permission issues with gnome log viewer in Cinnamon

Northerner

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
I recently swapped over to cinnamon and generally it's been a great experience. For some reason though I can't get permissions to view any logs with the "logs" viewer attached to the --gapplication-service even though a standard user should be able to see application logs at least.
I'm logged in as a domain user as an administrator though... coming from KDE it's a bit weird.
Anyone got any tips please?

G'day @Northerner and welcome to linux.org :)

North of where?? England, USA, Canada, Australia :D:D

(you'll get used to Aussie humour or else ... you won't)

...swapped over to cinnamon

... from KDE, as you say ...

But which Distro, Mate?

My guess is Ubuntu or one of the other Debian-based Distros, partly because of

--gapplication-service

.. but we'll see if I have egg on my face, lol.

Tell us as much as you can, and someone can likely help you, maybe even me (You should BE so lucky)

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hi Chris,
Long time no see mate. You remember me as TsVk!. ;) How you doing out there in the sticks? Good to see you've found a forum home here.
Still in the north of our great sunny (flood, fire and storm whipped) land. Will be here till I die I reckon.
So yeah, I'm on Debian 9.7, don't really know what else to say. Gnome permissions are weird, I can't even figure out what I'm supposed to be taking control of.
John

Good to see you here, John........
aWZkM0E.jpg

Brian

Hey Brian. No way mate! Didn't expect to find you here. :D

It's like a waypoint, people from all different forums coming together.

My last linux.org account got hosed ages ago... it's nice to be around again.

Birds of a feather flock together !!

My Goodness! Good to see you Mate, still in the Whitsundays, eh.

Yeah, after getting kicked out of the old place, I found here, recommended it to Brian, he joined a couple of hours before me, all around 1 May 2017, coming up on 2 years.

And they made me a Super Moderator 5 - 6 months ago, ain't that a hoot?

I think you'll like it here. :)

We'll talk, more, no doubt, but in the meantime, I will get scouting on the support side of this Thread.

Be back when I can

Wizard

BTW - bushfires here, place surrounded in smoke coming up from the NSW border. We should be good, though

I cant wait to get back to NSW to smell some fair dinkum bushfire smoke !!!

You know you are bent, don't you? o_O:rolleyes:

But I understand you miss Oz, Mate ;)

@Northerner

John just a holding post for now. I don't have a Stretch Cinnamon onboard at the moment, but I have a Stretch MATE on the other rig, a Toshiba, so I'll take a look with it.

Available to me is v3.22.1-2 - does that sound close? (I haven't run updates yet)

Wiz

My version is 3.2.7.
I was looking at it again this morning. My account type is administrator and my groups memberships include adm and sudo.
This is a pretty old install though, maybe 10 years. Maybe I've hosed something up over time.

I fixed it.

Readded my permission groups from command line, logged out, logged back in, presto.

Dunno why. Doesn't matter now I guess.

Sounds good to me :)

I got as far as installing gnome-logs on my Stretch MATE, but have not much of an idea of what its functionality is comprised of.

Like the avatar. c u around. ;)

Chris

Latest posts