Pinxi the New inxi

craigevil

Reaction score
Credits
How to Install:
Code:
cd /usr/local/bin; wget -O pinxi smxi.org/pinxi; chmod +x pinxi

Usage and output is the same as inxi. It is h2's new version of inxi written in Perl. https://smxi.org/docs/inxi.htm
In case you did not already know there is a IRC channel for support:
  • IRC: server: irc.oftc.net channel: #smxi - be prepared to wait a while for a response.
$ pinxi -b
System: Host: raspberrypi Kernel: 5.10.20-v8+ aarch64 bits: 64 Desktop: LXDE 0.10.0 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Machine: Type: ARM Device System: Raspberry Pi 400 Rev 1.0 details: BCM2835 rev: c03130 serial: N/A
CPU: Info: Quad Core Model N/A [MCP] speed: 2000 MHz max: 2000 MHz
Graphics: Device-1: bcm2711-vc5 driver: vc4_drm v: N/A
Device-2: bcm2711-hdmi0 driver: N/A
Device-3: bcm2711-hdmi1 driver: N/A
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev resolution: 1360x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: V3D 4.2 v: 2.1 Mesa 19.3.2
Network: Device-1: bcm2835-mmc driver: mmc_bcm2835
Device-2: bcm2711-genet-v5 driver: bcmgenet
Drives: Local Storage: total: 471.17 GiB used: 49.79 GiB (10.6%)
Info: Processes: 210 Uptime: 18h 09m Memory: 3.78 GiB used: 2.08 GiB (55.1%) gpu: 76 MiB Shell: Bash pinxi: 3.3.01-93

I'm pretty sure that inxi has been transitioned to Perl, and that pinxi was the Perl development branch while inxi still existed as bash and awk. This was all taking place around 2018 - 2019.

And the smxi home page doesn't list pinxi anymore.

pinxi was initially the development branch for the inxi perl rewrite, but after that rewrite, I decided to just make it the permanent development branch since that worked so well. Basically if you use pinxi, you are always going to have the latest features and bugs, it's the 'unstable' branch, which then becomes next inxi when the new stuff or bug fixes etc are done. Having pinxi lets me run both side by side, which is extremely helpful for development. I don't personally use inxi except to test it before release of the next inxi, or to verify some data or changes that are being done in pinxi. For example, pinxi is currently at 3.3.01-95 which will soon become inxi 3.3.02, if I can ever get all the new stuff stable.

Once installed, you update it with -U, so you only have to install it once per system.

Last edited:
pinxi isn't the new version of inxi, it's the development branch of inxi, which then becomes next inxi, just like debian testing becomes next stable.
My misunderstanding. :)

Basically if you use pinxi, you are always going to have the latest features and bugs, ...
Honesty is refreshing! Features are good. Bugs, well, ...

:)

it's the development branch, so I don't care if a bug is in it for a bit, I try to avoid just one class, the ones that make perl crash and fail to execute, since that would break the -U updater feature, but otherwise, with new features/code, almost certainly, by definition, one expects new bugs. In this case, I expect bugs because the core logic has been majorly upgraded in several key areas, which means, while I have myself been unable to trigger bugs anymore as of today, that's just using the systems I have to test with, which is never enough to really catch the bugs since they all tend to reflect the same person's way of setting up systems.

If anyone wants to try the current version:

Code:
cd /usr/local/bin && wget -O pinxi smxi.org/pinxi && chmod +x pinxi
# then after that, just run
pinxi -U
# to get latest version instantly.

pinxi currently has a massive number of changes and new features and fixed features, also major updates to BSD support, USB support, bluetooth support, etc...

If anyone wants to try the current version:
Needs to install as root, of course... or else with sudo (below)
Code:
cd /usr/local/bin && sudo wget -O pinxi smxi.org/pinxi && sudo chmod +x pinxi

Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

There's one more habit I'm starting to get into since I leave vms untouched for years, it's to have everything ready to update pinxi again, by doing this: chown h2:h2 pinxi [obviously replace h2 with your user name]. this is very helpful I find.

Members online