Please Advice for buying new Laptop working with Linux Mint

starshine_lin

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Linux Users,
please can you give me advice for a good laptop on which Linux Mint will function 100%? Which laptop can you please recommend?
I read that some laptops make problems installing Mint... that is why I am asking .. I have never used Linux before but want to use it from now on the rest of my life!
I need the laptop for audio and video production.
Probably I only can get a new Laptop with an other OS, which then I need to delete and then I want to install Mint.

Thank you for an answer!

Kind regards
Christian

Last edited:

Welcome to the forums
The biggest problem with the Latest cutting edge kit is it takes a while for the various Linux driver programmers to catch up and back engineer drivers, Personally I would go for a second hand laptop say 2/3 yrs old that was built for gaming with the AMD Ryzen processor and ATI graphics both very compatible with Linux, the only other possible problem will be the WI-Fi card, many will install without question, some will take work and there are a couple that still cause problems,
How Do I Install Linux (A General Guide) • Linux Tips

Welcome to the forums
The biggest problem with the Latest cutting edge kit is it takes a while for the various Linux driver programmers to catch up and back engineer drivers, Personally I would go for a second hand laptop say 2/3 yrs old that was built for gaming with the AMD Ryzen processor and ATI graphics both very compatible with Linux, the only other possible problem will be the WI-Fi card, many will install without question, some will take work and there are a couple that still cause problems,
How Do I Install Linux (A General Guide) • Linux Tips
Thank you very much for taking your time and your very helpful advice! I will definitely look for an older model now.
Do you think an older Lenovo laptop with AMD Ryzen is a good idea?
Or better Asus or HP?

I picked up a brand new MSI Modern 15 and didn't need to install so much as a driver.

I will definitely look for an older model now.
the choice must be yours based on your needs, @kgill has offered one possibility, it will depend on largely what country you are in as to the selection of makes available also your needs, and what screen size you need, but for video rendering you need a machine with as much ram as possible

I just grabbed one that had an Intel GPU (on board graphics) knowing that I could resolve any other issues. Alas, there weren't any issues to resolve - it literally just works perfectly out of the box. I bought it to test Lubuntu daily builds on real hardware and haven't even had to do so much as tinker with anything, not even WiFi - it just works.

I think this article may help you
/www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-laptops-for-video-editing

I bought a new Micro$oft Surface Go Laptop at BestBuy just a few weeks ago. I then tried out, installed three different distros, Linux Mint worked fine with no problems what so ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online