Partition hdd for Linux

Hillbilly H

Reaction score
Credits
Do i need or is it recommended to partition a new 2t hhd for Linux?
ive always did it with windows for reinstalling the os but this is Linux.
P.S. i am currently running dual boot Mint 19.3 & win7 and upgrading to mint 20.1 only. ;)

If you want to perform a fresh installation of Mint 20.1 you can use the partition manager that comes with Mint to partition the drive.

Make sure in the upper right hand corner of the partition manager you choose the right device (HDD) you want to install Mint to. IF you only have one device, don't worry about it selecting a device.

Just before the partition manager shows up you'll have 3 choices, choose "something else".

Delete the Mint 19.3 partition.
Once that partition has been deleted use that free space for your Mint 20.1 installation.

To use that free space just click on it and make it a /ext 4 journaling file system.
If you need to make a swap partition than make your /ext 4 partition 1 gig short so you'll have 1 gig to create a swap partition.

If you don't understand take a screenshot of your partitions in gparted and post them here.

IS your computer a UEFI machine?

Thank you.
its the old fashion BiOS MB from 2009+-
The install is gong on a new hard drive. The drive that i am using "dual boot" will go into storage.
Linux Mint 20.1 will be the only OS.

Thank you.
its the old fashion BiOS MB from 2009+-
The install is gong on a new hard drive. The drive that i am using "dual boot" will go into storage.
Linux Mint 20.1 will be the only OS.
You're welcome-:)

Just make sure you have the right HDD selected during the install.

Cheers,
Alex

You're welcome-:)

Just make sure you have the right HDD selected during the install.

Cheers,
Alex
LOL i made that mistake once! :eek:

Do i need or is it recommended to partition a new 2t hhd for Linux?

Need to? No. No, ext4 can handle giant drives no problem.

Recommended? That'd depend on who you asked. I'd personally make at least one partition and use it for backups or data storage independent of the OS.

But, it's going to vary depending on who you ask. The great thing about this situation, and Linux in general, is you get to make your own choice. Sweet!

By the way, I did some looking around and the ext4 filesystem can handle a single partition of 1 EiB. Interestingly, Btrfs can handle up to 16 EiB.

EiB is exbibyte and it is, for wont of a better description, &@%*ing huge.

16 of 'em would be what scientists call a metric &@%*ton of data.

I stopped creating Partitions long ago in Windoze and when I switched to Linux, I did the same. :)

Back in the old days when Flash Drives were in Megabytes and External HDDs didn't exist, Internal HDDs (PATA) were very small, so storage space was a big problem. :(

On top of that, Windoze always sucked and was consistently breaking (just like today), not to mention viruses. So I created two Partitions...one for the OS and one for storage. When External HDDs and larger HDDs came along, plus HDD Clone/Imaging software, the need for me to create Partitions no longer made sense. ;)

When I do a clean install of Linux Mint on a 500GB SSD (my fav) I choose..."Erase Disk and Install Linux"...this puts the OS on the whole Drive...so my Root Partition is 500GB minus formatting of cause. ;)
On the Net and many Forums, Newbies are told to create a 20-40GB Partition for the OS (Root) and then Partition the rest of the Drive into smaller Partitions which must confuse the hell out of them as it's not necessary...just create folders...simple IMO. :)

Something I've always wondered...Those who like to put Root on a 20-40GB Partition...how do you squeeze a 50GB VM in it ? :p

On top of that, Windoze always sucked and was consistently breaking (just like today), not to mention viruses. So I created two Partitions...one for the OS and one for storage.
This is why i was told to always partition .

LOL i remember thinking at one time "5gig hhd i will never use it all!"

This is why i was told to always partition .

LOL i remember thinking at one time "5gig hhd i will never use it all!"
How did your fresh installation go?

All is good. :) im doing a time shift right now to external and onboard before i go messing around any further. :)

Last edited:
All is good. :) im doing a time shift right now to external and onboard before i go messing around any further. :)
Good going.
Thanks for the update and enjoy your new LM 20.1!

Thank you i am:)

Members online