PCLinuxOS

• Thread starter Deleted member 101831
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 101831

A worthy Linux distro that is worth a look at.
Something different than the normal Linux distros.

Installs and works OOTB although a slight learning curve as the how to and the where are of certain things.
I don't know that I would recommend it for the new Linux user although not hard to figure most things out.

PCLinuxOS may not be for every user but I like it. :)

Read about it here.

Documentation here.

PCLOS is suitable for beginners, a la 10 best-linux-distros-for-beginners, which includes PCLOS
Enjoy!
OK it does install and work OOTB.
In fact everything can actually be set up through the user-inface without ever opening the Terminal.

I guess my reasoning where I said "I don't know that I would recommend it for the new Linux user" is the fact that I use the Terminal where a new user is probably not likely to go.

Sometimes I'm my worst enemy. :D

and another I'd never heard of -- GeckoLinux, a derivative of openSUSE.

I've heard of it and another on my list to try.
I believe it's a more user friendly disto then the oem openSUSE.
OpenSuse works OOTB however it sure ain't for the novice Linux user.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, GeckoLinux creator here. Thanks a lot for the recommendation.

I do truly believe that GeckoLinux is a *much* friendlier option for beginners, and I've tested it on a lot of friends that I've switched to Linux. It removes a lot of papercuts and pain points that I've observed in my experience switching new users to Linux.

Since GeckoLinux uses openSUSE repositories directly, it doesn't depend on me to keep working and updating, which is why I haven't updated the ISOs for a couple of years. After installation they can very easily be updated to the latest openSUSE packages. But at any rate, I'm currently working on refreshing all the ISOs, starting with the "STATIC" ones (based on Leap 15.2).

Cheers.

FWIW PCLinuxOS is still kicking ass and taking names I mean it rocks and it's awesome.

If you want a stable Linux distro PCLinuxOS is a good one based on my actual real world use.

Figured I'd report back and let it be known how well it is working for me.

Hi there, GeckoLinux creator here. Thanks a lot for the recommendation.

I do truly believe that GeckoLinux is a *much* friendlier option for beginners, and I've tested it on a lot of friends that I've switched to Linux. It removes a lot of papercuts and pain points that I've observed in my experience switching new users to Linux.

Since GeckoLinux uses openSUSE repositories directly, it doesn't depend on me to keep working and updating, which is why I haven't updated the ISOs for a couple of years. After installation they can very easily be updated to the latest openSUSE packages. But at any rate, I'm currently working on refreshing all the ISOs, starting with the "STATIC" ones (based on Leap 15.2).

Cheers.
Thank you for the informative reply to this thread, @GeckoLinux, and welcome!
I've been thinking of giving Gecko a try, myself, just to see what it's about. Most likely it will be my next ISO download.
Hasta luego!

G'day @GeckoLinux and welcome to linux.org :)

I've been a Gecko user for 3 - 4 years now.

Wile E. Coyote opened the door to talking Gecko with his reference above, but I would advocate you start a Thread on Gecko in this sub-forum, and tell us a bit about it.

You could put it in Suse/OpenSuse, but as you can see, there have been significant gaps in time between posting there, but your call.

That way we don't derail Nelson's Thread on PCLOS.

Nice Thread, Nelson :)

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

FWIW PCLinuxOS is still kicking ass and taking names I mean it rocks and it's awesome.

If you want a stable Linux distro PCLinuxOS is a good one based on my actual real world use.

Figured I'd report back and let it be known how well it is working for me.
I am personally glad you have found it more than adequate for your needs and preferences, @Nelson Muntz !

Keep on keepin' on about PCLinuxOS as, in my humble opinion, it is much better choice than the faddish Kali and Pop! now overly popularized for Newbies in some forums! It's a more suitable choice on which to begin one's Linux Journey.

Members online

Latest posts