$PATH output different from all seen examples

Alboy1975

Reaction score
Credits
Hi yet again.

I'm working through an online tutorial to better understand terminal, which I've now learned is a means of inputing commands, options and inputs which the shell then interprets and acts upon (bash being most common shell). The commands are stored within the path and are called upon when needed.

This where I begin to get a little worried. Typing echo $PATH into the terminal i receive the following output:

/home/allan/.local/share/umake/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin

but in the tutorial I am following the output is:
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin

Why the difference and does it matter? And, if it does matter, is there a way to fix without full reinstall?

Cheers

In the tutorial you're following, they're logged in as a different user on a different machine - you can expect the $PATH to change from machine to machine depending on who you're logged in as and what's set up..

For instance, you're logged in as 'allan', so you may see (you do, actually) something from your home directory in there - but if 'eric' logs in, he's not going to see that.

Members online

Latest posts