PC build questions.

NORD

Reaction score
Credits
I have never built a PC .
I'm looking for mainly just a home computer nothing high strung like the ultimate gaming computer.
But I was thinking maybe I should build my PC with gaming motherboard just because of all the stuff you can add later?
Anyways interested in what you guys have built looking for Ideas that won't cost me $3000 like a 3090 graphix card.
rather not spend money on a PC with windows installed.
Or maybe I should got to a pawn shop and see what they have...?

One of the cheapest ways to create your own box, for daily computing is to get one a few years old and add your own upgrades, but check the motherboard first to see how much can be done, the most common are, increase ram, add dedicated graphics card, add dedicated surround sound card, change the hard drives to SSD, and finally upgrade the processor heat sink [you may also need to upgrade the PSU to cover the extra power usage and the case cooling] all this can be done piecemeal as funds are available.

trouble is , i've had one or two 2nd hand PC and found with some the tower and its construction were absolute pigs. You should be able to get modest price towers . What you really want is to be able to access and retrieve HD etc easily ; i've see nsome sort of slide out jobs, rather than have to take out everything to get at stuff

Searching and researching parts also educational

My next question AMD or Intel lol!

That is a matter of preference, currently all my kit is intel, but my preferred brand has always been AMD

My next question AMD or Intel lol!
The better question is how do I choose, if you're upgrading a second hand machine, it doesn't matter, what is important is what slot the motherboard has and what is the best CPU you can get that will fit that slot and is compatible with the motherboard

I was looking at getting a mother board from Asus
Asus link
This should set me up good for sometime along with a fresh power supply and well vented case.

Omg the processors are expensive!
Might have to re think this lol!

Last edited:
Asus B550 MB and AMD. You can get like the AMD 5600G with Radeon Graphics. Add a GPU later it will still work. I started with an Asus B500M with WiFi and AMD Athlon 3000G. Still AM4 socket. 16gigs ram. I already Upgraded to the AMD 3600 when it was on sale for 199.00 went from 2 Core to 6 Core But then I just also bought an AMD 6600 8gb GPU for 399.00 at Micro Center about 2 weeks ago. I can pretty much keep upping my CPU to most of the Ryzen family.

RTX3090 would also be overkill for a home computer. List what games you want to run, then it would be easier to find something also, i would recommend an APU over a GPU with the price they are at now, so as long you are not looking to play in 4K RT with everything on max then you don't really need that. i have the 2070S, and it's fine for most games in 1080p.

Im not really a gamer I play COD mobile lol!
And retro games raspberry pi.

I have ran it on windows through the phone on samsung app dex and used a playstation remote as well so its not impossible?
haven't tried rpi tho...

One tip, don't build an ITX system since you need midget hands to put one together and have no room for anything else.

One tip, don't build an ITX system since you need midget hands to put one together and have no room for anything else.
Thanks i have sausage fingers

Members online