Partition flag?

db75oh

Reaction score
Credits
I'm another person who has dabbled in Linux for many years and disgusted with Windows 10 so Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is now my primary OS (I miss Mandrake/Mandriva).

Anyway I'm wondering what to set in GParted as the flag for my main data drive (3TB with videos, docs, etc). LVM? Does it matter much? I don't want to make the wrong choice and find later that I'd have to repartition. Also, GParted shows the filesystem for that drive as ntfs. What to reformat it to?

Also,

- I've changed partition names to C, D, E etc to mirror a Windows drive naming convention. Is there a way I can further tweak things to have a more 'friendly' view when moving files rather than /dev/sdb1 etc
- How do I get KDE to stop requiring a password after being idle?
- How to change from KDE back to the vanilla Ubuntu interface (or to GNOME if I install it) - that is, from one GUI to another.

Thanks for any replies.

Hey there - welcome to the forum :)

For your partition question, you can mount them however you'd like.. for instance, some would mount /dev/sdb1 to /data .. in your case, create an empty directory named /D and mount the filesystem there. As for type, it depends on which filesystem you want to use - in Linux, a good general filesystem is ext4.. so you'd first create the partition with gparted, then use mkfs.ext4 to lay down the filesystem.

EDIT: This assumes you have a new slice of hard drive you'd like to use.. the mkfs command will wipe anything on that one. If you already have data on it, you'd need to set the partition flag to what existing filesystem is on there.. for instance, NTFS maybe for windows?

For the password question, you can go into your system prefs and should be able to disable password around the screensaver selection area.

You can install as many desktop environments (kde, gnome, xfce, etc..) as you like, then on your login screen, there's a drop-down to choose which you'd like to use.

Hope this helps!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts