 5.13 - if you want to install a later kernel for 20.04 you will have to use TuxInvaders Kernels https://launchpad.net/~tuxinvader/+archive/ubuntu/lts-mainline

also what is the output of
Code:
inxi -Fxz
I'm not sure where the kernel was downloaded from. I bought this PC from my relative and am trying to figure out how to use it.

There was a lot of info from that command. It looks like the kernel is 5.11.0 and the Distro is Pop!_OS 20.04 with the Base being Ubuntu 20.04. Here it is as the output for the system information below: (let me know if the other info from the output would be helpful too)

Code:
System:    Kernel: 5.11.0-7614-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.18.5 Distro: Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS
           base: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal

What you have here is a hybrid install PopOS. Pop did not originally come with a KDE desktop. So who ever did the install, installed the desktop as an after thought. If it were me I think I would install a more traditional Distro/desktop setup.
If you really like KDE then I would try PCLinuxOS, MX-Linux-KDE, Kubuntu, KDE-Neon. If your not particular to KDE then Mint (Cinnamon) Just my opinion.

I bought this PC from my relative and am trying to figure out how to use it.
If it were me I would wipe the drive and start over and grab a copy of Kubuntu if that is version you want to use, I always use the LTS version of any flavor of Ubuntu and not the interim version their shelf life is only about 10 months here is lists of the Ubuntu Flavors
Ubuntu-Gnome desktop, Kubuntu-KDE Plasma desktop, Xubuntu-Xfce desktop, Lubuntu-LXQt desktop, Ubuntu Budgie- Budgie desktop and Ubuntu Mate-Mate desktop

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I also recommend you cut yourself loose and install a beginner-friendly distribution, I won't offer any suggestions without seeing the specification of the laptop [the full inxi Fnxz report]

Actually, I am interested.

Pop_OS is on my list for tomorrow to run updates and run a Timeshift snapshot.

I might run them, then slip on a KDE Desktop.

Welcome to linux.org @Robieie

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Actually, I am interested.

Pop_OS is on my list for tomorrow to run updates and run a Timeshift snapshot.

I might run them, then slip on a KDE Desktop.

Welcome to linux.org @Robieie

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Let us know how it goes Chris.

Thank you everyone for the welcomes and for all of the information.

I ended up doing a fresh install of Ubuntu-Gnome. The Pop_OS/KDE Desktop combo seemed pretty sweet, only problem was the hindering of updates that was going on. Made some programs buggy, but the Ubuntu setup is fine for what I will use the PC for.

Thanks again!

I ended up doing a fresh install of Ubuntu-Gnome.

Thanks for letting us know, I am just completing updates and upgrades on Pop, so I'll hold off on installing a different DE. :)

You can install Timeshift from your Software Centre - if you have questions on how best to set it up for your situation, ask me over at my Thread that @brickwizard linked to.

Cheers

Chris

Yup Discover is indeed on KDE. I have it on Kubuntu 20.04.

Members online