Peaceful music for relaxation and concentration

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Share peaceful music you listen to when you need to relax or concentrate, emphasis to the word PEACEFUL.

emphasis to the word PEACEFUL.
I think it really depends on one's definition of "PEACEFUL".
I'm pretty sure I know what you mean - but I know a couple aficionados who would prefer 'Thrash Metal' for relaxing! ;)

It's a very, very long story (and one of many reasons why I've never done an intro thread), but I'm a classical guitarist by training. I used to be pretty poor and played in many, many bands. So far, nobody has ever thrown horns and yelled out for Fur Elise, but I'll be ready if they ever do! Anyhow, I played pretty much every style except classical.

So, have some Chopin.

I think it really depends on one's definition of "PEACEFUL".
I'm pretty sure I know what you mean - but I know a couple aficionados who would prefer 'Thrash Metal' for relaxing! ;)
I can imagine that some people find death metal relaxing but death metal is not peaceful.

I love classical guitar!

I've professionally performed pretty much everything but. Though, being classically trained made it easy to play all the other genres. I've been playing for more than five decades, diligently practicing the entire time. You mentioned thrash metal above, and along those lines I have a great deal of fondness for playing 'neoclassical metal'.

If I want to relax, or concentrate, I'll usually put on some light classical, or light jazz - basically anything instrumental and chilled out.

One notable exception that has vocals on it, that I listen to a lot for relaxation is an album by an Estonian band called Rondellus - The album is called 'Sabbatum' and it consists of Black Sabbath songs, played on medieval instruments and has all of the lyrics translated into latin and sang in a choral, or Gregorian chant style.
Generally speaking, the songs all have a very laid back pace and tone. A couple of them are a little bit rowdy, but on the whole the album is a very chilled out, relaxing, civilised affair!

I'll sometimes throw on Rodrigo Y Gabriela, but being flamenco guitarists, they're quite energetic. Not exactly quiet, but I do find it relaxing. And I find I can concentrate when listening to them!

Other times I might put on something altogether darker like Sunn O))) (drone), or something like Wardruna, or Gjallarhorn (Viking folk-type music). Not necessarily quiet, but it's atmospheric and I find it peaceful and relaxing.

Or the soundtrack works of Chu Ishikawa - a Japanese Industrial artist who scored films like Tokyo Fist and the Tetsuo films (Tetsuo - the Iron Man, Tetsuo 2 - Body Hammer and Tetsuo 3 - Bullet Man) etc etc.
Again, not always completely chilled out - sometimes the energy levels get quite high, but I find it relaxing.

Considering that I mostly listen to a lot of rock, punk and loud, fast, extreme metal, all of the above are pretty chilled out!! Ha ha!

This is one of the artists I play when I am writing and thinking about the things I think about
<iframe width="1264" height="711" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This the one I listen to when I want to remember the Ngurambang where my dreaming began

Last edited:
One notable exception that has vocals on it, that I listen to a lot for relaxation is an album by an Estonian band called Rondellus - The album is called 'Sabbatum' and it consists of Black Sabbath songs, played on medieval instruments and has all of the lyrics translated into latin and sang in a choral, or Gregorian chant style.
That is amazing! I am going to have to let my son - the Metal enthusiast - know of this one.
I listened to Black Sabbath back when I was a kid and I try to keep up with whatever my son happens to like at the moment. We both have very 'eclectic' taste in music - and we both like Jazz!

Hey Jas ( @JasKinasis ) , you may know the answer to this question; is there a name or genre for the type of smooth jazz one might hear in a club, bar room, dance hall, etc.? I would like to find some with a female vocalist and a 'laid back' easy going, "smooth" sound. I have some of what is categorized as "smooth jazz" but that's not quite what I am looking for. I would describe it for you but I don't know what to call it - hence the question! :)

That Viking track reminds of the style Einar Selvik does or is that him as well, I think it is :cool:!
Einar IS the frontman of Wardruna. He also used to be the drummer for Gorgoroth - a black metal band.

Hey Jas ( @JasKinasis ) , you may know the answer to this question; is there a name or genre for the type of smooth jazz one might hear in a club, bar room, dance hall, etc.? I would like to find some with a female vocalist and a 'laid back' easy going, "smooth" sound. I have some of what is categorized as "smooth jazz" but that's not quite what I am looking for. I would describe it for you but I don't know what to call it - hence the question! :)
I'm not sure offhand, would that be classed as Lounge Jazz?!
IDK - there are a lot of Jazz subgenre's - I like a lot of different types of Jazz music, but I've never really bothered too much with sub-genres.
It's the same with Metal - so many sub-genres - I don't even try bothering to follow any particaular sub-genre. I either like it or I don't! Ha ha!

But a quick bit of duckduckgo-fu yielded this for smooth jazz:

I don't know if that helps?!

That is amazing! I am going to have to let my son - the Metal enthusiast - know of this one.
I listened to Black Sabbath back when I was a kid and I try to keep up with whatever my son happens to like at the moment.
That Rondellus album truly is something special. I've been listening to this since it first came out in 2003!

@Vrai , @JasKinasis
I take it both of you like jazz?
I don't mind it once in awhile or as a change in a playlist of music as long as it fits in to the flow of the songs and instrumentals of the playlist.
Always enjoyed Dave Brubeck and a couple of his contemporaries.

Turn the volume down

Naah - I always have the volume up on Echoes.

All I have to hear is "overhead the albatross" and I can drift off to sleep with a smile on me dial (face).

Wiz

Members online