Parasitic computer industry

Just like in general economics in the current times of garbage and one time use things, there is a need for alternative system; so i thought of linux as of communists in computer world. Unfortunately they are not. Why the hell they cannot support old versions for indefinite time as long as equipment on which they were installed exist? I mean support without stupid security, just functional web browser and basic apps like skype. Because If in order to use web you need to switch to a new version - it is impossible, everything goes to hell.

In communism, everything belongs to the government. Even your computer and OS.
..and you only get to browse or use what they approve of you to use.

Applications have very little to do with the operating system.
Chrome, Firefox, Chromium, Opera, lynx, Epiphany... these will run on almost almost OS
BSD, Windows... and Linux.

Zoom, Skype, Slack, Teams, pidgin, ... again these will run on virtually any OS.

It's not the OS's fault whether they continue support, charge fees, or decide not to support
that OS anymore.
Don't blame the OS. Blame the application(s).

Don't blame the OS. Blame the application(s).
I understand communism as equal exchange of things at their real cost and production of things for use without profit, for example you buy one laptop and use it 100 years, only changing spare parts, with one os. Then manufacturers of these essential apps should add basic support for infinite time for windows and linux old versions. Today i cannot use laptop even 10 years; they are produced to be used 1-2 years.

Last edited:
I understand communism as equal exchange of things at their real cost and production of things for use without profit,

I know of no communist country where it happens that way. The government always makes a profit.
(true in Capitalism also - taxes).
Today i cannot use laptop even 10 years; they are produced to be used 1-2 years.

I have to agree with you on this one. My oldest computer right now is about 7 years old.
But some have not lasted even 3 years. But that has nothing to do with Linux.

I have Dell laptops and Acers that are 10 years old and run Linux and Windows 10 without problems.

Laptops are hit and miss based on my experience which is why I don't use them the Wife and kids are the laptop users.

Most laptops that pass accross my bench I remove the hard drives and memory and then out to the farm they go and become targets for the 45 auto.

Hello Sean,

Could we have the specs of your laptop - that would be helpful. In fact anybody wanting help for their machine please give us those details eg. HP Pavillion dv6000 at the start, instead of my machine is having trouble with ____________ operating system or program or what can I run on this.

i know its 32 because 64 ubuntu did not install on it.
i have two laptops one 32 acer extensa 2009, another 64 lenovo g580 2014, they are both old and unusable today.
I'll look online and try to find the specs on your 2 pc's.
Depending on how much RAM they have you should be able to install 'MX Linux' or 'Anti-x' and get your pc's (or at the very least 1 of them) working.

Looking at the specs of your Lenovo g580; that machine has a 2.2 GHz Intel Pentium B960 processor and 2GB DDR3 of RAM.

MX Linux requires 512 MB of RAM and needs a Intel or AMD CPU which you have.

Like I said before, give MX Linux a try.:)
If you don't like that try Anti-x.

I couldn't find your Acer of 2009 because I don't know the exact model #.

Most normal users replace their laptops every so many years as most require batteries and the keyboards are starting to become flaky.
Yes, and then tons of computer garbage go to Africa... I dont like the garbage economy... I want to find the real thing in the sea of garbage...
First machine acer extensa 5220 32bit.
These people are doing phenominal work, having created a working browser MYpal for xp and updating it; i dont know how long they will be doing it, if they continue i can use xp on both machines. But i cannot make viber work on xp.
If i take old linux distro, say ubuntu 12.04, i cannot make a modern browser + viber (skype) work on it?

Last edited:
Yes, and then tons of computer garbage go to Africa... I dont like the garbage economy... I want to find the real thing in the sea of garbage...
First machine acer extensa 5220 32bit.
These people are doing phenominal work, having created a working browser MYpal for xp and updating it; i dont know how long they will be doing it, if they continue i can use xp on both machines. But i cannot make viber work on xp.
If i take old linux distro, say ubuntu 12.04, i cannot make a modern browser + viber (skype) work on it?
Your Acer Extensa 5220 has a celeron CPU.
Having said that MX Linux will not work on your Acer but should work on your Lenovo g580.

Anti-x needs 1 GB of RAM.

No, you can not install Ubuntu 12.04 and try to make a modern browser or skype work because Ubuntu 12.04 is no longer supported as of April of 2017.

i dont know what is wrong with this mypal browser... it eats so much traffic! one login to a site 7 mb! in 3 days ive used up 9 of 10 gb of my traffic. why everything is so f*cked up???

i dont know what is wrong with this mypal browser... it eats so much traffic! one login to a site 7 mb! in 3 days ive used up 9 of 10 gb of my traffic. why everything is so f*cked up???
Windows XP support ended on April 8, 2014.

Furthermore, mypal is based on the pale moon browser which if used on Windows XP is most likely unstable and probably has malware, viruses and vulnerabilities.

It would not be wise to continue to run Windows XP because of the vulnerabilities.

i understand. you press stop but at the bottom it continues to load the shit, eating up traffic.

It would not be wise to continue to run Windows XP because of the vulnerabilities.
ok, giving a try antix. but i dont like the idea of reinstalling os every year.
what are vulnerabilities? if i see malware i can delete it. all my data is on external drives. i think they just need to make a working browser for xp with support for web.skype, google and that would solve the problem.

Last edited:
ok, giving a try antix. but i dont like the idea of reinstalling os every year.
what are vulnerabilities? if i see malware i can delete it. all my data is on external drives. i think they just need to make a working browser for xp with support for web.skype, google and that would solve the problem.
A vulnerability is a weakness which can be exploited by a threat actor, such as an attacker, to perform unauthorized actions within a computer system.
Any operating system that is no longer supported that gets taken online is already in a vulnerable state and easy for an attacker to perform attacks.

I don't think that developers would create a browser for an operating system that is no longer supported.

A vulnerability is a weakness which can be exploited by a threat actor, such as an attacker, to perform unauthorized actions within a computer system.
Any operating system that is no longer supported that gets taken online is already in a vulnerable state and easy for an attacker to perform attacks.

I don't think that developers would create a browser for an operating system that is no longer supported.
How tired i am of this security shit. There is nothing to steal from me. There should be non profit developers to create browser for xp and old versions of ubuntu.

I have a phone with android 2 and somehow viber and browser are still working, but they should stop working soon too! If with computers in theory it is possible to replace system with a current one for old devices like linux antic, with smartphones nothing can be done. I dont want to touch upon capitalism and general parasitism of the world economy, jobs and where people get money because it is not topic of this forum, but many people especially in 3d world countries can only afford to buy computer, phone once in a lifetime; and they should throw it away only because of the system! It is a total nonsense. It is like throwing a new car only because they demand another color of interior. Manufacturers should ensure basic functionality of os with which device came for indefinite time. Or volunteer programmers should help with that. Am i the only person in the world dissatisfied with the situation?

Today i cannot use laptop even 10 years;
Funny that I acquired my HP Laptop back in 2010 or there abouts and it is still up and running, no sweat.

There is constant growth of operating systems and software.

Progress requires ever more evolved hardware. Maintaining OS' to support such becomes pretty hairy after a while if a given OS has to support new h/w, old h/w, old s/w, etc. and so on.

Apple are "lead breakers" in this. A few years ago they stopped 32 bit support on iOS releases, and in the current Mac OS, they dropped 32 bit app support as well. That means many apps going back to 2005 (or even 2000) have been dropped if their developer didn't move them to 64 bit.

Outrageous! No. Not really. Maintaining an OS that supports both means more code. More code loaded. More code to maintain. More code to test. etc. and so. So prune away and make the entire system more efficient: OS maintenance/testing, s/w maintenance/testing, h/w development free'd from dying conventions, etc.

This does result in some s/w abandonment if it is not maintained. (Why my work Macs will remain on 10.14 for the time being - there are some 32 bit apps that we require and we'll take our time replacing them).

The Mac I'm writing this on is 2012 and works fine and fast. But I do have the update itch... I'd like a much better GPU for video work.

Oddly, I have a couple apps from the 90's that I'm fond of that I run under WinXP in a virtual machine under VMWare Fusion on my Mac - and at work we run our accounting s/w under Win7 (also on Macs under VMWare Fusion). That's perhaps the sort of compromise you should look into.

so i thought of linux as of communists in computer world.

Linux was never designed as the communism of the computer world. That is just silly. The massive world of widgets and servers and database systems on Linux far outnumber desktop Linux users. That's capitalism. And capitalism always depends on "the next better thing that replaces the old thing".

Communism fails at that consistently. (China is very capitalist in the robber baron mold).

Members online